DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/596431-titanic-3d-cameron-re-release.html)

Nick Martin 11-15-11 06:54 PM

TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

Threads have been made in the HD Talk forum for the eventual Blu-ray, but the theatrical re-release doesn't have a thread, so here it is.

Poster:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FeRV4uvHFB...15%2B19.26.jpg

High res version:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...7/bd051eef.jpg

According to the film's official facebook page, a trailer for the new version will be released online tomorrow (November 16) while it will be shown theatrically starting this upcoming Friday.

This is an $18 Million production utilizing some 300 digital artists, and the film underwent early conversions several years ago, just to see if it could be done.

I personally have never seen a post-converted 3D film but Jim Cameron is determined (and we all know how determined he can be, and rightly so) to get this conversion to look as good as if it were shot natively in 3D. Sources will take some googling but apparently it underwent a 4K transfer and enhancement before the 3D process began, so while Titanic will be the movie people still seemingly love to hate for many, from a technical standpoint this is sure to impress a great deal.

If I can find some sources of info, I'll link them here.

The release date is intentional, coming as close to the 100th anniversary of the ship's maiden (and only) voyage.

Murdoch fans, prepare to be pissed! :D

Official Trailer - direct download:

480p

720p

1080p

These do not have the Jim Cameron intro, and the audio is mastered at 96kHz, while still in stereo.

Giles 11-15-11 08:02 PM

re: TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

IMAX 3D ? oh interesting. Even though it's getting a 3D release, I'm pretty sure that I saw that it will also see 2D release as well - any news of the audio mix, 7.1??

Titanic's facebook page denotes:
"We are letting our Facebook fans be the first to see the new trailer for Titanic tomorrow at 10am PST! We are so excited to share it with you!"

islandclaws 11-15-11 08:12 PM

Never saw it in 2D. I can't see 3D changing that...

Crocker Jarmen 11-15-11 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11006288)
Never saw it in 2D. I can't see 3D changing that...

Thanks for the fascinating update.

Goat3001 11-15-11 08:31 PM

"And for my next trick, I'm going to make you another billion dollars by making them all pay for a movie they already paid a billion dollars to see" -James Cameron to studio exec

My Other Self 11-15-11 08:43 PM

I've seen Titanic too many times to count since it tends to be on TNT every Sunday afternoon but this may be worth it just to see what Cameron can pull off.

If this is a success maybe he'll be motivated to post-convert Terminator 2.

Matthew Chmiel 11-15-11 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11006278)
IMAX 3D ? oh interesting. Even though it's getting a 3D release, I'm pretty sure that I saw that it will also see 2D release as well - any news of the audio mix, 7.1??

Titanic's facebook page denotes:
"We are letting our Facebook fans be the first to see the new trailer for Titanic tomorrow at 10am PST! We are so excited to share it with you!"

Digital IMAX 3D, not 70mm IMAX 3D.

No news on the audio mix, but I'd be genuinely surprised if there wasn't a 7.1 mix based upon Cameron and Lightstorm's past efforts.

Cameron and company have spent nearly the past two years on the film's restoration and 3D conversion. The early reviews from that twenty-minute screening in the UK months ago said the film looked like it was just shot and the 3D was amazing. Again, I can't see Cameron putting out something that looks subpar.

Nick Martin 11-16-11 01:22 AM

It's strange that 7.1 is "new" for theatrical presentations, while its been available for home theater for a long time, despite not having a long list of actual 7.1 Blu-ray titles around.

Most movies haven't been actually mixed for 7.1 but that's obviously changing now, and I recently read something Jim Cameron's friend / composer James Horner said on the subject of surround mixing:

“The problem is that when you do a film in a 5.1 or 7.1 (Surround Sound) presentation or you rely on sounds to come out of surround speakers, the whole film presentation is relying on the theater owners’ technology."

Noting that some theaters are not equipped or maintained to accommodate the format, he said, “Consequently, filmmakers are reluctant to rely on the 200 or so prestigious theaters in the US for surround sound. I’d love to have things come out around the theater discretely, sound effects people would as well. But it is such a risk to do that because in smaller theaters they don’t necessarily have that stuff working technically. If you commit, and (the speakers) are not running, the film doesn’t get presented in its best form. So you have to make some compromises in what you put into the film and how it is presented so that it plays in the majority of theaters.”

That came from The Hollywood Reporter, and what he's essentially saying is what many here have said about IMAX and what defines "true" IMAX from the smaller venues. If the theaters aren't equipped, the filmmakers' intention for presentation is compromised.

DeanoBKN 11-16-11 08:53 AM

Sweet! Now that guy falling off the boat and hitting the propellers will really have some depth to it!

JayDerek 11-16-11 09:27 AM

Post Convert me to 3D like one of your French girls, James

MrSmearkase 11-16-11 09:52 AM

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31270261" width="549" height="412" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Kal-El 11-16-11 11:14 AM

The trailer premieres today at 10am PST

Nick Martin 11-16-11 11:44 AM

That video above was great. Just some first impressions and it was enough. This is going to be a great experience to return to.

rexinnih 11-16-11 11:49 AM

Not sure about the 3D but if this is a step towards a fantastic BD release, I'm all for it.

LickTheABCs 11-16-11 11:49 AM

"This is your one and only chance (unless you're unfortunate enough to experience it first-hand) to experience getting a Murdoch pulled on you in 3D!!!"

I only saw the film once, on DVD so depending on how the 3D is used (and from what is being said, most likely really well..) I'll probably check this out.

