Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Old 02-24-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 468 Likes on 389 Posts
Re: Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
I'm what's popularly described in the US as "liberal", but I have no problems with Act of Valor. The people here are taking it far too seriously.
This. It's a movie. Go see it or don't.
Old 02-24-12, 07:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, chris, if you're so opposed to this film, you may want to quit posting in this thread.
Old 02-24-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this with two friends tonight. We all thought it was spectacular. The acting of one of the guys was a little subpar, but the rest were excellent, IMO.

I was a little shocked at how good it was actually; with all the negative reviews, I expected it to be terrible.

The theater was packed, and I'd say half the audience applauded during the credits as well. The dude across the aisle was literally sitting on the edge of his seat for most of the film; I've always heard that expression, but I don't think I've seen anybody do it.
Old 02-24-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
I saw this with two friends tonight. We all thought it was spectacular. The acting of one of the guys was a little subpar, but the rest were excellent, IMO.

I was a little shocked at how good it was actually; with all the negative reviews, I expected it to be terrible.

The theater was packed, and I'd say half the audience applauded during the credits as well. The dude across the aisle was literally sitting on the edge of his seat for most of the film; I've always heard that expression, but I don't think I've seen anybody do it.
No way! You take it back!

Old 02-24-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Is it because it's PG-13?
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
And probably under 2 hours...
Wait a minute...Is this the same Chris...? I didn't know that guy was back.
Old 02-24-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I heard that the movie was shot with a DSLR camera. That's amazing.
Old 02-24-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
I heard that the movie was shot with a DSLR camera. That's amazing.
Yeah, about 70-75% of the film was shot with Canon 5D Mark II, the rest was shot with traditional 35mm film cameras.
Old 02-25-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
This. It's a movie. Go see it or don't.

Which is what's already being said, but it seems that if you disagree with people then you're labeled a "spinless liberal with a vagina in between your ears."
Old 02-25-12, 01:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Which is what's already being said, but it seems that if you disagree with people then you're labeled a "spinless liberal with a vagina in between your ears."
Not sure who brought up the liberal angle. Living in TN for the last 2 decades, I know plenty of conservatives that have twats between their ears too.
Old 02-25-12, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Not sure who brought up the liberal angle. Living in TN for the last 2 decades, I know plenty of conservatives that have twats between their ears too.
Scroll up a few posts, you'll see the posts.
Old 02-25-12, 02:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Scroll up a few posts, you'll see the posts.
Gotcha. Thought you were saying my "vagina" posts were insinuating folks like that are liberals.
Old 02-25-12, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
Wait a minute...Is this the same Chris...? I didn't know that guy was back.
Yes. I think it is. I HEAVILY think it is. He's been careful in his wording but....attitudes and certain beliefs of film have heavily sided me to believe he is the Chris of DVDtalk legend. A Chris I will never forget.
Old 02-25-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank God this movie finally opened. Hopefully that means I don't have to hear that fuckin' Eminem song during the commercials. That said, I am interested in the battle scenes but will wait to rent it.
Old 02-25-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

You might also want to check out Hell and Back Again, a 2012 Oscar nominee for Best Feature Documentary that starts with footage from an embedded camera crew with an Army platoon in Afghanistan and then follows one man as he tries to adjust to life back home. It's available on Netflix Streaming now.

War is not a video game.
Old 02-25-12, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Civilians, you can't live with them and you can't shoot them.
Sure you can, plenty of current and vets have snapped and killed a bunch of people.
Old 02-25-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

So, my thoughts:

The acting was as atrocious as expected from the SEALs, but is that really worth criticizing? They are fucking SEALs, not actors. I thought the actors who portrayed the villains were pretty good though.
The action was awesome, loved the opening mission in the jungle. Head shots galore. I thought the "FPS view" was alittle cheesy.
I was surprised at the heartwarming ending. I genuinely felt compassion for the wife.

Better than I thought it would be, enjoyed it.
Old 02-26-12, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
The acting was as atrocious as expected from the SEALs, but is that really worth criticizing? They are fucking SEALs, not actors.
Yes, it really is worth criticizing. If someone is in a film, they need to help the film work. Actors who can't act either bring the film down with their lack of professionalism, or turn the proceedings into comedy. Either way, the suspension of disbelief is tempered, and the efforts of the rest of the cast and crew are tainted by the weakest links on screen. Same goes for any sports star, politician or nine-days-wonder who ever got stunt-cast in a film: if you can't act, stay out of frame.

Of course this is not a dismissal of Navy SEALs in general; I feel it's necessary to point that out before someone decides not to read what I actually typed. Our military is fan-fucking-tastic. But if they suck at acting, I'm not interested in watching them in a film.
Old 02-26-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I understand your point, but exceptions can be made and this was one of them. The quality of the acting didn't affect my enjoyment of the film. There is one reason and only one reason to see this movie, and that's to see the SEALs in action, and in that aspect the film succeeded.
Old 02-26-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
Yes, it really is worth criticizing. If someone is in a film, they need to help the film work. Actors who can't act either bring the film down with their lack of professionalism, or turn the proceedings into comedy. Either way, the suspension of disbelief is tempered, and the efforts of the rest of the cast and crew are tainted by the weakest links on screen. Same goes for any sports star, politician or nine-days-wonder who ever got stunt-cast in a film: if you can't act, stay out of frame.
Of course this is not a dismissal of Navy SEALs in general; I feel it's necessary to point that out before someone decides not to read what I actually typed. Our military is fan-fucking-tastic. But if they suck at acting, I'm not interested in watching them in a film.
You've just destroyed Hollywood.
Old 02-26-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I understand your point, but exceptions can be made and this was one of them. The quality of the acting didn't affect my enjoyment of the film. There is one reason and only one reason to see this movie, and that's to see the SEALs in action, and in that aspect the film succeeded.
This. I've seen far worse acting from "professional" actors, while I've never seen action of this caliber before.
Old 02-26-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely worth seeing. Yes the acting is questionable in some places with a bit of cheesy dialogue or lines delivered a little choppy, but look at United 93, sometimes you sacrifice certain aspects to get the realism you want.

When the mini-guns opened up on the bad guys I almost crapped myself. The action was the most immersive since Saving private Ryan. I did question the use of the first person view. Kept reminding me of DOOM. All-in-all a solid B
Old 02-26-12, 02:08 PM

Exactly.

Can't wait to see this on Tues.
Old 02-26-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I did question the use of the first person view. Kept reminding me of DOOM. All-in-all a solid B
The "Last Stand" perk definitely wasn't in Doom!
Old 02-26-12, 11:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
You might also want to check out Hell and Back Again, a 2012 Oscar nominee for Best Feature Documentary that starts with footage from an embedded camera crew with an Army platoon in Afghanistan and then follows one man as he tries to adjust to life back home. It's available on Netflix Streaming now.

War is not a video game.
the filming of the combat scene in Hell and back Again are impressive, however most of the movie is just tedious.
Old 03-01-12, 10:09 PM

Saw this tonight with my boy and we both loved it. Yes, the acting by the SEALs was bad on occasion, but nowhere near as atrocious as many are claiming. And I actually enjoyed the performances of the two lead villains and the CIA handler guy. (The showdown on the yacht was great.)

Plus, some of the best action sequences I've ever seen.

Surprisingly well filmed and surprisingly touching at the end.

First day purchase for me on Blu for sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.