DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — Charlie Day, Idris Elba & Robots (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/595526-pacific-rim-del-toro-2013-%97-charlie-day-idris-elba-robots.html)

The Bus 10-14-11 09:23 AM

Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — Charlie Day, Idris Elba & Robots

Early days yet, but some info:

via <a href="http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/warner-bros-shifts-pacific-rim-release/">Deadline</a>

Warner Bros announced today that it is moving the release date of Legendary Pictures’ big-budget 3D action tent pole Pacific Rim, which Guillermo del Toro is directing. The studio has set its bow for May 10, 2013, staking it at the head of the summer film pack. It had been set for July 12, 2013. Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day and Idris Elba star; del Toro, Mary Parent and Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing. Rim, which begins shooting next month, was written by Travis Beacham and is set in a future where giant malevolent creatures threaten to destroy the earth, and the planet must band together and use advanced weapons technology to eradicate the growing threat.
via <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)#Future_projects">Wiki</a>:

Del Toro described the monsters in the film to be "Huge". The film involves giant monsters traveling through a vortex in the pacific rim where they attack major cities and humans must battle them by using mecha suits called Jaegers. He comments,"This is my most un-modest film, this has everything. The scale is enormous and I'm just a big kid having fun.
The <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/">IMDB</a> page lists other actors, including Dafoe.

Interesting that the four main actors are from TV: Charlie, Stringer Bell, Jax, and Dirt Diver.

Solid Snake 10-14-11 09:52 AM

Re: Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — Charlie Day, Idris Elba & Robots

Much like I've said in the Madness thread...I'm game for this just cuz it'll lead to Madness. Well...that and it's by Del Toro...Del Toro is amazing.

islandclaws 10-14-11 10:15 AM

Del Toro making his own kaiju film?

:drool:

Tarantino 10-18-11 11:49 PM

I don't give a shit what it's about...Hunnam, Day, Elba & Del Toro? Fuck yeah.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

RocShemp 10-19-11 06:43 AM

Even though Universal pushed Del Toro into making this instead of the movie he really wanted to make, I wanna see it cos it's Del Toro. Elba and Dafoe make it all the better.

RichC2 10-19-11 07:50 AM

Charlie Day seems like an odd choice for anything that isn't a straight up comedy. Him + Del Toro intrigues me. The fact Idris Elba is there will probably balance it out.

Groucho 10-19-11 08:07 AM

Looks like Charlie Day is going to branch out. I hope he plays it totally straight until the last 30 minutes, when he does something crazy and suddenly shouts "Wildcard, bitches!"

RichC2 10-19-11 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10970775)
Looks like Charlie Day is going to branch out. I hope he plays it totally straight until the last 30 minutes, when he does something crazy and suddenly shouts "Wildcard, bitches!"

:up:

PopcornBandit 10-19-11 10:20 AM

Well, I'm officially psyched. I wish it was coming out sooner though.

PopcornBandit 11-16-11 05:10 PM

Ron Perlman joins the cast. From Bloody-Disgusting.com:

Mexican director Guillermo del Toro is about to embark on his largest endeavor of his career - literally and figuratively. Del Toro is back behind the camera (as of Monday) for Pacific Rim, a giant monster vs robot movie that will star Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Rob Kazinsky, and now Ron Perlman. Perlman has starred in del Toro's Hellboy, Hellboy II, Blade II and Cronos.

In speaking with Wired, he also revealed his intent for Legendary and Warner Bros. Pictures' enormous battle -- to make it completely realistic: "It’s really, it’s a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots. Twenty-five-story-high robots beating the crap out of 25-story-high monsters," said del Toro. "We’re trying to create a world in which the characters are real and how it would affect our world politically, how it would affect the landscape if creatures like this really came out of the sea, etc."

In theaters May 10, 2013, the pic is set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace.

Even more psyched now!

Mr. Cinema 11-16-11 05:49 PM

Even with no big name leads, I wonder what the budget for this will be, considering it features giant monsters and giant robots.

Solid Snake 11-16-11 07:26 PM

Well...I hope see Ron Perlman being badass. Love his work w/ Del Toro.

JumpCutz 11-16-11 11:10 PM

It's going to a loooong 18 months. :sad:

islandclaws 11-17-11 11:11 AM

I'm trying to temper my expectations here because the premise sounds SO FUCKING AWESOME.

