Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great Director/Horrible Director:Best and Worst

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Great Director/Horrible Director:Best and Worst

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Great Director/Horrible Director:Best and Worst

From some of these posts it appears that if a director known for great films makes a competent average movie it's automatically shit.
Old 10-27-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Scorsese
Best: MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER, GOODFELLAS
Worst: BRINGING OUT THE DEAD, anything with DiCaprio

Walter Hill
Best: EXTREME PREJUDICE, JOHNNY HANDSOME, TRESPASS
Worst: LAST MAN STANDING, WILD BILL, UNDISPUTED
Old 10-27-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Francis Ford Coppola

Top of Game: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather: Part II, Apocalypse Now

Crap: Everything else
IMO Rumble Fish would be included as Top of Game.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Jacques Tati

Top of game: Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Mon Oncle

Crap (mostly): Play Time
Have to disagree with that.
Playtime is IMO Tati's masterpiece.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Many good ones have already been covered. A few more:

Michael Haneke
●Top of his game: Funny Games (1997), The Seventh Continent, Benny's Video, The Piano Teacher, 71 Fragments of a Chronology..., Cache
●WTF is this crap?: Code Unknown

Andrei Tarkovsky
●Top of his game: Stalker, Solaris, Nostalghia
●WTF is this crap?: The Sacrifice
IMO Tarkovsky & Haneke have not made a bad film.

I will add

Ridley Scott
●Top of his game: The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner
●WTF is this crap?: Everything else
Old 10-27-11, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Never seen Meet The Feebles, huh?

And I think I'm the only one that liked Lovely Bones.
I love the lovely bones. I have seen it multiple times. It may not be the best movie, but it is told in such an original way that it has stuck with me.
Old 10-27-11, 12:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Jacques Tati

Top of game: Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Mon Oncle

Crap (mostly): Play Time
What?!
Old 10-27-11, 12:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Clint Eastwood you have to give a pass to.
He makes all kind of movies except horror. So he's gonna hit or miss.
I don't know. Watching him paw at Meryl Streep in The Bridges of Madison County was pretty horrifying.
Old 10-27-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Two off the top of my head.

Tim Burton

Good stuff- Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Big Fish

? Stuff- Batman Returns, Sleepy Hollow,
I somewhat disagree with these two. If you look at Batman Returns as a Batman movie, then yes, it is kind of lackluster. However, as a work of Tim Burton's weirdness, it's kind of cool. I think Sleepy Hollow is my favorite Burton movie overall, due to how well his style melds with that of the Hammer horror movies he's imitating.
Old 10-27-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

P.S. It is okay to disagree with other's opinions in this thread, but give some reasoning behind it. Respectful and mature arguments keep these forums interesting! Emphasis on mature I might add.
Old 10-27-11, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
John Carpenter.

Good stuff: Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, Christine

Crap: Village of the Damned, Vampires, Ghosts of Mars
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Francis Ford Coppola

Top of Game: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather: Part II, Apocalypse Now

Crap: Everything else
So goddamn true on JC and FFC

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Scorsese
Best: MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER, GOODFELLAS
Worst: BRINGING OUT THE DEAD, anything with DiCaprio
why don't you like DiCaprio again?
Old 10-27-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
why don't you like DiCaprio again?
I never believe DiCaprio, esp. when he's supposed to be playing an adult. In Scorsese's films he looks like a kid in dress-up. And the only "acting" he does is when he furrows his brow to look "serious." He doesn't look right, he doesn't stand right, he doesn't talk right, he doesn't move right. I need a real actor in those roles, someone who inhabits the character from the inside out and makes the character his own. DiCaprio always seems to be at quite a remove from his characters. Just compare him to young De Niro in the earlier Scorsese movies. De Niro became those characters in a way DiCaprio will never be capable of.
Old 10-27-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I never believe DiCaprio, esp. when he's supposed to be playing an adult. In Scorsese's films he looks like a kid in dress-up. And the only "acting" he does is when he furrows his brow to look "serious." He doesn't look right, he doesn't stand right, he doesn't talk right, he doesn't move right. I need a real actor in those roles, someone who inhabits the character from the inside out and makes the character his own. DiCaprio always seems to be at quite a remove from his characters. Just compare him to young De Niro in the earlier Scorsese movies. De Niro became those characters in a way DiCaprio will never be capable of.
I agree wholeheartedly. DiCaprio was fantastic in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", "This Boy's Life" and "The Basketball Diaries" and a few others, but that trailer for the new J. Edgar Hoover movie makes me cringe. Lots of brow-furrowing.
Old 10-27-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I agree wholeheartedly. DiCaprio was fantastic in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", "This Boy's Life" and "The Basketball Diaries" and a few others, but that trailer for the new J. Edgar Hoover movie makes me cringe. Lots of brow-furrowing.
I feel like perhaps some people just got overtaken by DiCaprio's immense celebrity post-Titanic. In all the pre-Titanic work, he was just an actor and it was easier to just go with him in the role. I think he has done a good job of maturing as an actor though by working with great directors. I thought his performance in The Aviator was fantastic, as well as Catch Me If You Can. The De Niro comparison is unfair, I believe. De Niro is essentially a character actor that was lucky enough to rise to prominence during the American New Wave when acting talent was valued far more than mere playboy looks. Perhaps, I'm just too young, but I don't think De Niro or Pacino were ever "teen heart throbs." The heart throb actors of that time were McQueen, Newman, and maybe Burt Reynolds and I think all three of them are more akin to DiCaprio in that they have a hard time just becoming the character excepting a few roles in their careers.

I'd say the actor who is the hardest for me to ever see simply becoming a character, outside of a few of his films, is John Wayne. He is simply too iconic and he overpowers his roles unless he is under expert direction.

