Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Twilight Zone -- new film in development

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Twilight Zone -- new film in development

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
re: The Twilight Zone (2014?) D:Kosinski?

Don't like the idea of a single story, because a big part of the appeal of The Twilight Zone was getting a different kind of story from episode to episode; it could be a straight drama with a kick at the end, flat out science fiction, something cartoonish and funny, creepy horror, something surreal.

I love the idea of anthology films, but off the top of my head, I can't think of one that works. You usually wind up with one great story surrounded by three or four duds.
Old 08-16-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Don't like the idea of a single story, because a big part of the appeal of The Twilight Zone was getting a different kind of story from episode to episode; it could be a straight drama with a kick at the end, flat out science fiction, something cartoonish and funny, creepy horror, something surreal.

I love the idea of anthology films, but off the top of my head, I can't think of one that works. You usually wind up with one great story surrounded by three or four duds.
CREEPSHOW is pretty solid
Old 08-16-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, maybe if it spawns a sequel, that can be a whole different story with a whole different cast - like what they wanted to start with Halloween III.
Old 08-16-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be totally opposed to the idea of doing this as a feature film, Twilight Zone is absolutely more suited to an anthology format. With the proper directors and writers on board and someone with a big stick saying "30 MINUTES!", the idea would sound much more interesting.

Originally Posted by gmanca
Twilight Zone works best in it's Aesop's fables fashion of quick stories and this single storyline only befits the Outer Limit style of story where it was always about the journey than the destination.
The idea of a "high concept" almost always degenerates because it's a difficult thing to sustain for almost 2 hours. But for 25 minutes, it's damn near perfect, as many classic Twilight Zone episodes demonstrated.

Originally Posted by digidoh
The original Twilight Zone went to an hour-long (single-story) format for a shortened season. Serling himself said that the show worked best in a half-hour format.
Netflix used to have all of the seasons up except for the fourth, for some odd reason. Now they've dropped the third and the fifth, just to piss me off, presumably .

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Meh, can't be any worse than the first movie.
The Dante and Miller segments are knockouts.

The question is, will they cast Jennifer Jason Leigh?
Why would they?

Incidentally, I got a chance to see the original 1968 version of Planet of the Apes on the big screen this summer, and now that I know Serling was involved, it's amazing how many of his fingerprints I see.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-16-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113

Why would they?
Google her father.
Old 08-16-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Despite the tragedy surrounding the first TWILIGHT ZONE film, I think they had the concept exactly right for the big screen, a series of shorter stories all with a different directors - I'd love to seem them do that again, maybe with Tarantino, Fincher, and Chris Nolan - something like that would be awesome.

As a stand-alone single story, I'm not so sure the concept works - because there's only one big "twist" or "shock" in the whole movie.
Old 08-16-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Twilight Zone (2014?) D:Kosinski?

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Despite the tragedy surrounding the first TWILIGHT ZONE film, I think they had the concept exactly right for the big screen, a series of shorter stories all with a different directors - I'd love to seem them do that again, maybe with Tarantino, Fincher, and Chris Nolan - something like that would be awesome.
I'm not sure if Tarantino would be a good choice. His contributions to Four Rooms and Grindhouse are generally considered the worst stuff he's done. He does better with longer, dialogue-driven films.

I feel like Darren Aronofsky or Alex Proyas would be good for that.
Old 08-16-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I would love a Fincher, Nolan, Proyas movie with a wild card director thrown in there.
Old 08-16-13, 11:02 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Vic Morrow in it?
Old 08-16-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Is Vic Morrow in it?
I don't like where this is headed.
Old 08-16-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I don't like where this is headed.
Old 08-17-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Trick 'r Treat.
Old 08-17-13, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Yeah I would love a Fincher, Nolan, Proyas movie with a wild card director thrown in there.
While I admire how bold Proyas can get, he hasn't rocked it for me. Though I think he'd be good for a format like this. A Nolan, Fincher, and Proyas combo would be good. Varying styles for sure. And for some reason I'd like throw in a Del Toro in there. Just to add some creature element in there.

Out of the 1980s film I always remember from when I was a child how crazy the one with John Lithgow was. He was great in it. I saw that film 2 months. The Morrow and Crothers stories I dislike. Especially the latter. There's something so unique to it but Spielberg fails at it. It almost felt like Hook, I don't know how to put it.

Anyway the one that Dante did still holds to a point but hasn't aged well. It's a good one though. That one was so weird to me as a child.
Old 08-17-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Trick 'r Treat.
That would be a great model to follow. Several separate stories that all interconnect as the movie progresses. It worked great for Trick 'r Treat.
Old 08-17-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I like the idea of a new Twilight Zone movie, but only if it is done anthology style as others have mentioned. If they want to do a standalone , they might as well just call it another movie altogether . Planet of the Apes was essentially such a thing, but because it didn't have any TZ frame it was its own series .
Old 06-20-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

‘Twilight Zone’ Movie Finds Writer in Christine Lavaf (EXCLUSIVE)
Dave McNary Film Reporter @Variety_DMcNary
JUNE 20, 2017 | 11:31AM PT

“The Twilight Zone” is gaining momentum at Warner Bros., which has tapped Christine Lavaf to pen the screenplay for the sci-fi tentpole.

