Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Grown Ups got 10% on RT and grossed $271M. So what's your point?
Relax, I was making an observation.
Old 02-23-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Grown Ups got 10% on RT and grossed $271M. So what's your point?
I think that the "masses are asses," which is pretty accurate.

I have a much lower tolerance for comedies that get bad reviews than action or horror, probably because the latter two can still entertain despite their shortcomings most of the time.
Old 02-23-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll probably go see it so I can at least support something that ticks off the Hollywood elite
Old 02-24-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Never played the game, but if it's like a game then I might as well play the game instead of supporting some lame propaganda film.
I really don't understand the this-movie-is-propaganda-so-therefore-it-must-suck mentality. So what if it promotes America's military? It's not like you're going to be harangued by recruiters as you walk out of the theater. That the film casts our military in a positive light is a grand thing. Don't get at all how anyone could dismiss something solely because it promotes patriotism and celebrates our servicemen.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 02-24-12 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I'll probably go see it so I can at least support something that ticks off the Hollywood elite
Old 02-24-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The action scenes are great. But when they arent shooting...wow. It's so bad. One of the early scenes is in a diner/bar and it is cringe inducing. Imagine watching a jr. high school play, but with adults.

But when the guns come out, it's some of the best war scenes I've seen. You do get the feeling that it's an 'America, Fuck Yeah!' message, but it doesnt try to hide it all, so it's not a big deal.

D
Old 02-24-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I really don't understand the this-movie-is-propaganda-so-therefore-it-must-suck mentality. So what if it promotes America's military? It's not like you're going to be harangued by recruiters as you walk out of the theater. That the film casts our military in a positive light is a grand thing. Don't get at all how anyone could dismiss something solely because it promotes patriotism and celebrates our servicemen.

You know, because it has an agenda. It's the same thing if I were to go see a film that promotes *fill in the blank* - why would I subject myself to that?

It's a recruiting film disguised as a feature film which has no place (if you want to get technical) in cinemas. Save it for the military recruiting stations, but not at my local cinema or general consumption.

No, I won't be "harangued" by recruiters, I'll just be harangued by the movie itself.

I never said it sucked, in fact, it looks alright for what it is. I'm just not going to support it due to the fact that before this was turned into a feature film it was used as a tool to for recruiting people into the military by showing them what neat things the military guys do. Please.

I bet there would be a gigantic backlash if this film focused on social issues.
Old 02-24-12, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Do you feel the same way about "Top Gun" or "The Hunt for Red October"? Hell, there was a table with recruiters in the theater lobby when I saw Red October.

Again, I ask, why is it bad if a movie might make someone think about joining the military? How is that harmful to the country?
Old 02-24-12, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My goodness do I love The Hunt For Red October, but it damn sure never made me want to join the Navy.
Old 02-24-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Do you feel the same way about "Top Gun" or "The Hunt for Red October"? Hell, there was a table with recruiters in the theater lobby when I saw Red October.

Again, I ask, why is it bad if a movie might make someone think about joining the military? How is that harmful to the country?

Filmed ENTERTAINMENT is simply that. It's not suppose to attach an overt agenda like making the military look neat so I can join.

I'm assuming they changed the laws since you last saw Hunt of Red October in not allowing military recruiters in the lobby of movie theaters.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-24-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COD: Modern Warfare indeed, complete with red low-healthbar screen!

The leads' acting can be quite bad, especially in the first act, but once the film kicks into its first action scene (an insanely tenseone, and the best of the film I think), the poor line delivery doesn't offend so much. In fact, a favorite scene that takes place on a boat doesn't involve a guns at all, but just two guys chatting up the state of the world.
Old 02-24-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What about a movie that that had an overt agenda that was pro-police or firefighter? Or even a doctor or teacher? Do those films get a pass but a film that shows the military in a good light does not?
Old 02-24-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What about a movie that that had an overt agenda that was pro-police or firefighter? Or even a doctor or teacher? Do those films get a pass but a film that shows the military in a good light does not?

No, because unless the doctor or teacher are good with automatic weaponry then no one will care.

The military is fun! Join up kids!
Old 02-24-12, 11:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

pretty sure the video games of BF:BC, BF3, COD:MW, Medal of Honor have done more for recruitment than any movie ever will.
Old 02-24-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The movie started as a 7 minute recruitment film for the Navy SEALS, so the final product being propaganda isn't much of a surprise.

