Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Old 10-22-11, 12:58 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Early estimates from Boxoffice.com:

1 Paranormal Activity 3 $50,000,000 -- 3,321 -- $15,056 $50,000,000 1 Paramount
2 Footloose (2011) $11,100,000 -29% 3,555 6 $3,122 $31,113,031 2 Paramount
3 Real Steel $11,000,000 -32% 3,412 -28 $3,224 $66,907,640 3 Disney / DreamWorks
4 The Three Musketeers (2011) $8,700,000 -- 3,017 -- $2,884 $8,700,000 1 Summit
5 The Ides of March $4,800,000 -32% 2,042 -157 $2,351 $29,059,326 3 Sony / Columbia
6 Dolphin Tale $4,500,000 -28% 2,828 -458 $1,591 $64,690,675 5 Warner Bros.
7 Moneyball $4,100,000 -25% 2,353 -487 $1,742 $63,758,894 5 Sony / Columbia
8 Johnny English Reborn $3,700,000 -- 1,552 -- $2,384 $3,700,000 1 Universal
9 The Thing (2011) $3,100,000 -64% 2,995 -1 $1,035 $14,079,345 2 Universal
10 50/50 $2,800,000 -34% 1,932 -459 $1,449 $28,785,540 4 Summit
11 Courageous $2,600,000 -21% 1,195 -19 $2,176 $25,081,166 4 Sony / TriStar
Moneyball is showing some strong legs and The Ides of March is holding steady, despite a soft opening.
Old 10-22-11, 01:17 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,086
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Impressive opening for PA3. It did almost as much the first day as PA2 got its first weekend.

Nothing else stands out, though. Sure, some films are having good holds but their grosses aren't up to where they need to be.
Old 10-22-11, 01:49 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Impressive opening for PA3. It did almost as much the first day as PA2 got its first weekend.
Huh?

PA2 did $44 million last year on its opening weekend. PA3 is on track to do 13-15% more if it actually makes it to $50 million (rival studios think it has the capability of doing up to $55 million). Today will be the real test due to the front-loaded midnight/Friday screenings as PA2 had a 35% drop from Friday-to-Saturday. CinemaScore has the film at a "C+" which isn't a good sign for sustainability.
Old 10-22-11, 02:03 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,086
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Oh, for some reason I was thinking PA2 did $31m. Still, a damn fine # for a film with a $5m budget.
Old 10-22-11, 02:06 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

The midnight gross for PA3 was $8 million (compared to PA2's $6.3 mil).

I also read that the budget for Three Musketeers was $90 million. Looks like it'll follow a similar path that Conan had. Musketeers is doing better overseas.
Old 10-22-11, 02:27 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,086
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

I would've rather seen the studio give Paul W.S. Anderson the $90m in return for never making films again.

Also, I can't believe he gets to fuck Milla.
Old 10-22-11, 02:51 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

I don't get it. When I see tons of tons of people flocking to those films, I sort of feel like I wasn't meant for this planet.
Old 10-22-11, 03:07 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Oh, for some reason I was thinking PA2 did $31m. Still, a damn fine # for a film with a $5m budget.
The P&A budget is rumored to have been $12 million for PA3 meaning the film already went into the black by sometime Friday afternoon. Paramount is going to rape this franchise to death as it's practically printing cash for them each year.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't get it. When I see tons of tons of people flocking to those films, I sort of feel like I wasn't meant for this planet.
They're fun with a crowd, as long as the crowd realizes not to speak during the film. I had great crowds with the first two, the crowd for the third was awful as I had assholes two rows behind me who would not shut the fuck up.
Old 10-22-11, 03:45 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,148
Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Safe to assume this franchise isn't going away anytime soon?
Old 10-22-11, 03:58 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
The P&A budget is rumored to have been $12 million for PA3 meaning the film already went into the black by sometime Friday afternoon. Paramount is going to rape this franchise to death as it's practically printing cash for them each year.

Where are you getting the 12 million dollar number? Every box office site that I have looked has said it was 5 million dollars. Not that it matters it is going to make a ton anyway, just wondering.
Old 10-22-11, 04:28 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
Where are you getting the 12 million dollar number? Every box office site that I have looked has said it was 5 million dollars. Not that it matters it is going to make a ton anyway, just wondering.
The production budget of the film is $5 million, but that doesn't include prints and advertising for the picture. Analysts have it pegged at $12-14 million based upon the facts that PA cost $8-9 million for P&A and PA2 cost $10-12 million for P&A.