Warner has been developing the project since 2009. The last major development came in 2013 with “Oblivion” director Joseph Kosinski in talks to helm the project with Anthony Peckham writing. Previous writers have included Rand Ravich and Joby Harold.

“The Twilight Zone” is set up at Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way where DiCaprio is producing with his partner Jennifer Davisson Killoran.

“The Twilight Zone,” created and hosted by Rod Serling, ran as a series on CBS from 1959 to 1964. The show melded fantasy, science-fiction, and horror elements with Serling serving as the exec producer and writing or co-writing 92 of the show’s 156 episodes along with delivering monologues at the beginning and end of each episode.

John Landis’ 1983 feature “Twilight Zone” had four separate storylines. Warner Bros. has been developing the movie as a project with a single story line.

The TV series was revived on CBS and in syndication in the 1980s. UPN revived the series in 2002-2003.

Lavaf sold three original spec pilots last year including the sc-fi drama “I’Human” at FX with Nina Jacobson’s Color Force producing. She also contributed to the “Godzilla 2” writers’ room for the Legendary-Warner Bros. project.

Lavaf is repped by APA and Nelson Davis LLP.
Old 03-05-18, 12:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Twilight Zone -- new film in development

MeTV to show the hour-long episodes of the original Twilight Zone on Sundays, starting 3/11 and Night Gallery starting 3/5

Check your local listings for exact times.

As we've been discussing here, the idea of a single-story Twilight Zone feature sounds like it would be a padded-out half-hour episode. The original series did go to an hour-long, single-story format in its fourth season.

On the previous page I included a comment by Serling (from Wikipedia's Twilight Zone entry), apparently made when the show was expanding to one hour:
Ours is the perfect half-hour show... If we went to an hour, we'd have to fleshen our stories, soap opera style. Viewers could watch fifteen minutes without knowing whether they were in a Twilight Zone or Desilu Playhouse.
Now, you'll have a chance to see for yourself.

Here's MeTV's promotion for their showing.

When it first premiered in 1959, The Twilight Zone broke the mold, with 30-minute tales of spine-tingling science-fiction and twist endings. In its fourth season, the Rod Serling series broke its own mold. The show expanded to hourlong episodes. Serling, along with master storytellers Charles Beaumont or Richard Matheson largely wrote the longer scripts. Rising actors like Dennis Hopper, Jack Klugman, Julie Newmar and Robert Duvall were cast in teleplays about sunken submarines, doppelganger astronauts and the devil. A new opening sequence was crafted for the season, introducing iconic images now forever associated with the series — an eerie eyeball and an opening door suspended in outer space.

Because of its abnormal runtime, the fourth season of The Twilight Zone is often left out of syndication. Even Netflix skips over the 18 episodes, which have now officially entered the realm of the overlooked.

No longer. In March, season four of The Twilight Zone is coming to MeTV, as part of a new Sunday evening block we dub Sunday Nightmares. Who makes a perfect partner for these chilling episodes? The Master of Suspense himself, Alfred Hitchcock. Add in even more Rod Serling and you have a perfect reason to stay up late. With the lights on.

Here is what's coming to Sunday night on MeTV, beginning on March 11:

Night Gallery
11 PM | 10C and 11:30PM | 10:30C

An anthology series featuring tales of the macabre, each episode of Night Gallery begins with host Rod Serling standing in a creepy art gallery, where he unveils a painting thematically tied to that night's tale. The series features adaptations of classic fiction by authors such as H.P. Lovecraft as well as original scripts, many of which were penned by Serling. A departure from the science fiction that defined Serling's earlier series, The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery keeps its focus on tales of a dark and horrific nature.

The Twilight Zone
12AM | 11C

The aforementioned fourth season episode offer classics like "The Thirty Fathom Grave," "Death Ship" and "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville," as well as "Jess-Belle," a personal favorite of screenwrite Earl Hamner, Jr., creator of The Waltons.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
1AM | 12C and 1:30AM | 12:30C

Hitch himself hosts (and directs a few of) this diabolical collection of 30-minute tales that runs the gamut from crime and mystery to horror and the supernatural. Thieving schemers, murderous spouses and a host of other unsavory characters run amok in nightmarish stories loaded with twists and turns.

Additionally, Night Gallery will air each weekday at 5:30AM | 4:30C, starting on March 5.

Download the complete new schedule here:

EASTERN/PACIFIC
https://metvcdn.metv.com/wnvqS-15190...5-18%20E-P.pdf

or CENTRAL/MOUNTAIN
https://metvcdn.metv.com/WAhv2-15190...5-18%20C-M.pdf
MeTV commenters believe (and fear) Night Gallery will include the series The Sixth Sense, which was part of the original syndication package.

Last edited by digidoh; 03-05-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 02:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

“And fear”? Why?
Old 03-05-18, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
“And fear”? Why?
People in the comments section characterize Sixth Sense as boring and a disappointment, especially when included in the mix with Night Gallery. They'd prefer MeTV omit the Gary Collins series.

https://www.metv.com/stories/metv-ne...day-nightmares