Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chronicle (2012) - Found-footage superheros

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Chronicle (2012) - Found-footage superheros

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Chronicle (2012) - Found-footage superheros

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think this is one of the few movies to use the found footage conceit to good effect.
Very much agreed. They even found a clever way to incorporate more cinematic camera angles than your typical found footage movie.
Old 02-04-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andrew has an abusive father, and decides to basically film his existence starting with his senior year in high school. Andrew and his cousin Matt, along with a high school acquaintance, Steve, go spelunking in a hole in the ground near the grounds of a high school party. The camera comes in handy in telling the story of what happened to those 3 students when they found something not of this earth, and black out, only to wake up with telekinetic powers. Not everyone in the group has finesse with their new powers, Andrew has far better control than Matt. Steve is more athletic, and finds more active use of his powers. The script is quite clever in using Andrew's new-found powers for interesting camerawork, and spares us the shaky-cam-ness that afflicted "Cloverfield".

I wish the film was a little smarter in the final act, but overall, still a compelling film of young adults dealing with their new-found telekinesis.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 02-04-12, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0PlwDbSYicM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-04-12, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^The stupid hipster drinking brandy or whatever turned me off in the first minute.
Old 02-05-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
^The stupid hipster drinking brandy or whatever turned me off in the first minute.
... and that's Max Landis, as himself.
Old 02-05-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this today and was very pleased with it. Andrew's arc was pretty believable and I enjoyed not knowing exactly where the story was going to go during the last 20 minutes or so.
Old 02-05-12, 12:22 AM
Banned

That's Max Landis.

Not to sound like an ass but what makes Landis a hipster? I mean..if I saw Jason Schwartzman from SP vs. TW...then yeah..but I guess Landis can be a hipster..I dunno. Who gives a shit as long as they aren't asses?
Old 02-05-12, 02:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
... and that's Max Landis, as himself.
Wow, that makes me not want to see Chronicle.
Old 02-05-12, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure he's a talented guy and all, but Max Landis comes across as an incredibly annoying, entitled know-it-all dipshit in that clip.
Old 02-05-12, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Wow, that makes me not want to see Chronicle.
If I based my decisions on what to watch based on the personalities of the filmmakers involved, I'd watch very few movies.
Old 02-05-12, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
If I based my decisions on what to watch based on the personalities of the filmmakers involved, I'd watch very few movies.
Well...you are entitled to your opinion, but it very much matters to me in my decision in what to view. Now excuse me, I have to get back and watch Powder.
Old 02-05-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Will probably see this a few more times and hopefully they'll make a trilogy.

Loved the
Spoiler:
Superman 2 /Akira style fight sequence at the end
Old 02-05-12, 11:15 AM
Banned

I
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I'm sure he's a talented guy and all, but Max Landis comes across as an incredibly annoying, entitled know-it-all dipshit in that clip.
We he was right. Death of Superman is horrible. The idea of having someone that strong to beat the fuck out of him is neat but holy crap is it executed in a mediocre fashion. It's a chore to read.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-05-12 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-05-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked Akira, and read all the graphic novels, loved the movie. When I saw the trailer for this it was pretty obvious it was inspired by Akira (despite the filmmakers not even mentioning it as one of the films that inspired it). I'm not stuck up where I believe that ideas cannot be borrowed, so I went to check it out expecting a good show. It borrows concepts from the graphic novels heavily, and the end where the boy ends up in a hospital gown wreaking havoc, to other small scenes, it seems to blatantly steals visuals (I will have to glance over the novels again).

Although I thought the ending was a bit flat for such a drawn out setup, I really enjoyed the ride through the first two thirds. I didn't feel the special effects were all that great, and the found footage angle was a bit too ... contrived, but I don't think that took much away from the story or the action.
Old 02-06-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think this is one of the few movies to use the found footage conceit to good effect.
I was 50/50 on it. At times it seemed forced. They seemed to always be talking about the camera and then the scene towards the end:

Spoiler:
Where Andrew is flying by the Space Needle and had to break the windows to grab the cameras.

Took me out of the movie.

On the other hand I really liked that it allowed us to skip the fluff. For example:
Spoiler:
We didn't have to sit through 20 minutes of them 'discovering' their powers. We've seen the same scenes in dozens of movies. Character 'accidently' figures out their power, we spend some time with him being shocked at what he can do and then we have him learn to fully realize it.

We didn't need that in this movie and the found footage stuff allowed them to gloss over it.

I did really enjoy this movie. The 3rd act was fantastic. I'm happy it ended the way it did...

Spoiler:
For awhile I thought they'd keep Andrew alive to set up a sequel. They still might have one but I'm happy they put a definitive end to Andrew
Old 02-06-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I was 50/50 on it. At times it seemed forced. They seemed to always be talking about the camera and then the scene towards the end:

Spoiler:
Where Andrew is flying by the Space Needle and had to break the windows to grab the cameras.

Took me out of the movie.
I thought that was pretty clever

I did really enjoy this movie. The 3rd act was fantastic. I'm happy it ended the way it did...

