Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sequels that take place immediately after the original? (Not filmed back to back)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sequels that take place immediately after the original? (Not filmed back to back)

Old 11-09-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sequels that take place immediately after the original? (Not filmed back to back

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
It was, but BTTF II fits this.

And I don't think Evil Dead 2 does fit. Doesnt the movie start with them going back to the cabin?
I think its more a case of the opening of Part 2 retconning the fact that Ash went to the cabin with his girlfriend and a group of friends to just Ash and his girlfriend.
Old 11-09-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 420 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: Sequels that take place immediately after the original? (Not filmed back to back

And I don't think Evil Dead 2 does fit. Doesnt the movie start with them going back to the cabin?
The movie starts with what is basically a 5 minute retelling of the first movie, but it is newly filmed and with a different actress playing Linda, and minus Cheryl, Scott, and Shelly. Then it picks up right where the first one left off.

My understanding is that this was done because the second film was released by a different studio, and they couldn't get the rights to just show clips from the first film at the beginning to bring new viewers up to date.
Old 11-09-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Thin Man ends with Nick and Nora on the train back to California; After the Thin Man starts with them arriving there. Probably the oldest example without dipping into serials.
Old 11-09-11, 12:27 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

All 4 Phantasm movies, which were made several years apart from each other across a 19 year period, so you get to see main hero age rapidly right after scenes from the previous movie, the main kid morph into another older actor and then back again, and another character seemingly grown into middle age, despite technically being "dead" since the first movie.
Old 11-09-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rocky 5
Old 11-09-11, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
I think its more a case of the opening of Part 2 retconning the fact that Ash went to the cabin with his girlfriend and a group of friends to just Ash and his girlfriend.
this...
Old 11-09-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

NANA 2 (2006), a Japanese romantic comedy-drama based on a popular manga, takes place right after NANA (2005). But because they rushed it into production while the lead actress from the first film, Aoi Miyazaki, was unavailable, they had to cast another, less effective actress in the role, pissing off a lot of fans.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-10-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 436 Likes on 310 Posts

LOTR doesn't count? I really don't remember.

And doesn't Halloween 6 take place immediately after 5?
Old 11-09-11, 02:48 PM
Banned

It's one whole story but...a little bit of time passes on between each one. Yeah...I wouldn't count it either way cuz it was all one huge ass production.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-09-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
Karate Kid part 2
Yes, but that opening scene was actually deleted footage from the first movie, so it's a bit of a cheat.
Old 11-09-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was, but BTTF II fits this.

ED2 begins with a truncated remake of the events of ED. AoD begins with a truncated remake/reshoot of the events of ED and ED2.
Old 11-09-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yes, but that opening scene was actually deleted footage from the first movie, so it's a bit of a cheat.
Apparently not:
http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2007/zabka/index.html
RC: Were you ever approached to be in any of the other Karate Kid sequels? Or was that never going to be a part of the storylines in any kind of way?

Billy Zabka: Well, the opening of The Karate Kid 2 is the original ending of the first one.

RC: Right

Billy Zabka: And when Kreese breaks my trophy in the parking lot, that's actually in the script of the first one. But we never filmed that because John Avildsen, the director, felt like he had his movie and he didn't want to shoot the scene. So the only thing I did was that opening scene of Part 2, which was the ending scene of Part 1. After that, they switched out everybody except Ralph and Pat.

RC: Now that's kind of an urban legend you just dispelled there because that opening of Karate Kid 2 was not leftover footage from the first movie, that was actually all new shot for Part 2?

Billy Zabka: Yeah, that was all re-shot for the sequel.
Old 11-09-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

I think Iron Man 2 technically counts. The end of the first one occurs simultaneously with the opening credits of the second.
Old 11-09-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Friday the 13th. 2,3,4
Old 11-09-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Hellraiser

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

This first sequel recaps the original movie with clips and then continues with events immediately afterwards.
Old 11-09-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
It's really not a retcon.

You have to think of it knowing the recap came later (the original plan was to use footage from the first film) and recognize that the things included in the recap are things that are relevant to the sequel proper.

Linda, the tape recorder and the Book of the Dead all figure into the sequel. The recap sums all that up, plus it shows them going to the cabin in the first place.

If the second film had Scotty, Cheryl and Shelly returning to torment Ash the recap would have included them. They don't appear in the sequel so they don't appear in the recap.

Raimi obviously overestimated the audience's ability to recognize the recap for what it is because 25 years later people are still confused by it. But it's not intended to retroactively nullify the events of the first film. If you were to edit the two films together at the right moment after removing the recap it would be a perfect continuation.

"Army of Darkness", on the other hand, does blatantly contradict the ending of the previous film. I guess Raimi figured that if you have to disregard the beginning of EDII to make sense of the continuity they might as well disregard the ending too. AoD hits all the beats of the EDII ending but spread out across a whole movie. You could almost call it a precap.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 11-09-11 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
LOTR doesn't count? I really don't remember.

And doesn't Halloween 6 take place immediately after 5?
Lord of the Rings doesn't count according to the OP's guidelines since all 3 were filmed back to back to back.

And regarding Halloween 6...the answer is No. Halloween 5 ended on a cliffhanger and Part 6 jumped forward a few years (plus it was produced by a different studio). Laurie Strode's daughter, who was a kid in 4 and 5, was in Part 6 as an adult.
Old 11-10-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
Raimi obviously overestimated the audience's ability to recognize the recap for what it is because 25 years later people are still confused by it. But it's not intended to retroactively nullify the events of the first film. If you were to edit the two films together at the right moment after removing the recap it would be a perfect continuation.
It's not too perfect. At one point in the second movie Ash drives out to find the bridge and is surprised to see it destroyed. I'm pretty sure he did that in the first movie, too.
Old 11-10-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 511 Posts

Did Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey happen immediately after the events in first movie? (As much as a time-travel story can have a before and after.)
Old 11-10-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/\ No, they establish that time has passed. For instance, in the sequel it is now Ted's father who is married to Missy, not Bill's.
Old 11-10-11, 08:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Halloween V
This one takes place a year after 4.
Old 11-10-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 865 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Return of the jedi, kind of
Six months inbetween ESB and ROTJ. Even before all the novels and comics came out, back in the day it was pretty well known there was a little bit of time between the two.
Old 11-10-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
This one takes place a year after 4.
It picks up right at the end of 4, though.
Old 11-13-11, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Beyond The Poseidon Adventure

How many houses does Michael Caine have?
Old 11-13-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Austin Powers:  The Spy Who Shagged Me

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.