Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dumb And Dumber To (2014, Farrelly Brothers) S: Carrey, Daniels

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dumb And Dumber To (2014, Farrelly Brothers) S: Carrey, Daniels

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dumb And Dumber To (2014, Farrelly Brothers) S: Carrey, Daniels

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I mean...it can't be any worse then Dumb & Dumberer right?
Movie 43 makes Dumb & Dumberer look like Citizen Kane.
Old 06-13-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer

Have you seen his interviews from the previous 2 decades?
I agree with you that he has always done outrageous things when being interviewed, but he used to be funny in those interviews in the 90's. I remember on Jay Leno in 1994, he was talking about all of his ex-girlfriends and did an Ace Ventura 'LOOOSSSSERRR' schtick which was hilarious!

To be honest, Jim Carrey hasn't been funny for 15 years, as I thought his last real funny/edgy role was The Cable Guy. Now films like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty are entertaining comedies, but The Cable Guy is Jim Carrey at his best cause it is a very dark humor. I always thought he was never the same after The Cable Guy because he took so much crap from the critics/fans cause he played an unlikeable bad guy in that movie, and the movie wasn't a box office hit. I love the movie, but most of my friends to this day still hate it.
Old 06-13-14, 12:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the camp that liked the trailer. It captures the right 'feel' of the original, which is impressive because usually sequels made long after the last one just don't look or feel like the older ones.
Old 06-13-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I agree with you that he has always done outrageous things when being interviewed, but he used to be funny in those interviews in the 90's. I remember on Jay Leno in 1994, he was talking about all of his ex-girlfriends and did an Ace Ventura 'LOOOSSSSERRR' schtick which was hilarious!

To be honest, Jim Carrey hasn't been funny for 15 years, as I thought his last real funny/edgy role was The Cable Guy. Now films like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty are entertaining comedies, but The Cable Guy is Jim Carrey at his best cause it is a very dark humor. I always thought he was never the same after The Cable Guy because he took so much crap from the critics/fans cause he played an unlikeable bad guy in that movie, and the movie wasn't a box office hit. I love the movie, but most of my friends to this day still hate it.
Have you seen the dark comedy I Love You Phillip Morris? That along with The Cable Guy are my favorite Carrey films.
Old 06-13-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet nothing in this movie will be as funny as the "shit" scene from Dumb and Dumberer.
Old 06-13-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't even crack a smile from that trailer. Looks terrible...
Old 06-14-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Yup. I loved the original. That trailer made me sad.
Old 06-14-14, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

C'mon Decker! You gotta get over it! That trailer was just a trailer!
Old 06-14-14, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb and Dumberer is the only movie I have ever walked out of and the weird thing is that Jim Carrey looks to be playing Erik Christian Olsen playing Jim Carrey.
Old 06-15-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They played the trailer before 22 Jump Street today and the audience ate it up with a spoon. I'm sure this will have a huge opening and make a profit before falling like a stone.
Old 06-15-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sorry. I really liked that trailer. Maybe my sense of humor is getting out of whack as I get older.
Old 06-15-14, 01:53 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

A lot of kids that weren't even born when the original came out have loved it on video.

This is going to be some big time box office.
Old 06-22-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

The Dumb and Dumber To trailer blew the doors off the competition in its first week. The debut coming attraction for the Jim Carrey-Jeff Daniels sequel scored 23.5 million views on YouTube, according to technology company Zefr, which tracks the results.

How easily did Dumb and Dumber To, which opens in theaters Nov. 14, win the week? The next nine trailers recorded a combined 15 million views.
The first trailer for the sequel to the 1994 hit that grossed $247 million worldwide delivers everything that fans of the original presumably want. In just two minutes and 30 seconds, there is a catheter joke, a butt joke, an old-people sex joke and one very funny blink-and-you'll-miss-it sight gag involving a vending machine. The plot — a lost daughter, a crush and two friends on a road trip — feels secondary to the jokes, the lower-brow the better.

