Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Todd Phillips' found footage teen sex comedy: Project X (Nourizadeh, 2012)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Todd Phillips' found footage teen sex comedy: Project X (Nourizadeh, 2012)

Old 03-02-12, 12:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Todd Phillips' found footage teen sex comedy: Project X (Nourizadeh, 2012)

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
You saw Footloose?
the remake? no.
Old 03-02-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Two of the local film critics were split on the movie. One really liked it, the other said it got old real fast.
Old 03-02-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got dragged to a screening... pure santorum.

But as a 42-year-old man, I'm probably not in their demo anyway.
Old 03-03-12, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this last Wednesday for a free preview screening. It was a 7pm showing so I got there at 5pm to see if there was a line. There were already 30 people in line, so I got in line to wait for a friend that was also coming. At 6:30 they started letting people into the theater and by then, the line ran outside around the building. It look like there was a handful of seats left in theater, so everyone must have got in. What surprised me was the demographic of the people waiting in line for this movie. The age range was teen to 70+ year olds. People who looked well off, people who looked like they had been living on the streets for a while. A disproportionate amount of Asians, especially older Asians. Probably 60/40 male to female. The only hypothesis I have for such an unusual demographic, if it's free, people will come.

As far as the movie was concerned, my buddy and I laughed our ass off. Unfortunately the crowd would laugh so loud sometimes, you missed what the next lines said were. Loads of hilarious scenes, thankfully not shown in the trailer. There was a 60+ year old lady sitting in front of us that I am wondering, did she think she was going to a free showing of "Sense and Sensibilities"? She was laughing through most of the movie too. Also didn't even flinch during the abundance of nude scenes in the movie. As Jimmy Kimmel says "There is more teen boob in this movie that at an R. Kelly party".

If this kind of humor isn't you cup of tea, ask you mom to make you a sandwich and re-watch "The King's Speech" for a good time.
Old 03-03-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank1215
If this kind of humor isn't you cup of tea, ask you mom to make you a sandwich and re-watch "The King's Speech" for a good time.
I can see why you liked this movie.
Old 03-03-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The King's Speech really needed more teen boobs.
Old 03-03-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I saw this last night and thought it was pretty hysterical. The crowd loved it too, but it also helped that I saw it a 21+older screening where they serve alcohol.
Old 03-03-12, 06:42 PM
Suspended

Everything needs more teen boobs.
Old 03-03-12, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I can see why you liked this movie.
What, your mom told you to make your own sandwich?
Old 03-03-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What, your mom told you to make your own sandwich?
I don't understand your rationale. To you, if you don't find this movie funny you should watch a critically acclaimed drama. Are you saying then that this is the definitive comedy in which all others should follow? Because from what I'm understanding if we don't find this movie funny then we don't know what funny is.
Old 03-04-12, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

To each his own. I found The King's Speech to be f**king hilarious....saying the name of a breafast cereal instead of goodbye...I laughed my ass off!!!!
Old 03-04-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie was awesome and a ton of fun. Granted I fit the demographic of who they were trying to target.
Old 03-04-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Speaking of found footage movies, I really liked Man Bites Dog. I almost wish that movie would be chosen for an American remake. I think it had a great premise that could easily be expanded on.
Man Bites Dog was a documentary-in-the-making. Definitely not a found footage movie.
Old 03-04-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm an old fuck now. I stay the fuck away from these teen comedies and watch 'em at home. Don't need the movie going experience ruined by a bunch of entitled teens talking, yelling, and/or texting. I'll wait till HBO.
Old 03-04-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Man Bites Dog was a documentary-in-the-making. Definitely not a found footage movie.
Yeah but

Spoiler:

If I remember right, don't they all get killed at the end? So technically the footage is found.
Old 03-04-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wait, did someone say titties?
Old 03-05-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm probably going to take heat for this, but in my mind, Project X is a superior party movie to Animal House. I saw Animal House for the first time last year and had fun watching. In comparison to Project X though, it didn't get me as pumped up to want to be in that place/time or have near the amount of "Oh My God" moments.

Perhaps if I saw Animal House when it first came out 30+ years ago it would have affected me differently given the context of cinema and society at that time. But when I'm watching it in today's age, it's a good movie to me, but nothing really all that special. This more or less summarizes how I feel about a lot of older, yet highly regarded movies I never caught growing up, but am seeing today now that I'm more interested in film.
Old 03-05-12, 05:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by gp1086
I'm probably going to take heat for this, but in my mind, Project X is a superior party movie to Animal House. I saw Animal House for the first time last year and had fun watching. In comparison to Project X though, it didn't get me as pumped up to want to be in that place/time or have near the amount of "Oh My God" moments.

Perhaps if I saw Animal House when it first came out 30+ years ago it would have affected me differently given the context of cinema and society at that time. But when I'm watching it in today's age, it's a good movie to me, but nothing really all that special. This more or less summarizes how I feel about a lot of older, yet highly regarded movies I never caught growing up, but am seeing today now that I'm more interested in film.

All jokes aside, I respect your opinion (was well worded) but I can't see eye-to-eye on that.
Old 03-05-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah but

Spoiler:

If I remember right, don't they all get killed at the end? So technically the footage is found.
Right. That's what I was thinking. It's been awhile since I've seen it.
Old 03-05-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved it, the security guards were my favorite.
Old 03-08-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am 37 and went with a date and my buddy 31 and his wife and we laughted our asses off. I'm going crazy trying to fins the Soundtrack I only see it on itunes. But I want the CD. Anyone come accross it?
Old 03-10-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The plot is fairly straight forward: for the 17th birthday for teen Thomas, his father and mother go away for a long weekend to celebrate their own wedding anniversary, leaving Thomas without parental supervision and hanging out with Costa and JB, two of his friends who rank pretty low on the social order in high school. Costa has visions of throwing a party at Thomas's house, getting a ton of people to show up, and moving the 3 of them up on the social ladder at school. Well, the party gets out of hand, plenty of hilarity and hijinks ensue.

Overall, it was fairly fun to watch this downward spiral of teenage irresponsibility comes to its conclusion, amidst all of its debaucherous moments, of which there are plenty of them to witness and enjoy.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 03-15-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Houston Teen Killed at 'Project X' Inspired Party
http://abcnews.go.com/US/project-mov...ry?id=15922034
Old 03-15-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granted I had a few drinks last night before entering the theater, but I really enjoyed the hell out of Project X.

It reminded me of The Boys and Girls Guide To Getting Down in the aspect that it's portrays bad behavior in a fairly positive light. The film has no moral compass it needs to abide by. In fact, the film is a 90-minute examination into one's descent into chaos and madness. To quote Ron Burgundy, "That escalated quickly."

The film loses all of its steam in the final ten minutes when the film plays to cliches, but everything leading up to that point is a blast. It may not be the funniest film released this year, but it's a lot of fun.
Old 03-21-12, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to this on Thursday. Didn't want to go to it, didn't really have anything of interest to me, and I didn't pay for the ticket either..so yay me. Merely the interestingness of a found footage party movie...and however that worked. I merely lasted 15 mins into it or however long it took to get to the point where I left was when the party was getting started. I found it cliche as fuck and not funny aside from some chuckles. It just..didn't have impact. I left my female friend and her ugly as fuck female friend there.

After that I got a ticket to John Carter. Fucking loved John Carter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.