Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dumb And Dumber To (2014, Farrelly Brothers) S: Carrey, Daniels

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-28-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from EW

Just when you thought those folks in Hollywood couldn’t get any dumber, they go and do something like this … and totally redeem themselves! Yes, dumb-comedy fans, EW has confirmed that Peter and Bobby Farrelly are planning to direct a sequel to their classic, brilliantly stupid 1994 comedy Dumb & Dumber. (Deadline first reported the news.) Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels would reprise their roles as Harry and Lloyd, a couple of friends with a couple of dozen brain cells between them. (Really, how dumb would it be to try to cast anyone else?)
Sean Anders and John Morris, who wrote Carrey’s recent family film Mr. Popper’s Penguins and last year’s Hot Tub Time Machine, are writing the script, and the Farrellys are planning to start work on the film after they finish their current feature, The Three Stooges. A Dumb & Dumber prequel, Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd, was released in 2003, but neither the Farrellys nor Carrey and Daniels had any involvement in it.

Last edited by dex14; 09-20-13 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: a true Dumb and Dumber sequel in the works w Farrelly's, Carrey & Daniels on boar

After the Cardinals win I didn't think tonight could get any better and then you spring this on me. Awesome news!
Old 10-28-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: a true Dumb and Dumber sequel in the works w Farrelly's, Carrey & Daniels on boar

Dumb and Dumber: When Harry Met Lloyd is the first and only film I've ever walked out of. I grew up that day.
Old 10-28-11, 08:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

With Daniels, Carrey AND the Farrelly brothers on board, they could actually make an entertaining movie out of this. Maybe.
Old 10-28-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

there's no way they can capture the magic of the original, don't see this being good.
Old 10-28-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Dont do it! Comedy sequels always suck. I honestly can't think of any Comedy Sequel that topped the original???
Old 10-28-11, 12:10 PM

Wasn't really wild about the original but it certainly was a big hit. Maybe everyone's career has bottomed out a bit and they're all understandably looking for some box office magic to save them.
Old 10-28-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original is so incredibly overrated. I have no interest in the sequel. It $ure makes $en$e for them to make it though knowing how popular the first one was.
Old 10-28-11, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we can get a Kingpin sequel next. That is if Randy Quaid ever comes out of exile.
Old 10-28-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The original is so incredibly overrated. I have no interest in the sequel. It $ure makes $en$e for them to make it though knowing how popular the first one was.
"What's the soup du jour?"
"It's the soup of the day."
"Mm...that sounds good. I'll have that."

God I love that movie. Though the potential is there, I doubt it will come close to the original.
Old 10-28-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
there's no way they can capture the magic of the original, don't see this being good.
So you're telling me there's a chance...
Old 10-28-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I didn't realize Anders and Morris wrote Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Still, I liked Sex Drive a great deal and I can get behind a Carrey movie sequel that actually has Jim Carrey in it. I just hope the Farrellys keep it simple...the original barely has any of the gross-out humor they eventually decided was their calling card -- the laxative scene being the only real example -- and the sequel really ought to maintain that.
Old 10-28-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I didn't realize Anders and Morris wrote Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Still, I liked Sex Drive a great deal and I can get behind a Carrey movie sequel that actually has Jim Carrey in it. I just hope the Farrellys keep it simple...the original barely has any of the gross-out humor they eventually decided was their calling card -- the laxative scene being the only real example -- and the sequel really ought to maintain that.
The camel piss sequence and the "just go" motorcycle diaries bits were a bit disgusting.
Old 10-28-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Meh, sure, make it. None of them have hot careers anymore anyway.
Old 10-28-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Complete waste of time and it will suck, or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Old 10-28-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Fredda Feltcher will be in the sequel
Old 10-28-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Let's get a bowl of loud mouth soup for this!
Old 10-28-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

About 15 years too late, but I'd be interested enough to rent it.
Old 10-28-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 10-28-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm optimistic.
Old 10-29-11, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great that they're getting the original team back together but it all comes down to the script. For this film to be worth a damn the screenwriters need to make a conscious effort to avoid repeating anything from the first film. We want more of Harry and Lloyd but we want to see them in a new story with new characters and new jokes.
Old 10-29-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
For this film to be worth a damn the screenwriters need to make a conscious effort to avoid repeating anything from the first film..
But that never happens in sequels, as every joke is recycled just in another situation. You think Jim Carrey would learn his lesson from Ace Ventura:When Nature Calls, that was absolutely terrible, and recycled many jokes from the original.
Old 10-29-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This should be called Forever Dumb.
Old 10-29-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the first. I'm game.
Old 10-29-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Dont do it! Comedy sequels always suck. I honestly can't think of any Comedy Sequel that topped the original???
The "vacation" sequels were pretty good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.