And to be on-topic:

Sidney Lumet

The Best: Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, 12 Angry Men, Network

WTF: The Wiz
Old 10-27-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Sidney Lumet

The Best: Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, 12 Angry Men, Network
...Prince of the City, The Verdict, Child's Play (1972), The Deadly Affair...
Old 10-27-11, 08:36 PM
Banned

Matt Damon has the same type of looks but is able to play any role.
Old 10-27-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I feel like perhaps some people just got overtaken by DiCaprio's immense celebrity post-Titanic. In all the pre-Titanic work, he was just an actor and it was easier to just go with him in the role. I think he has done a good job of maturing as an actor though by working with great directors. I thought his performance in The Aviator was fantastic, as well as Catch Me If You Can. The De Niro comparison is unfair, I believe. De Niro is essentially a character actor that was lucky enough to rise to prominence during the American New Wave when acting talent was valued far more than mere playboy looks. Perhaps, I'm just too young, but I don't think De Niro or Pacino were ever "teen heart throbs." The heart throb actors of that time were McQueen, Newman, and maybe Burt Reynolds and I think all three of them are more akin to DiCaprio in that they have a hard time just becoming the character excepting a few roles in their careers.
If DiCaprio had stuck to playing "teen heart throb roles," I wouldn't be complaining about him because I wouldn't have seen any of those stupid movies. But in the Scorsese movies, he's not playing teen heart throbs, he's playing real characters that demanded a real actor, so he should be held to the same standard as De Niro. The '60s equivalent would be like casting Troy Donahue or Tab Hunter in the Newman roles of that time, like THE HUSTLER or HUD. We can debate Newman's talent as an actor versus his appeal as a movie star, but he sure made Fast Eddie come alive in THE HUSTLER in a way that's much closer to De Niro than DiCaprio. And, of course, he later won an Oscar for the same role in a sequel directed by...Scorsese!
Old 10-27-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Richard Donner

The Best: Lethal Weapon, The Omen, Superman (I'd put the Goonies here, but IMO it's good but overrated)

WTF: Lethal Weapon 3 and 4, Timeline
Old 10-27-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DiCaprio is a great actor. Probably one of the best working today. At the moment, I can't think of anybody with a larger screen presence. He plays a wide variety of roles and plays them all well. What's not to like?
Old 10-27-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ivan Reitman
Top of His Game: Meatballs, Dave, Ghostbusters, Stripes
WTF is This Crap: Six Days Seven Nights, Fathers' Day, Junior, Ghostbusters II
Old 10-28-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
William Friedkin

Top of Game: The French Connection, The Exorcist, Sorcerer, Cruising, Too Live and Die in LA, Bug

Crap: The Guardian, Deal of the Century, Blue Chips
Can i disagree and say that Bug def belongs in the Crap department? A movie so bad and boring that Ashley Judd going full monty couldn't save it
Old 10-28-11, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If DiCaprio had stuck to playing "teen heart throb roles," I wouldn't be complaining about him because I wouldn't have seen any of those stupid movies. But in the Scorsese movies, he's not playing teen heart throbs, he's playing real characters that demanded a real actor, so he should be held to the same standard as De Niro. The '60s equivalent would be like casting Troy Donahue or Tab Hunter in the Newman roles of that time, like THE HUSTLER or HUD. We can debate Newman's talent as an actor versus his appeal as a movie star, but he sure made Fast Eddie come alive in THE HUSTLER in a way that's much closer to De Niro than DiCaprio. And, of course, he later won an Oscar for the same role in a sequel directed by...Scorsese!
The teen heart throb comment was not meant to imply that DiCaprio still plays such roles or should, but that such roles increased his celebrity to such heights that he was overexposed as such for a period of time. I think that is what is influencing a lot of people who hate him as an actor.

Especially, when people cite his pre-Titanic films as his best work. I mean, most "celebrity actors" today cannot blend into a role. It is so hard to get invested in an Angelina Jolie character for this reason. Brad Pitt on the other hand tends to do it better than most (12 Monkeys, Se7en, Fight Club). I think DiCaprio leans more towards Pitt than Jolie. I can find myself believing his characters. But, then again, I cannot watch Kevin Costner movies because I always feel like I am simply watching Kevin Costner and not a character. We all probably have an actor we cannot buy into for whatever reason
Old 08-26-12, 03:13 PM
Suspended

DAVID GORDON GREEN

BEST: ALL THE REAL GIRLS
WORST: YOUR HIGHNESS

(how did the same guy direct both of these)
Old 08-26-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
John Carpenter.

Good stuff: Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, Christine

Crap: Village of the Damned, Vampires, Ghosts of Mars
I would also include

Good stuff : Assault on Pecinct 13, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, Escape From NY

Crap: Escape From L.A.
Old 08-26-12, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tobe Hooper

Top of Game: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Eaten Alive, The Funhouse, Salem's Lot, Poltergeist, Lifeforce, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II

Bad Bad: Spontaneous Combustion, Invaders from Mars, Crocodile, Mortuary, The Mangler
Ahem...Hooper didn't direct Poltergeist, Spielberg did. Dunno how I skipped your post the last time.
Old 08-26-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Ahem...Hooper didn't direct Poltergeist, Spielberg did. Dunno how I skipped your post the last time.
Yeah I know all the stories...but whose name is on the credit?. Go to any movie reference site and you'll find Hooper listed as the director. You can even ask Spielberg. Case closed. It's officially a Tobe Hooper film. Sorry Snake.

BTW you can have Poltergeist....It's nothing special. Tobe still directed one of the greatest films of all time ... The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I can hang my hat on that.
Old 08-26-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Tobe still directed one of the greatest films of all time ... The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I can hang my hat on that.
Damn right, but excepting Salem's Lot, I haven't liked a single thing he has done since his debut.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.