DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Safe House (2012, Espinosa) - Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/596129-safe-house-2012-espinosa-denzel-washington-ryan-reynolds.html)

jfoobar 11-05-11 03:36 PM

Safe House (2012, Espinosa) - Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1599348/
http://www.slashfilm.com/safe-house-...-cia-thriller/

Oscar winner Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds star in the action-thriller Safe House. Washington plays the most dangerous renegade from the CIA, who comes back onto the grid after a decade on the run. When the South African safe house he’s remanded to is attacked by mercenaries, a rookie operative (Reynolds) escapes with him. Now, the unlikely allies must stay alive long enough to uncover who wants them dead.

For the past year, Matt Weston has been frustrated by his inactive, backwater post in Cape Town. A “housekeeper” who aspires to be a full-fledged agent, the loyal company man has been waiting for an opportunity to prove himself. When the first and only occupant he’s had proves to be the most dangerous man he’s ever met, Weston readies for duty.

Tobin Frost has eluded capture for almost a decade. One of the best ops men that the CIA’s known, the ex-intelligence officer has given up assets and sold military intel to anyone with cash since he turned. From trading secrets to North Korea to aiding splinter cells, the damage he’s done to the U.S. is immeasurable. And he’s now back on the reservation with a secret.

As soon as Frost is brought in for debriefing, mercenaries come and tear apart Weston’s safehouse. Barely escaping, the unlikely partners must discover if their attackers have been sent by terrorists or someone on the inside who will kill anyone standing in the way. Now it’s up to Weston to figure out who he can trust before they’re both eliminated from the game.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bItkdkkD2z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seems unnecessary and formulaic (gee, another "rogue but brilliant former CIA operative" movie?), but the trailer isn't too bad and the presence of Vera Farmiga, Brendan Gleeson and Sam Shepard in the cast does raise my interest level a little bit.

Neither the director nor the writer has particularly interesting credits.

Solid Snake 11-05-11 04:01 PM

Re: Safe House (2012, Espinosa) - Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds

yeah.....cast looks interesting despite generic plot. I'll be hopeful...

Artman 11-05-11 07:39 PM

Hmm, a little more Tony Scott style than I was expecting. Kinda wish it wasn't so stylized (neon colors everywhere) but I'll of course check it out.

Sonic 11-06-11 01:28 AM

Love Denzel movies I will watch this :thumbsup:

Osiris3657 01-22-12 06:57 PM

Eh, I'm skeptical...

Pizza the Hutt 01-22-12 07:25 PM

Looks like yet another Denzel/Tony Scott POS. Pass.

crazychris88 01-22-12 07:33 PM

I think it looks good. Looks a lot better than Deja Vu, Unstoppable and Taking of Pelham 123 thats for shit sure.

Groucho 01-22-12 08:28 PM

"Now you're going to have to deal with both of us!"

PopcornTreeCt 01-22-12 08:54 PM

This looks terrible.

DJariya 01-22-12 09:39 PM

Love Denzel. Surprised that he had 0 movies last year. I will probably check this out.

JumpCutz 01-22-12 10:06 PM

Looks beyond dreadful. Surprised people aren't tired of this kind of cliched claptrap yet. Denzel is just cashing another paycheck.

DJariya 01-22-12 10:12 PM

Denzel is 57 years old now and I have no problems with him doing action flicks. It's pretty amazing that he has the physicality to still do these films and is still marketable as an A list star.

I'm not expecting him to do some deep drama or period drama. Hell, if he wants to do another Great Debaters or Antwone Fisher for those of you sick of him doing action flicks, then great.

kstublen 01-22-12 10:47 PM

You had me at Denzel.

PopcornTreeCt 01-22-12 11:54 PM

I don't think anyone has a problem with Denzel doing action flicks, they have a problem with him doing crappy ones like Deja vu/Unstoppable/Out of Time.

lisadoris 01-23-12 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 11086363)
You had me at Denzel.

Yep.

mdc3000 01-26-12 08:06 AM

I'm looking forward to this one - it looks like typical Denzel/Scott fare (even though it is a different director, he is clearly emulating Tony Scott) and I like Ryan Reynolds (despite him being in some shitty movies recently). I like the concept, I like the actors and it looks like it will be entertaining as hell, even if it doesn't have a brain/original thought in it's head. It certainly doesn't hurt that they're using a track from Watch The Throne in all the marketing ;) I'll be there on opening night.

RocShemp 01-26-12 08:16 AM

The TV spots I've seen make it look like a Denzel Washington versus Ryan Reynolds movie rather than a team-up. :hscratch:

madcougar 01-26-12 09:28 AM

I'm in. Love Washintong. Love Reynolds. Like a Reeses peanut butter cup!

EdTheRipper 01-26-12 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11091261)
The TV spots I've seen make it look like a Denzel Washington versus Ryan Reynolds movie rather than a team-up. :hscratch:

That was the impression I was under too. I'm definitely interested in checking this one out.

DeanoBKN 01-26-12 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt (Post 11085945)
Looks like yet another Denzel/Tony Scott POS. Pass.

I was very surprised when I found out Scott wasn't directing.

This looks like one of those movies you'll watch, be entertained for 2 hours, then forgot all about it in a month.

My Other Self 01-26-12 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11091261)

You mean it's not? The ads are very misleading then. :lol:

Patman 02-12-12 01:25 PM

One of the CIA's brightest spies, Tobin Frost (played Denzel Washington), who went rogue and disappeared for almost a decade suddenly shows up at the American Consulate in South Africa, is taken to a CIA safe house in South Africa for holding and questioning. The safe house's lone CIA operative, Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds) is bored out of his mind, bucking for a more active assignment when this falls into his lap. Men looking for Frost find the safe house, and attempt a take-down. Frost and Weston are on the run, with Weston having to become very resourceful in maintaining Frost's captivity and staying alive.

Overall, a pretty intense bit of cat-n-mouse, both in the physical sense (car chases, foot chases, gun-fire, etc.), and with mental games, as Frost is a psychological chess master, and Weston is somewhat young and green for such impromptu active duty. The CIA needs Weston to keep it together, as extraction teams are half-days away, an eternity for an inexperienced agent.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

EdTheRipper 02-16-12 01:06 PM

Just got back from seeing this. It was pretty good. Not the most original story ever, but the action was solid and the cast was good enough to keep things interesting.

DJariya 03-09-12 10:51 PM

Saw this tonight.

Very entertaining action flick. Was not bored for even 1 minute. Was very impressed with Daniel Espinosa's U.S. directorial. I think he did a great job shooting the movie, especially the action sequences.

Reynolds and Denzel surprisingly had very good chemistry. Denzel does look really old and I think his character was quite vulnerable even though he is supposedly a badass rogue operative.

I was a little disappointed that Robert Patrick's role in this movie was really short.

I think the Producers of the 24 movie should strongly take this guy into consideration to direct if they want a fresh new visual take on the franchise.

devilshalo 03-14-12 11:26 AM

Caught this last night and I liked it even if you saw what was coming. Good action along the lines of a Bourne film, but you can sense who was behind it a mile away.

I did like that Weston was still highly regarded and protected by the "agency mole" even with the outcome.