Once all is said and done, Paramount needed to clear $18 million for it to "break even." [Technically, it needs to make 20-30% more than $18 million as theaters get a percentage of the film's gross.] As we all saw, it took in enough to cover all of the film's costs on day one.
Old 10-22-11, 04:33 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,659
Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't get it. When I see tons of tons of people flocking to those films, I sort of feel like I wasn't meant for this planet.
I prefer seeing this series do well rather than some trashy torture porn. At least they appear to be somewhat thoughtfully and competently made (haven't seen 2 or 3).
Old 10-22-11, 04:41 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
The production budget of the film is $5 million, but that doesn't include prints and advertising for the picture. Analysts have it pegged at $12-14 million based upon the facts that PA cost $8-9 million for P&A and PA2 cost $10-12 million for P&A.

Once all is said and done, Paramount needed to clear $18 million for it to "break even." [Technically, it needs to make 20-30% more than $18 million as theaters get a percentage of the film's gross.] As we all saw, it took in enough to cover all of the film's costs on day one.
Thanks, I thought that you meant the production budget was 12 million so I thought you had some iinformation I missed out on. I usually take the budget and triple it to get to the approximate break even point so that's about right.

It's been a bad, bad year for horror at the box office so I am happy to see this one do well.
Old 10-22-11, 04:48 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 15,651
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
They're fun with a crowd, as long as the crowd realizes not to speak during the film. I had great crowds with the first two, the crowd for the third was awful as I had assholes two rows behind me who would not shut the fuck up.
I will agree with that statement. The first PA flick provided me with one of my favorite theatrical moments ever when a voice called out "What the fuck?!?" right near the end. It was completely unexpected and totally fitting.

The crowd for PA3 sucked. This group of people brought a very young child with them. Kid couldn't have been older than 2, as they actually carried the stroller up the stairs. I figured it would be a disaster and it was. The kind of people who would do something like that would be the same type of people to speak incessantly throughout the movie. When the noise of the movie started to ratchet up near the end, the child got upset. Someone shushed them and the "parent" tried starting an argument with them. We spent the rest of the movie with theater workers hanging out near the entrances to monitor these imbeciles.
Old 10-22-11, 04:58 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
The crowd for PA3 sucked. This group of people brought a very young child with them. Kid couldn't have been older than 2, as they actually carried the stroller up the stairs. I figured it would be a disaster and it was. The kind of people who would do something like that would be the same type of people to speak incessantly throughout the movie. When the noise of the movie started to ratchet up near the end, the child got upset. Someone shushed them and the "parent" tried starting an argument with them. We spent the rest of the movie with theater workers hanging out near the entrances to monitor these imbeciles.
I went to the 10pm showing on Thursday. I walked into the theater around 8:30pm as we wanted good seats and I was literally amazed to see the amount of Mexican children inside the theater. While the theater was about 80-90% full (the specific auditorium holds 400), there were about two-to-three dozen children. On a school night. Actually, the children were the least annoying as they just sat there in silence and watched the film. It was a group of jerkoffs who couldn't have been older than 20, and probably high school dropouts, who kept on trying to be funny during the film's final twenty minutes. People told them to shut up, but they kept on going.

It sucks because I saw the first two at the same, exact theater and there were never any issues.

Our society isn't going to hell because they're making films like this. Our society is going to shit as Generation Y should've all aborted their children.
Old 10-22-11, 10:06 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,264
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
I went to the 10pm showing on Thursday. I walked into the theater around 8:30pm as we wanted good seats and I was literally amazed to see the amount of Mexican children inside the theater. While the theater was about 80-90% full (the specific auditorium holds 400), there were about two-to-three dozen children. On a school night. Actually, the children were the least annoying as they just sat there in silence and watched the film. It was a group of jerkoffs who couldn't have been older than 20, and probably high school dropouts, who kept on trying to be funny during the film's final twenty minutes. People told them to shut up, but they kept on going.

It sucks because I saw the first two at the same, exact theater and there were never any issues.