Eight of the nine trailers in the top 10 were making their debut this week. In the No. 2 spot was The Interview with 3.4 million views. The trailer for the Seth Rogen-James Franco vehicle disappoints. The plot is clear enough — two goofy friends (a talk-show host and his producer) — play spy on a mission to North Korea to kill leader Kim Jong-un. But the jokes fall flat. Aside from one funny (but tired) instance of bathroom humor, the preview offers few laugh-out-loud lines. The trailer makes it seem like the spy movie version of the pair's 2013 spoof of disaster movies, This Is the End — but less funny. The movie, which also stars Lizzy Caplan and Ray Park (as Kim), opens Oct. 10.
The teaser trailer for Birdman followed at No. 3 with 2 million views. This trailer is mysterious. It is heavy on atmospherics and interesting cinematography but light on plot. What can be gleaned from it is that Michael Keaton (riffing on his own Batman past) plays an aging actor trying to move beyond his most famous role, the superhero Birdman. "How did we end up here, in this dump," Keaton says in a voiceover. "You were a movie star, remember?"

Parts of the trailer for the film, directed by Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu with cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki (known as Chivo), suggest a fantasy and other parts suggest a straight drama. The teaser teases well (what it's supposed to do), suggesting lots of potential but not offering enough to render a full judgment. The movie, which also stars Ed Norton, Emma Stone and Zach Galifianakis, arrives in theaters Oct. 17.

The third preview for Sin City landed at No. 5 with 1.6 million views.
Two Boxtrolls trailers — the international and the domestic — held the No. 6 and No. 7 spots with 1.65 and 1.63 million views, respectively. This stop-motion/CGI hybrid about a bunch of underground trash-collecting creatures and the young boy they adopt looks super fun and likely will appeal to its target children's demo. The trailer displays great animation, heartfelt emotion (between the boy and the young girl who finds him and introduces him to the surface world) and an infectious rock 'n' roll soundtrack. The movie, which is based on the novel Here Be Monsters! and stars the voices of Ben Kingsley, Elle Fanning, Toni Collette and Jared Harris, opens Sept. 26.

Rounding out the top 10 are No Good Deed at No. 8, The Penguins of Madagascar at No. 9 and Dolphin Tale 2 at No. 10.
The only holdover trailer was The Giver at No. 4, rising from No. 16 last week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...crushes-712937

It should do just fine.
Old 06-22-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have friends who are avid Carrey fans who HAVE been waiting years for this. I'm sure they'll be first in line.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-24-14 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-26-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5mZQJ7TuvZs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

You guys suck. I think this looks really good.
Old 09-26-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The phone conversation made me laugh.
Old 09-26-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I...I don't know about this one. I'll go ahead and stay cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-26-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I just watched the original last night. If someone proclaimed it the best comedy of the 90's, I don't know how much of an argument I'd put up. And even though I should really temper my expectations, I'm really excited for the sequel.
Old 09-28-14, 11:25 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Loved the first one, but have a feeling this is going to be horrible. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-29-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I dunno... the fact that they look so old, yet are wearing the same clothes and hairstyles and are going through the same antics make it feel like it's trying too hard to re-capture something that's already gone. A sequel 5 years after the original would be fine... 10 years is pushing it... but 20 years really feels like that ship has sailed.
Old 09-29-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I dunno... the fact that they look so old, yet are wearing the same clothes and hairstyles and are going through the same antics make it feel like it's trying too hard to re-capture something that's already gone. A sequel 5 years after the original would be fine... 10 years is pushing it... but 20 years really feels like that ship has sailed.......................right into our local theaters!
Yes!
Old 11-06-14, 03:24 PM

Had an opportunity to see this last night at the Regal Variety Event in Knoxville, Tn. Jeff Daniels was there to speak to everybody as well. Seems like a nice guy...

Being a fan and remembering seeing the original when I was in High School, I was excited to see this...

They did a great job with the characters, but most of the jokes didn't have the impact as the ones in the original did. It did have several "LOL" moments, but fewer than the original...

Overall, it was decent and as good of a sequel as I was expecting for a movie that was 20 years old..
Old 11-07-14, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by COACH2369
They did a great job with the characters, but most of the jokes didn't have the impact as the ones in the original did. It did have several "LOL" moments, but fewer than the original...
Reminds me of my reaction to American Reunion comparing it to the first three.
Old 11-07-14, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I am a HUGE fan of the original Dumb & Dumber, but every trailer I have seen has produced ZERO funny moments. Sequels usually suck but have a few funny moments they always stick in the trailer, but it seems they couldn't find any for this one.

I'm going to take a pass on this one and watch it when it comes to cable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.