Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 07:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: TITANIC in 3D (Cameron) - re-release

I was expressing an opinion.
Old 01-24-12, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
sheesh - who pissed in your magarita?
well he's right.

What beat Citizen Kane? How Green Was My Valley, that's who. No offense to John Ford, fucking love his work, but it ain't better than Citizen Kane that's a fact. Also where the fuck is How Green Was My Valley in the common know of people who watch movies? Hell...how about out of us? Almost nowhere. Good film I enjoy it very much. But it's no CK. Nowhere near that power of quality.

Awards don't mean a film will be heralded over time.
Old 01-24-12, 07:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not against his opinion, it's his bluntness.
Old 01-24-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well he's right.

What beat Citizen Kane? How Green Was My Valley, that's who. No offense to John Ford, fucking love his work, but it ain't better than Citizen Kane that's a fact. Also where the fuck is How Green Was My Valley in the common know of people who watch movies? Hell...how about out of us? Almost nowhere. Good film I enjoy it very much. But it's no CK. Nowhere near that power of quality.

I'll be honest. I consider myself a film buff and I never heard of How Green Was My Valley. I also didn't know anything beat Citizen Kane.

Jeez I need to brush up on my film history.
Old 01-24-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
Loved it in 1997. Lost the SE in my divorce. Can't wait to pick it up on Blu Ray.
Part of the settlement was the Titanic DVD? Would loved to have been in the room when the lawyers mentioned that.
Old 01-24-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume the DVD is out of print these days given the high prices. Does anyone remember when it went out of print by any chance? Just sheer curiosity and simple Google search didn't satisfy my craving.
Old 01-24-12, 11:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder how many of the film's visual bloopers will be removed for this release - notably the instances you notice the beach and a hill in the horizon in two shot from off the deck of the ship. Cameron digitally removed a visual gaffe from 'Aliens' for the bluray release - so it won't be all that a surprise if he does.
Old 01-24-12, 11:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

First Officer Murdoch now has a walkie-talkie?
Old 01-25-12, 12:25 AM
Banned by request

Old 01-25-12, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Right, but you hear the melody that Horner used as the basis for the song at several points in the film. I could see that being annoying to someone who grew to hate the song.
The thing is (and being as massive a fan of James Horner that I am, I certainly pay attention to the endless array of criticism and hate thrown at him) I've never really heard much at all over the years criticizing or disliking the theme itself. The theme really gets to shine over the two classic (there's that word again!) moments of the 'flying' sequence and of course the sketching. It's a lovely theme, and I speak only from personal perception but I don't hear Celine Dion when I hear that theme in the film at all. It's a separate piece to me. The song is just "the song".

The criticism I've always found is reserved for the lyrics and of course Celine Dion. That's probably why many assumed it was her who wrote it and probably thought it was her voice throughout the score, which it wasn't.

In the end credits, I don't have much of a feeling one way or the other about it. It's an appropriate closing for the movie, and I don't turn it off or mute it, but every time I hear it out of context like on the radio in a grocery store, I just despise the sound of it. Weird, but there it is.

I don't care about Oscars, how much money a movie makes, and I've never seen Casablanca or Citizen Kane and unless I happen to catch them on television, I have no desire to either.

I just know what I like and to each their own about it. If that means I've missed out on major film history and culture, who cares? It's not like it affects anyone else. I've never seen a Transformers movie either.
Old 01-25-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Part of the settlement was the Titanic DVD? Would loved to have been in the room when the lawyers mentioned that.
Actually, the distribution of DVDs was in fact part of the deal. I left the house and the DVDs behind and she cherry picked through the collection at some point. Since I still got he bulk of the collection, we agreed she got to keep what she had and I kept the rest. But Titanic was one of the movies she took.

I thought I'd never let go... but I was wrong.
Old 01-25-12, 11:26 AM
Banned

I love that story.
Old 01-25-12, 11:43 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

well he's right.