Our society isn't going to hell because they're making films like this. Our society is going to shit as Generation Y should've all aborted their children.
I tried to tell a black guy in front of me to turn his cell phone off (fucking texter) as the light is distracting, especially for a movie like this) and told me to shut up (and this was a midnight showing)
Old 10-22-11, 11:29 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I tried to tell a black guy in front of me to turn his cell phone off (fucking texter) as the light is distracting, especially for a movie like this) and told me to shut up (and this was a midnight showing)
This next comment will come off as completely racist and also happens to spoil the last fifteen minutes of the film:

Spoiler:
Where the jerkoffs got real annoying was during the final fifteen minutes when Dennis is searching through the house trying to find everyone. They kept on shouting, "What did Toby do with them?" "Oh shit, Toby got the mom!" "Toby got the grandmother!" Blah blah blah. Numerous people in the audience told them to shut up and they just kept on going with their make-shift MST3K commentary. Ugh.

As I told my friends after the film ended, I wanted to scream out, "If you don't the shut the fuck up, I'm going to grab my whip and start calling you Toby!"

See what I did there? It works well on so many levels as it requires you to think about the racist joke and guarantees me a spot on hell.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 10-23-11 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-22-11, 11:37 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,377
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
This next comment will come off as completely racist and also happens to spoil the last fifteen minutes of the film:

Spoiler:
Where the jerkoffs got real annoying was during the final fifteen minutes when Dennis is searching through the house trying to find everyone. They kept on shouting, "What did Toby do with them?" "Oh shit, Toby got the mom!" "Toby got the grandmother!" Blah blah blah. Numerous people in the audience told them to shut up and they did just kept on going with their make-shift MST3K commentary. Ugh.

As I told my friends after the film ended, I wanted to scream out, "If you don't the shut the fuck up, I'm going to grab my whip and start calling you Toby!"

See what I did there? It works well on so many levels as it requires you to think about the racist joke and guarantees me a spot on hell.
Old 10-23-11, 12:53 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,043
Received 202 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

This thread has turned into those self entitled assholes who ruin movies for everyone else. Which is my favorite subject. So can I just add to the discussion of one of the biggest assholes I've ever encountered in a movie theater? And then I promise to get back on track. Three weeks ago I went to go see "Killer Elite" on a Saturday morning. First show of the day. 30 minutes into the movie, a guy come into the theater with a flashlight and starts looking under the seats in at least 10 rows. Then, he comes back in 5 minutes later and looks under those same rows again. A few minutes later, he comes back in AGAIN. This time, an AMC employee is standing at the exit watching him as the mother fucker looks under those same rows for whatever he lost. Clearly from the last movie the night before. Finally, a woman says to him "Do you mind!? We're trying to watch a movie here". And he had the audacity to say to her "I'm glad you're trying to enjoy your film. But what I'm looking for is much more important". This douchebag couldn't get to the theater before the film started. Nor could he wait until the film ended. No, he had to do this while the film was running. Three times! And I'm still shocked the theater employees allowed this to happen.

Back to this weekend's box-office, there are quite a few films in the top 10 that seem to be coasting on great word of mouth.
Old 10-23-11, 03:25 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 539
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Me it was a big group of black teenagers with their pants around their knees and they're huge baseball caps. I also did this rant in the official thread of Paranormal Activity but i just had to share it here with the other stories :P

Constantly running their mouths during the tense parts and then spending the next 5 minutes laughing and reeling about how scared they just got. They were off to the side and down from us but still quite rude and annoying. And to top it off this group of 4 people arrived 15 minutes in the movie and sat right in front of us! Eating nachos and talking. WAY less annoying and those fucktards down there but still. If i know i'll be missing parts of the movie i don't even want to go! What's the point?!

Since my last 2 ghostly(Paranormal Activity 2 and Insidious) movies were ruined by the same type of people. At my local theater in downtown Montreal there's this theater that's called AVX, it has better picture and sound and has reserved seating and costs an extra 4 dollars a ticket(almost 16$) so i figured that the people that are usually annoying and aren't big movie lovers like us would not want to pay such an expensive ticket right? WRONG!

God i hate today's society. with their hip hop and cell phones. LOL i'm so bitter at only 30 years old!