RocShemp 11-17-11 11:36 AM

I was in before Perlman. Now I'm so damn excited about this. :up:

If this is indeed awesome (and a hit), I wonder if Paramount would ask him to take over the Transformers franchise. Because comments like "We’re trying to create a world in which the characters are real and how it would affect our world politically, how it would affect the landscape if creatures like this really came out of the sea, etc." sound like what a lot of fans wanted from the TF flicks.

Solid Snake 11-17-11 02:21 PM

....as interesting as that is...I don't think they'd give it to GDT. And yeah...fans wanted something like you quoted in your post..we...we didn't get anything that had any impact. We just got fluff. At times enjoyable..but still...fluff.

Dr. DVD 11-17-11 04:50 PM

I was skeptical at first, but now knowing that this is going to be more or less a kaiju film has me greatly interested. I am guessing it will be along the lines of Ultraman, which has potential in the hands of the right director (read: Del Toro).

islandclaws 02-21-12 04:35 PM

From Shock Till You Drop:

Two of the busiest guys in town, Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan, did a bit of script work on Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim. The duo landed on the genre scene with Feast and went on to script multiple Saw sequels and the upcoming Piranha 3DD, among other projects.

Pacific Rim is currently shooting up in Toronto with a cast that includes Sons of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Charlie Day, Rinko Kikuchi, Max Martini, Rob Kazinsky, Clifton Collins Jr. and Diego Klattenhoff. Originally scripted by Travis Beacham, the story is an epic humans-versus-giant-monsters tale.

In an interview with FEARnet, Melton said:

"It is going to kick major ass. It's giant monsters versus giant robots, and Guillermo del Toro is the only person who could bring it to you. That was an amazing experience, because we read the script, and so we went in knowing what the producers and studio wanted us to do; and we went in and met Guillermo, and he started showing us the tests by ILM. They were just mind-blowing. I think they'll probably show something at Comic-Con 2012. Because they should be done by then, or close to done by then. I'm telling you, it's gonna rule Hall H when Guillermo, the king of geeks, comes out and shows some of the stuff he's shot. People are gonna be blow away."

He went on to add:

"This is a PG movie. Most of his stuff is pretty edgy, for the most part. Nothing below PG-13 that I can think of. So this is his sort of four-quadrant movie. But it's got all the traits of a Guillermo movie, with the monsters and the younger characters and the things that go bump in the night… It's pretty great."

Pacific Rim is due in theaters July 12, 2013.

I didn't think this would be rated R, but PG? Let's hope that gets bumped up before next year. I'm also concerned that either of these two guys was let near the script.

Dr. DVD 02-21-12 04:46 PM

I have a feeling that the studio will actually try to do something to bump it up to a PG-13, as PG is now perceived as being "kid" stuff by the teen crowd, which this movie will need to be a hit. Maybe add a swear word in at some point.

TomOpus 02-21-12 05:03 PM

Damn, how did I miss this thread?

Anywho, I'm all over this. I love del Toro. While I was talking to him at Comic-Con about "The Devil's Backbone" DVD he had to break away to speak to a reporter w/cameraman in tow. He told me to wait and he actually came back after the interview so we could continue our discussion. Super nice guy and I really enjoy his movies too.

I DO have a hard time seeing him trying to keep this below a PG-13. Might be contractual. But, if he does, it should be a very cool PG-rated movie. I would imagine there might be more added to the video release.

Doctor Gonzo 02-21-12 07:03 PM

http://blog.80millionmoviesfree.com/...-rim-movie.jpg

Supermallet 02-21-12 07:13 PM

A college buddy of mine wrote this, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Deftones 02-21-12 07:42 PM

Max Martini? Cool

Ravenous 02-21-12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 11124277)
Damn, how did I miss this thread?

Anywho, I'm all over this. I love del Toro. While I was talking to him at Comic-Con about "The Devil's Backbone" DVD he had to break away to speak to a reporter w/cameraman in tow. He told me to wait and he actually came back after the interview so we could continue our discussion. Super nice guy and I really enjoy his movies too.

I DO have a hard time seeing him trying to keep this below a PG-13. Might be contractual. But, if he does, it should be a very cool PG-rated movie. I would imagine there might be more added to the video release.

That is awesome to hear :up: I always thought he was a class act and glad to see it so.

Is this Del Toros next project? After dropping the Hobbit, I thought he would have something coming out soon.

Artman 02-21-12 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11124404)
A college buddy of mine wrote this, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

A former co-worker of mine might've done some concept art for it (he's kept it under wraps)... very much looking forward to this one.

I think the PG comment was meant as "under R." The film will of course be PG-13.