Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

THE INNKEEPERS (2011) (dir. Ti West) (Sara Paxton, Pat Healy, Kelly McGillis)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

THE INNKEEPERS (2011) (dir. Ti West) (Sara Paxton, Pat Healy, Kelly McGillis)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: THE INNKEEPERS (2011) (dir. Ti West) (Sara Paxton, Pat Healy, Kelly McGillis)

I liked it, though these types of films usually scare the crap out of me

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
you still didn't answer my question...what exactly was your problem with the ending?
I'm wondering if Dr. Mabuse didn't like..

Spoiler:
That the film does a great job for 3/4ths of the film setting up an eerie, slow-burn sort of feeling and in the final act goes for a lot of the cheap scares that are accustom to many films of this genre. Depending on who you ask the final act could be labeled as the 'pay-off' but it definitely is starkly different than the rest of the film and sort of mirrors the trailer a little bit more than the other acts.

Just guessing
Old 01-09-12, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: THE INNKEEPERS (2011) (dir. Ti West) (Sara Paxton, Pat Healy, Kelly McGillis)

The film was worth watching for Sara Paxton. She was really good and like the dude up there points out, totally adorable. I get people thinking the end was a cop out but I dug it.
Old 01-09-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone in that Sara Paxton was great, but that's pretty much it. I'm a big fan of slow burn horror and I definitely don't need to be spoon-fed every plot point out there, but at the end of this film I felt like I just put together a big puzzle and, like, 25 percent of the pieces were missing.
Old 02-03-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Saw this last night on XBOX live and was very disappointed. My wife said she read it had like 76% on RT so we were really excited to see this. I'm just glad I didn't pay full price at a theater. Ok, whatever.... Anyway, it felt like a Movie of the Week written and directed by a first time film student. I like slow paced films IF it goes somewhere and this film didn't do that. I fell asleep a couple time forcing me to rewind to see what happened in certain scenes. I think my wife slept through most of it. Also, by the 2nd cheap scare I was done because things just got insulting at that point.

this film.
Old 02-03-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Saw this last night on XBOX live and was very disappointed. My wife said she read it had like 76% on RT so we were really excited to see this. I'm just glad I didn't pay full price at a theater. Ok, whatever.... Anyway, it felt like a Movie of the Week written and directed by a first time film student. I like slow paced films IF it goes somewhere and this film didn't do that. I fell asleep a couple time forcing me to rewind to see what happened in certain scenes. I think my wife slept through most of it. Also, by the 2nd cheap scare I was done because things just got insulting at that point.

this film.
That's Ti West for you. He get's somethings right but mostly he's shit.
Old 02-03-12, 05:05 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

For those of you interested and living in the Denver area, you will get a free ticket to see THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, with the purchase of a ticket to the see THE INNKEEPERS. If this snowpocalyse ever stops I plan on catching the double feature tomorrow!
Old 03-03-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched this last night and reviewed it on my blog. Link is in the sig if anyone is interested.
Old 04-17-12, 08:22 AM

I like slow burners and competently made horror films too, but House of the Devil was literally an hour of absolutely nothing happening , then some run of the mill horror things, before everything kinda got thrown out the window for the end. But yea, he sure got the look down.

I read this now since I just finsihed watching The Innkeepers, which I felt more prepared for after looking forward to HotD and being disappointed. But I had a lot of the same problems with Innkeepers. The movie feels well made, but there is ZERO tension. The movie kind of moseys along until it just ends. Paxton did a good job (not just cause she is super cute) but man, the characters were made to look like complete idiots, especially in the last act. All the love seems super unwarranted to me.

Forgot to add that the hotel had no atmosphere either. There was nothing creepy or scary about it. Would have been more terrifying if the film was set in a carpet store. Ti West has this completely undeserved following it seems, but others are seeing something else, as the Rotten Tomatoes indicates. Glad to see most of the posts in here fall in with my view I guess.

**/****

And seems like Paxton likes doing horror, with thise, Shark Night (another movie where she was one of the good parts...and in a bikini) and Last House on the Left.
Old 04-29-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
BTW, I like the theatrical poster as well (I think it's actually better than Mondo's recent rendition).
It's been a good 8 years since I bought a one-sheet, but I need to have that one on my wall. Been eying it for a while, but wanted to see the film first.

Not the best movie I've seen this year, but I definitely appreciate the effort. I think I fell a little bit in love with Sara Paxton from this movie. It was also funny to hear her quoting lines from The Dark Crystal during the commentary track.
Old 05-08-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it worth a blind buy at $13?
Old 05-08-12, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that w/o tax or w/ tax?