Nick Martin 11-16-11 12:22 PM

Facebook trailer with introduction by Jim Cameron:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50370790403918

Kal-El 11-16-11 01:50 PM

That final shot of the trailer was what sold me the first time. Can't wait 'til next year. right around my birthday too.

Giles 11-16-11 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11006513)
Digital IMAX 3D, not 70mm IMAX 3D.

No news on the audio mix, but I'd be genuinely surprised if there wasn't a 7.1 mix based upon Cameron and Lightstorm's past efforts.

Cameron and company have spent nearly the past two years on the film's restoration and 3D conversion. The early reviews from that twenty-minute screening in the UK months ago said the film looked like it was just shot and the 3D was amazing. Again, I can't see Cameron putting out something that looks subpar.

Originally Posted by Nick Martin (Post 11006594)
It's strange that 7.1 is "new" for theatrical presentations, while its been available for home theater for a long time, despite not having a long list of actual 7.1 Blu-ray titles around.

Most movies haven't been actually mixed for 7.1 but that's obviously changing now, and I recently read something Jim Cameron's friend / composer James Horner said on the subject of surround mixing:

“The problem is that when you do a film in a 5.1 or 7.1 (Surround Sound) presentation or you rely on sounds to come out of surround speakers, the whole film presentation is relying on the theater owners’ technology."

Noting that some theaters are not equipped or maintained to accommodate the format, he said, “Consequently, filmmakers are reluctant to rely on the 200 or so prestigious theaters in the US for surround sound. I’d love to have things come out around the theater discretely, sound effects people would as well. But it is such a risk to do that because in smaller theaters they don’t necessarily have that stuff working technically. If you commit, and (the speakers) are not running, the film doesn’t get presented in its best form. So you have to make some compromises in what you put into the film and how it is presented so that it plays in the majority of theaters.”

That came from The Hollywood Reporter, and what he's essentially saying is what many here have said about IMAX and what defines "true" IMAX from the smaller venues. If the theaters aren't equipped, the filmmakers' intention for presentation is compromised.

@ Matthew: so no, IMAX 15/70 prints are being made... at all?, oh that sucks

@ Nick: 7.1 (with four discrete surround sound) came out to theaters in 2010 - with the release of 'Toy Story 3' and yes you're right about 7.1 being encoded on blurays first, the first being released in April of 2007. Considering the DVD of 'Titanic' was mixed in 6.1 sound (Dolby EX and DTS ES) creating a 7.1 mix is relatively easy since the original sound stems exist to extract and make the rear center of sound in actual stereo. There are currently around 2,300 theaters (at least) that can playback in 7.1 - the alternate non-IMAX big screens (ETX, XD, etc.) screens feature this as an incentive over the IMAX 5.1 mix - it would behove filmmakers to deliver state of the art sound alongside the advances of camera, digital exhibition technology.

Mabuse 11-16-11 04:42 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to Dolby EX 7.1 wasn't there a version of Sony's SDDS for theaters that was 7.1? It was 5 speakers behind the screen and stereo surrounds, but still it was 7 discrete chanels.

Giles 11-16-11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 11007401)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to Dolby EX 7.1 wasn't there a version of Sony's SDDS for theaters that was 7.1? It was 5 speakers behind the screen and stereo surrounds, but still it was 7 discrete chanels.

correct

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Wikisdds8.png

interestingly, DCI compliant processors can in fact decode the five front sound if and when a studio/film is actually mixed and encoded as such, I'm surprised we haven't yet heard a film released in five front/four surround/bass: 10 channel sound - time will tell.

Mr. Cinema 11-16-11 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 11007002)
Not sure about the 3D but if this is a step towards a fantastic BD release, I'm all for it.

I'll probably pass on the 3D theatrical, but at least this ensures us to a BD release, just in time for the 15th anniversary.

Giles 11-16-11 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 11007416)
I'll probably pass on the 3D theatrical, but at least this ensures us to a BD release, just in time for the 15th anniversary.

I'm still on the fence over seeing this in 3D since I feel it exploits the tragedy - but my understanding is that digital theaters can alternate between showing this in 3D and 2D digital projection - I'd like to see this in the latter in particular since the film was retransferred in 4K - if there's one film that would look great in true 4K DLP/'Sony' LCoS - this is it!

Mabuse 11-16-11 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11007405)
correct

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Wikisdds8.png

interestingly, DCI compliant processors can in fact decode the five front sound if and when a studio/film is actually mixed and encoded as such, I'm surprised we haven't yet heard a film released in five front/four surround/bass: 10 channel sound - time will tell.

Wasn't there an experiment done with We Were Soldiers mixed to 10 channels, or maybe it was even 16? I think it only played in one special theater.

Giles 11-16-11 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 11007451)
Wasn't there an experiment done with We Were Soldiers mixed to 10 channels, or maybe it was even 16? I think it only played in one special theater.

yes it was an experiment - not sure how many speakers were implemented, but I do remember reading that it featured a ceiling 'voice of god' channel of sound

Mr. Cinema 11-16-11 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11007434)
I'm still on the fence over seeing this in 3D since I feel it exploits the tragedy - but my understanding is that digital theaters can alternate between showing this in 3D and 2D digital projection - I'd like to see this in the latter in particular since the film was retransferred in 4K - if there's one film that would look great in true 4K DLP/'Sony' LCoS - this is it!

I'd like to see a new 7.1 mix with this film.