Spoiler:
For awhile I thought they'd keep Andrew alive to set up a sequel. They still might have one but I'm happy they put a definitive end to Andrew
but do you think....

Spoiler:
Andrew is really dead? There was a scene where the three of them were in a cafe and Matt shows he was invulnerable to being stabbed by a fork. I figured they were all invulnerable to certain projectile objects.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 02-08-12 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I really liked Akira, and read all the graphic novels, loved the movie. When I saw the trailer for this it was pretty obvious it was inspired by Akira (despite the filmmakers not even mentioning it as one of the films that inspired it). I'm not stuck up where I believe that ideas cannot be borrowed, so I went to check it out expecting a good show. It borrows concepts from the graphic novels heavily, and the end where the boy ends up in a hospital gown wreaking havoc, to other small scenes, it seems to blatantly steals visuals (I will have to glance over the novels again).

Although I thought the ending was a bit flat for such a drawn out setup, I really enjoyed the ride through the first two thirds. I didn't feel the special effects were all that great, and the found footage angle was a bit too ... contrived, but I don't think that took much away from the story or the action.
I never read the graphic novels, but watched the film relgiously when I was a kid. What visuals were taken from the novel and used in the film? I assumed pretty much everything from the Hospital scene onward was pretty much inspired by Akira and some elements of the Zod/Non/Ursa Supes battle from Superman2.
Old 02-07-12, 05:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I never read the graphic novels, but watched the film relgiously when I was a kid. What visuals were taken from the novel and used in the film? I assumed pretty much everything from the Hospital scene onward was pretty much inspired by Akira and some elements of the Zod/Non/Ursa Supes battle from Superman2.
He confirmed this in the reddit AMA he did today:

How do you feel about the comparison of Chronicle to Akira?

Tremendously flattered. I love Akira, and Andrew in the hospital gown at the end is definitely an intentional homage. That said, plotwise and in terms of the story as a whole, they really couldn't be more different. They share similar elements, but ultimately Akira is a sci-fi epic, and Chronicle is a drama about a lonely teenage boy.
Link to the full AMA:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...d_director_of/
Old 02-07-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I really liked this movie. The discovering of the powers was interesting, I liked the big fight at the end.

My one complaint is minor, but was so glaring it annoyed me as the scene went on. Why the hell was he driving to the hospital instead of just flying. The reason of course, was that they needed the girl to be there so that her camera could show us what was happening, but in the story it made no sense for him not to fly. The should have just had the house where the party was taking place be near downtown so they could have run over there. Still would make for sense for him to fly but would make more sense then them driving.
Old 02-07-12, 05:58 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I really liked this movie. The discovering of the powers was interesting, I liked the big fight at the end.

My one complaint is minor, but was so glaring it annoyed me as the scene went on. Why the hell was he driving to the hospital instead of just flying. The reason of course, was that they needed the girl to be there so that her camera could show us what was happening, but in the story it made no sense for him not to fly. The should have just had the house where the party was taking place be near downtown so they could have run over there. Still would make for sense for him to fly but would make more sense then them driving.
He drove because he did not want to reveal to his new girlfriend that he could fly.
Old 02-08-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot for the life of me understand why people liked this movie. Am I really the only one who didn't really care for any of these characters and thought the movie was painfully predictable? And the found footage thing was especially obnoxious and distracting to me in almost every scene; I might've let the movie slide a little more without it.
Old 02-08-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
but do you think....

Spoiler:
Andrew is really dead? There was a scene where the three of them were in a cafe and Matt shows he was invulnerable to being stabbed by a fork. I figured they were all invulnerable to certain projectile objects.
I interpreted that scene as

Spoiler:
Andrew bending it before it pierced his friends skin.
Old 02-08-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I really enjoyed the flick, the effects weren't top notch but they also weren't distracting (impressive for a $12m budget flick). Very predictable (what isn't these days) but a lot of fun. Reminded me a lot of Akira.

Every comic book movie is essentially predictable as hell outside of maybe the newer Batman movies. Most movies in general are predictable as hell. You either enjoy the ride or you don't.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-09-12 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw this last night and mostly enjoyed it. I loved all the scenes with them discovering how to use their powers, especially the flying. I wish it had been a proper theatrical film and not found footage. It makes no sense since we're getting video from other sources as well. Are we supposed to believe some magical person spliced all the footage together? Just make a damn movie. Some of the early effects looked bad (the legos in particular) but the rest were good enough for a relatively low-budget film.
Old 02-12-12, 05:16 PM

I interpreted that scene as

Spoiler:
Andrew bending it before it pierced his friends skin.
My wife and I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Some of the special effects looked cheesy, but not really a big deal. I interpreted that scene as:

Spoiler:
Matt put up the telekinetic shield right when the fork hit, like an instinctive reaction. I think his hand was red where the fork hit. They were only able to shield themselves when they knew something was coming. That's why Matt was able to kill Andrew. Also, did anyone else think it was like the movie The One? Like Matt and Andrew got stronger when Steven died?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.