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-23-11, 03:29 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
This thread has turned into those self entitled assholes who ruin movies for everyone else. Which is my favorite subject. So can I just add to the discussion of one of the biggest assholes I've ever encountered in a movie theater? And then I promise to get back on track. Three weeks ago I went to go see "Killer Elite" on a Saturday morning. First show of the day. 30 minutes into the movie, a guy come into the theater with a flashlight and starts looking under the seats in at least 10 rows. Then, he comes back in 5 minutes later and looks under those same rows again. A few minutes later, he comes back in AGAIN. This time, an AMC employee is standing at the exit watching him as the mother fucker looks under those same rows for whatever he lost. Clearly from the last movie the night before. Finally, a woman says to him "Do you mind!? We're trying to watch a movie here". And he had the audacity to say to her "I'm glad you're trying to enjoy your film. But what I'm looking for is much more important". This douchebag couldn't get to the theater before the film started. Nor could he wait until the film ended. No, he had to do this while the film was running. Three times! And I'm still shocked the theater employees allowed this to happen.

Back to this weekend's box-office, there are quite a few films in the top 10 that seem to be coasting on great word of mouth.
They should have let him look as soon as the movie ended and not bothered guests. Complain to AMC. You'll probably be compensated.
Old 10-23-11, 01:16 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Jesus Christ, this thread is turning into a Klan meeting based upon everyone's piss poor experiences with the PA3 crowds.

Deadline is reporting PA3 pulled in $54 million. Not only an all-time best for the PA franchise, but an all-time best for the horror genre in general.

The rest is for those who don't fall into the TL;DR crowd.

Originally Posted by Nikki Finke's Mystery Machine
SUNDAY AM, 6TH UPDATE: Hollywood’s scary 3 months of slumping North American box office is officially over — appropriately enough at the start of Halloweek. In fact Paranormal Activity 3 (which cost only $5M) recorded the biggest horror opening of all time and the biggest October debut this weekend not adjusted for inflation or ticket pricing, according to Paramount. Its worldwide cume is now $80M. For decades, studios have had to spend more and more to keep their big franchises aloft. Not the Paranormal Activity series, and in this economic climate that’s become a very attractive model for the studios.

1. Paramount’s Paranormal Activity 3 as predicted is setting a franchise best with what rival studios say is $54M for the weekend after opening to $26.2M Friday and $18.2 Saturday in 3,321 theaters. So kudos to Oren Peli and Jason Blum who returned to produce the small-budget big-secret feature. True, audiences gave it only a ‘C+’ CinemaScore. Then again how many horror films are well-reviewed enough to receive 80% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with raves from Time Magazine and Entertainment Weekly? “Our usual crowd of older teens and 20 year olds were joined by a big increase in folks in their 30s and 40s where the great reviews really helped,” a Paramount exec told me Sunday morning. Of course, there was a -30% drop from Friday to Saturday. (PA2 dropped -35%.) That’s because PA3 took in $8M midnights from 2,200 U.S. locations overnight Thursday which was +30% higher than the sequel Paranormal Activity 2 which earned $6.3M from 1,800 locations. Pre-release, Paramount was lowballing the threequel to gross at least $35M in domestic box office. But PA2 made $40.6M its 2010 pre-Halloween weekend, then competitor Saw 3D debuted the following Friday. PA3 has no such rival this time around. So Hollywood knew it would make a lot more money.

PA3 is a game-changer since the track record in the U.S. for almost all franchises is that the sequel opens bigger than the first but then the threequel opens slightly lower than the second. Paranormal Activity 3‘s strong tracking for weeks showed wannasee not just with young males but also with older moviegoers. Exit polls showed that moviegoers were 46% male vs 54% female, 53% under age 25 vs 47% over age 25. So no surprise this bloodless thriller broke Hollywood’s 3-month-long box office slump this weekend. Not since Fox’s Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes ($54.8M) on August 5th has there been a big grossing domestic opener beyond $30.1M (Disney’s Lion King 3D). PA3 cost only $5M, making the low-budget high-grossing franchise “the gift that keeps on giving,” as a studio exec tells me. (PA1 did $108M/$85M foreign, while PA2 did $85M in the U.S. and $93M foreign.)