And, aside from the inclusion of the film itself, it's got 2 commentaries, a trailer, and very short BTS. ehhhhhhh maybe. I'd personally hold off till $9.99.
Old 05-08-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I blind bought at $13.99 and was pretty disappointed. Didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as House of the Devil. I'd recommend a rental first.
Old 05-08-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I liked it a lot. Maybe not quite as much as The House of the Devil, but I still thought it was really well done. Liked Sara Paxton a lot in it.
Old 05-25-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I watched The Innkeepers last night and really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would. The pacing was slow but suspenseful and although I love horror movies Innkeepers succeeded in scaring me. There were some eccentric plot/direction elements that lended some depth to the film
Spoiler:
like the film ending in the same room the mystic was staring out of the window of
. Highly recommened.
Old 05-25-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

< Still hates this movie.
Old 09-23-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Just finished watching this. As others have noted, Sara Paxton is unbelievably adorable. But the movie itself was just okay. The slow burn was fine, but I expected more to happen at the end. Anyway, I liked The House of the Devil much, much better.
Old 09-23-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Surprised I never commented on this one. I liked it a lot. Yeah it starts off goofy but I think that was intentional by west.

The ending is another great payoff.

It was a slow burn but effective and I dug it but I'm also a big Ti West fan (He's in love with the old school horror flicks.....basically the same films I grew up watching. I remember going to the video stores and seeing those big bulky cases that held a horror film that nobody heard of and I had to just rent it cause it looked so creepy).

I guess my only concern is that Eli Roth is giving him his first mainstream break and basically said "This will be Ti West's first big mainstream horror fim" So....why am I supposed to be excited about that?
Old 09-23-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rival11
The ending is another great payoff.
Regarding the end:

Spoiler:
I thought the door slamming was just one last jump scare. It wasn't until I checked out the IMDB boards that I found out there was something more to it. I totally didn't see Claire's ghost when I first watched the ending. I just went back to that scene and still didn't see it until it was pointed out in the Paxton/West commentary exactly when she appears. Fast forwarding through it helped.

I think West went a little bit *too* subtle there. But then again, I could never see the objects in those damn Magic Eye pictures.

Anyone see it on the first go round?
Old 09-23-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved this movie, just like I loved House of the Devil. I'm definitely on board with Ti West at this point, I'll see anything he does.

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Regarding the end:

Spoiler:
I thought the door slamming was just one last jump scare. It wasn't until I checked out the IMDB boards that I found out there was something more to it. I totally didn't see Claire's ghost when I first watched the ending. I just went back to that scene and still didn't see it until it was pointed out in the Paxton/West commentary exactly when she appears. Fast forwarding through it helped.

I think West went a little bit *too* subtle there. But then again, I could never see the objects in those damn Magic Eye pictures.

Anyone see it on the first go round?
I watched the scene a few times, and still haven't seen it. I'll try checking out again after reading your post, because strangely you're the only person I've seen actually confirm it's there.
Old 09-23-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I would've never known that part even existed if I hadn't seen a thread about it on IMDB. This pic was linked to in that thread:

Spoiler:

She's just one half shade up from invisible. Like I said earlier, West went too subtle, IMO. The average person isn't going to watch the scene multiple times, check out other sites about it, etc. They'll just think the movie ends on a cheap jump scare and move on.

As I mentioned, watch the scene with the Paxton commentary. They tell you the exact moment she appears. And forwarding through it helped me. It sped up the apparition and made it more noticeable.

Here's that IMDB thread, btw: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1594562/...nest/198125314
Old 09-23-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The comic flourishes killed it for me. I was expecting a straight up horror tale, considering they had the locations/set-up for it, but I stopped caring for it early on. It was dull, as well.

I think The House of the Devil is Ti West's best film.
Old 09-23-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Well, I would've never known that part even existed if I hadn't seen a thread about it on IMDB. This pic was linked to in that thread:

Spoiler:

She's just one half shade up from invisible. Like I said earlier, West went too subtle, IMO. The average person isn't going to watch the scene multiple times, check out other sites about it, etc. They'll just think the movie ends on a cheap jump scare and move on.

As I mentioned, watch the scene with the Paxton commentary. They tell you the exact moment she appears. And forwarding through it helped me. It sped up the apparition and made it more noticeable.

Here's that IMDB thread, btw: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1594562/...nest/198125314
I did not know about that and I for one think it's really cool as it MIGHT make you want to go back and check it out.

But with that said.....
Spoiler:
where is she suppose to be in that pic...I can't see shit
Old 09-23-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I think I found it...
Spoiler:
she standing by the curtain more towards the heater...she is looking out the window.....damn, that is just tad too subtle...but I dig it.
Old 09-23-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought that was the ending payoff you posted about earlier.

Spoiler:
Old 09-23-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ha no...I was talking about when
Spoiler:
the shit hits the fan with the gore goods and craziness....I really thought it was great and definitely caught me by surprise as I was just really digging the hotel and some of the performances and of course, some of the creepy atmosphere scares....I was NOT expecting things to go down the way they did when kicked in full force

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.