It's also rated R, not G. It fits fine in cinemas alongside all those agenda documentaries that play constantly, pro-steroid/vegan/liberal/conservative/etc; but you know, this one is about as realistic as CoD:MW, or an episode of The Unit. And probably less realistic than Black Hawk Down.

Not like they're planning to show it in schools or do a special "Unedited Broadcast Airing" like they did for Schindler's List years ago.

Still, looks a little too stupid to see in theaters, but I'll probably watch it on Blu for some explosiveness in the HT.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-24-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, because unless the doctor or teacher are good with automatic weaponry then no one will care.

The military is fun! Join up kids!
You make it sound like everyone who joins the military becomes some sort of sniper/assassin. If someone wants to serve their country after watching this movie, more power to them. Will they get to become a Navy SEAL? In most cases, no.

I really don't see that many kids heading to their local recruiter's office asking about the SEAL program after seeing this movie. There are plenty of video games they can play. When Top Gun came out there was a huge interest in becoming a Navy pilot. A lot of today's commercial pilots came out the military. Also a lot of policemen and firemen. People that risk their lives to protect yours.
Old 02-24-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Filmed ENTERTAINMENT is simply that. It's not suppose to attach an overt agenda like making the military look neat so I can join.

I'm assuming they changed the laws since you last saw Hunt of Red October in not allowing military recruiters in the lobby of movie theaters.
I don't want to sound like a cliche so I'll try my best not to. Would you rather deal with some pro-military film and /or tv shows that try to instill the idea that the military is a legit career option or have manditory service time?

You should stop to remember there is no draft, or other system that compells you to serve, and that the military has to advertise themselves like any other organization that wants employees.

I would say stop whining about a movie that you don't even have to see, but the guys on the screen up there do what they do so that you get to keep your right to complain.
Old 02-24-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

If you're going to show a blatantly militaristic recruitment tool to gullible young men and women, then you really ought to be honest and show what they have to look forward to: PTSD, crippling injuries, and a citizenry that will thank them for their service and then vote against pay raises and funding for the VA.
Old 02-24-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gobear
If you're going to show a blatantly militaristic recruitment tool to gullible young men and women, then you really ought to be honest and show what they have to look forward to: PTSD, crippling injuries, and a citizenry that will thank them for their service and then vote against pay raises and funding for the VA.
Exactly.

It reminds me of those Marines commercials in the 90s. One of them showed a guy fighting a dragon and slaying it. I remember my friend saying that if you actually got to slay dragons then he'd sign up in a heart beat.
Old 02-24-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm an Army vet and have no PTSD or crippling injuries, but thanks for the sweeping blanket satement.
Old 02-24-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I'm an Army vet and have no PTSD or crippling injuries, but thanks for the sweeping blanket satement.
Civilians, you can't live with them and you can't shoot them.
Old 02-24-12, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gain, I ask, why is it bad if a movie might make someone think about joining the military? How is that harmful to the country?
They are not upset if a film has an agenda. They are only upset when a film has an agenda that they do not agree with. If the agenda was something that they supported, the vagina between their ears that is incapable of logical thought would have a big juicy orgasm. However, since the agenda of this film makes the vagina between their ears cry, they complain and whine about the movie.

That said, I have no interest in this film.
Old 02-24-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Propaganda or not.. I just want to see shit blowed up real good. I won't let some political agenda or bad review hinder that entertainment and will judge the film upon viewing it.

If there's a film that I don't want to see, I don't need make a point out of it. Just get off your soapbox.
Old 02-24-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
My goodness do I love The Hunt For Red October, but it damn sure never made me want to join the Navy.
I think the Village People's "In the Navy" made more people want to join the navy.

I was listening this morning to Don Imus on the radio interviewing the two guys who made ACT OF VALOR and they insisted the film was "entirely independent," that they raised the money themselves and with "private equity" partners. Not a word about the Navy contributing anything. Which I find very hard to believe.

Also, the conservative film reviewer at the New York Post, Kyle Smith, gave it a 2-star review:

NY Post review of ACT OF VALOR
Old 02-24-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I was listening this morning to Don Imus on the radio interviewing the two guys who made ACT OF VALOR and they insisted the film was "entirely independent," that they raised the money themselves and with "private equity" partners. Not a word about the Navy contributing anything. Which I find very hard to believe.
Why do you find that very hard to believe? They've explained themselves in the same way in every interview they've given. Do you think the directors are lying?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.