I remember the marketing strategy for the first Paranormal Activity: midnight screenings in a few college towns, build word of mouth over several weeks, then slowly open it across the country. Now the 3rd in the franchise gets a wide release from the get-go. “We always market this franchise in a very specific way- we try to stay true to the fanbase,” A Paramount exec tells me. “We don’t betray the conceit that the footage is real, and we rely on core fans to spread the word by doing playful stunts and allowing them to see it first.” Paramount highlighted its Thursday midnight opening in all its media. The trailer launched with Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes on August 5th – just 2 months before release, which is kinda late. The TV campaign consisted of lots of cable and very little network as well as the highest percentage of online of any movie Paramount has ever handled. ”We spend half of what most other wide releases spend in P&A and continue to let fan buzz propel release,” a Paramount exec boasted. Then again, I have to laugh at what Ariel Schulman, who directed with Henry Joost, said about how they got the PA3 gig. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of that studio meeting: ”Catfish had a lot to do with it. Paramount were big fans and we had been on their radar. When we first interviewed with the president of Paramount, he actually said, “If you tell me right now that Catfish is fake, you’ve got the job.” And we just went real silent. And then I said, “I’m sorry, I can’t tell you that.” Because it was real. I think he figured that if we could create that authenticity dramatically, then we could do it again for this. Ultimately, we convinced them of exactly that. Catfish is completely real, but I think we have a knack for identifying the authentic moments in home video, and it plays like a narrative.”

Internationally, Paranormal Activity 3 scored $26M overseas from some 50 countries. Cumes were way up from PA2 often posting double-digit increases. UK opened with $5.7M, Australia $3.2M, Russia $2.9M, France $2.8M, and Mexico $2M. Germany, Japan and 6 other territories are left to open. To pump up global grosses, Paramount indulged in a global stunt: the first-ever worldwide tweet-to-see-it-first contest. There were 20 round-the-world fan premieres in 8 countries after a contest based on the most Twitter activity. Out of 250 cities, the winners included Melbourne, Tel Aviv, London, Sao Paulo, New York, and Hollywood’s Arclight, where thousands of fans turned out for gourmet food trucks and franchise star Katie Featherston.

2. DreamWorks/Disney’s Real Steal reeled in $3M Friday and $4.9M Saturday from 3,412 theaters at the start of its 3rd week in release. There was another nice family matinee bounce on Saturday settting up a $10.9M weekend (-33% drop from a week ago) and $67M cume. So the pic moved into second place ahead of Footloose. But DreamWorks can’t get what it needed on this film: a $125M domestic hit.

3. After a disappointing start last weekend, the Footloose reboot is having strong one-week hold for $3.4M Friday and $4.5m Saturday driven by word of mouth and its ‘A’ CinemaScore. Footloose is looking for an estimated $10.5M for the weekend (-33% from a week ago) with a $30M cume by Monday.

4. Summit Entertainment is distributing newcomer Three Musketeers 3D financed and produced by Constantin Film. Starring Milla Jovovich and Orlando Bloom, pic already opened in other parts of the world with an anemic international cume to date of $48.2M. A total of 23 additional foreign territories opened this past weekend, to bring the total to 40 currently in release including North America. But what has to be the 113th rendition of this pathetically played-out premise couldn’t make a box office dent even with (or because of, depending on your POV) Paul W.S. Anderson directing. It opened with only $2.9M Friday and $3.6M Saturday in 3,017 theaters for a weak $8.8M weekend. That’s well below Summit’s pre-release estimate of low teens. I’m told the West Coast didn’t hold up despite audiences giving it a ‘B’ CinemaScore. The film was tracking strongest with older male moviegoers and to reach them Summit focused the media spend on male-oriented programming with a concentration on sports. Constantin held a worldwide press junket in London completed with set-up shots for media outlets in front of The Tower of London, which stars in the film. Orlando Bloom (he’s still acting?) was booked for North American talk show appearances. There also was a promotion tie-in with leading TV maker Viszio.