How Green Was My Valley is an extremely good film, it IS widely praised, and it is considered among Ford's very best films. CK losing to How Green may have been the wrong call by the Academy but it's hardly an injustice. How Green is REALLY good and if CK didn't exist people would point to 1941 as a year when the academy got it right. Furthermore, Welles loved John Ford, studied his films endlessly, and Greg Toland perfected his CK deep focus style on Ford's The Long Voyage Home. Maybe CK should have won, but How Green is still a respectable choice. I'm sure Welles was a lot happier to lose to John Ford than to Mitchell Leisen for Hold Back the Dawn.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-25-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 12:00 PM
Banned

true praised and all but it's almost obscure among general moviegoer.
Old 01-25-12, 04:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

true praised and all but it's almost obscure among general moviegoer.
Every movie nominated that year is obscure among "general" moviegoers. I bet most of them have never seen Hitch's Suspicion, The Maltese Falcon, or Seargent York. But those are still MAJOR films, then and today. The general moviegoer would say that Blue Velvet is obscure. Anything from 1941 practily doesn't exist in the mind of a "general" moviegoer.
Old 01-25-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Whoah what? The DVD is going for $35 bucks? Time to sell.
Old 01-25-12, 11:14 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I've never seen Casablanca or Citizen Kane and unless I happen to catch them on television, I have no desire to either.

I just know what I like and to each their own about it. If that means I've missed out on major film history and culture, who cares?
You should. That's like saying "I've never tried world class cuisine, and I know I wouldn't like it, but McDonald's is classic!"
Old 01-25-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Whoah what? The DVD is going for $35 bucks? Time to sell.
Especially since you'll be able to buy the blu ray for less than that in a few months.
Old 01-26-12, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You should. That's like saying "I've never tried world class cuisine, and I know I wouldn't like it, but McDonald's is classic!"
I don't like McDonalds.

All I'm saying is that none of this shit really matters to me. If I'm going to see something, it's because I want to see it, not because other people are.

I didn't say I know I wouldn't like those films, I said I have no interest in seeing them. Not the same thing. If you want to crap all over Titanic and say 'but these other movies are better', fine, but what does it matter to me? I don't know if they are better because I haven't seen them. Maybe some day, but I'm in no hurry because it doesn't matter either way.

I know some people like to think that with certain films or music, or whatever the case might be there are those which are "supposed" to be enjoyed, supposed to be liked or loved as if it's a rule or something. (the notion of "you're not a real fan if you haven't experienced '_______________________' ") I don't happen to think that way, that's all.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 01-26-12 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 01:56 PM
Banned by request

I never said you're not a real fan. I'm saying you have no basis for comparison.
Old 01-26-12, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I too am for this in 3D.

I will not sit idly by why you people shart all over it.

This is the Must See event of the year!

I cannot wait to hear My Heart Will Go On in 3D! Should be terrific.

I can't wait to see all the young bulls grasping out at the air during the sketch scene.

Here I am in my favorite shirt.
Old 01-26-12, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I never said you're not a real fan. I'm saying you have no basis for comparison.
I don't recall comparing anything, I said I don't care either way about seeing these classic movies.

Sounds more like I made a point of saying I cannot compare anything.

I've never had an interest in the Lord of the Rings series so I haven't seen those either.

Also you'll clearly see I said 'some people' think along those lines. Not you specifically, but there are indeed some people out there who do think that way about things. I don't know why, but for whatever reason someone will say "you call yourself a fan of Rock but haven't heard Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon? you're no fan" or something along those lines but I didn't say you specifically said anything like that.
Old 03-25-12, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like how the TV spots are billing this as being "From the director of Avatar..."
Old 03-25-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie is 15 years old. A whole new generation is there that wasn't alive when it was released and the only Cameron big movie they've had released in their life is Avatar.
Old 03-25-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Here I am in my favorite shirt.
Mmmm. I like that shirt too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.