Perhaps the most interesting marketing ploy was debuted on Friday by Milla Jovovich herself when she took to Twitter to bitchslap Summit over the promotion for Three Musketeers 3D. Jovovich texted that the film wasn’t marketed as a “fun family film” and that Summit is “resting on their laurels” because of the Twilight franchise and “making no effort” for her film. A sample: “3 musketeers” opens in the US 2night! Do you think ppl know abt the movie? Ask your friends! Do they know it’s a fun family film?… Summit hve swept “3 Musketeers”, a grt family adventure film, under the rug in the US. Shame on them. SHAME ON YOU “SUMMIT”. I asked Summit last night what it thought of Milla’s accusations, and an executive pointed out that the actress had been up in Canada shooting the next Resident Evil installment ”and probably didn’t see the campaign. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about and we don’t know where she’s coming from.” On the other hand, Jovovich is married to Three Musketeers 3D director Anderson, so it’s hard to imagine she is completely clueless to how Summit marketed the film. Nevertheless, Summit points to awareness in the 80s as a sure sign that the movie was marketed adequately. ”Wouldn’t you think she would call us first about this? It’s frustrating. it’s not the right way to behave. If she has a problem then come to the studio and talk about it.” Milla was tweeting on her flight to Japan where Three Musketeers 3D is debuting at the Tokyo International Film Festival. I wonder if Summit will cancel her car pickup and strand her at the airport for mouthing off.

5. Sony Pictures’ adult political thriller from George Clooney, Ides Of March, holds well again for $1.5M Fridayand $2.4M Saturday from 2,042 theaters at the start of its 3rd week in release and a weekend around $5.1M (-28%) for a $29M cume.

6. Alcon Entertainment/Warner Bros’ Dolphin Tale 3D stays afloat for $1.2M Friday and $2.1M Saturday from 2,858 theaters at the start of its 5th week in release and an estimated $4.7M weekend rising to 6th place for a $65M cume.

7. Sony Pictures’ Moneyball has another great hold for $1.3M Friday and 41.9M Saturday from 2,353 theaters at the start of its 5th week in release and a $4.4M weekend with $64M cume.

8. Universal’s low-budget Johnny English Reborn (1,551 theaters) opened just $1.1M for Friday and $1.4m Saturday despite audiences giving it a ‘B’ CinemaScore. That translated to a poor $4M opening for the weekend. But the studio opened this Working Title pic internationally back on September 16th and the foreign gross has reflected star Rowan Atkinson’s enormous popularity overseas. This weekend, the film is poised to reach $100 million at the international box office. It opened No. 1 in almost all of the 43 international markets where it’s been released and, with 20 international territories yet to open, it’s well on its way to grossing $200 million or more worldwide. The film opens in 6 more international markets this weekend, including France. Does the U.S. marketing plan really matter? Nah…

9. Not even Halloweek could help Universal’s horror holdover The Thing prequel which went down -59% from a week ago for $1M Friday and $1.3M Saturday from 2,995 theaters and a $3.1M weekend for $14M cume.

10. Summit’s 50/50 dramedy hangs in the Top 10 for $927K Friday and $1.3M Saturday from 1,932 theaters at the start of its 4th week in release and a $2.9M weekend with just under $29M cume by Monday.
Old 10-23-11, 02:11 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 3,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

1. I'm glad Three Musketeers bombed.

2. Same with Johnny English.

3. Why do people keep seeing Paranormal Activity?
Old 10-23-11, 05:46 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 View Post
Me it was a big group of black teenagers with their pants around their knees and they're huge baseball caps. I also did this rant in the official thread of Paranormal Activity but i just had to share it here with the other stories :P

Constantly running their mouths during the tense parts and then spending the next 5 minutes laughing and reeling about how scared they just got. They were off to the side and down from us but still quite rude and annoying. And to top it off this group of 4 people arrived 15 minutes in the movie and sat right in front of us! Eating nachos and talking. WAY less annoying and those fucktards down there but still. If i know i'll be missing parts of the movie i don't even want to go! What's the point?!

Since my last 2 ghostly(Paranormal Activity 2 and Insidious) movies were ruined by the same type of people. At my local theater in downtown Montreal there's this theater that's called AVX, it has better picture and sound and has reserved seating and costs an extra 4 dollars a ticket(almost 16$) so i figured that the people that are usually annoying and aren't big movie lovers like us would not want to pay such an expensive ticket right? WRONG!

God i hate today's society. with their hip hop and cell phones. LOL i'm so bitter at only 30 years old!

GET OFF MY LAWN!
That's not all black teens.
Old 10-23-11, 05:54 PM
  #25  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 3 Scares Up $26 Mil on Friday: Box Office 10/21-10/23

Oh here comes wm lopez with his liberal claptrap.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.