Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Old 10-08-11, 11:38 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 38,658
Received 998 Likes on 722 Posts
Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Dr. Seuss biopic planned

While he's once again slipping into the skin of a hard-drinking, hard-charging and foul mouthed writer in a major motion picture this fall, Johnny Depp's next shot at bringing a beloved author to the big screen will be a whole different story.

Starring as Hunter S. Thompson in November's "The Rum Diary," The Hollywood Reporter relays that Depp and his production company are developing a live-action film about the life of Dr. Seuss. Depp has the option to star as the famed author, who, real name Theodor Geisel, penned some of the world's most famous children's books, including "The Cat In The Hat," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!," and "Green Eggs and Ham."

Depp has also played J.M. Barrie, who wrote "Peter Pan," in "Finding Neverland." He has a strong history with bringing to life children's books, starring both as Willy Wonka in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and The Mad Hatter in "Alice in Wonderland."

Aside from their famed TV specials, a number of Seuss's books have been made into feature films over the last decade or so. Jim Carrey starred in 2000 in a live-action "How The Grinch Stole Christmas," which opened to mixed reviews but earned $345 million worldwide. Mike Myers' 2003 version of "The Cat In The Hat" did not fare so well, taking in only $133 million, while the animated "Horton Hears A Who" netted $298 million in 2008.

Depp is currently filming an adaptation of the 60s supernatural soap opera, "Dark Shadows," and will also feature in another literary adaptation, Dashiell Hammett's "The Thin Man."
Old 10-08-11, 11:43 AM
  #2  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,733
Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

I'm fine with this as long as Tim Burton has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-08-11, 01:48 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,697
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
I'm fine with this as long as Tim Burton has nothing to do with it.
Hopefully since I believe Tim is doing Dark Shadows (not sure how I feel about that), they shouldn't be partnering up for at least a few more years. Doesn't really matter, though, his kids films outside of Pirates, really aren't that great.
Old 10-08-11, 02:18 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,137
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

I think he's definitely the person to play the role. If it's straightforward without too much fantasy, it should be fine. I think Terry Gilliam would be a good choice to direct.
Old 10-08-11, 02:48 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,923
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I think he's definitely the person to play the role. If it's straightforward without too much fantasy, it should be fine. I think Terry Gilliam would be a good choice to direct.
I so disagree, if it's just another straight forward biopic like Finding Neverland I'd hate it, something really abstract like I'm Not There / Fear and Loathing would be right for it, I mean this is the docta we speak of.
Old 10-08-11, 03:22 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by CloverClover View Post
I so disagree, if it's just another straight forward biopic like Finding Neverland I'd hate it, something really abstract like I'm Not There / Fear and Loathing would be right for it, I mean this is the docta we speak of.
Exactly.

And please no Gilliam.
Old 10-08-11, 03:59 PM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Why? Gilliam is awesome. THOUGH if Gilliam was involved..it'd probably be a disaster of a production somehow.
Old 10-08-11, 04:11 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,503
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Great, another excuse for Depp to act like a maniac. At least there won't be makeup involved...hopefully.
Old 10-08-11, 05:31 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Why? Gilliam is awesome. THOUGH if Gilliam was involved..it'd probably be a disaster of a production somehow.
Gilliam is not awesome. I think people like the idea of Gilliam's movies moreso than the actual finished films.
Old 10-08-11, 05:55 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Gilliam is not awesome.
Gilliam directed Brazil. THAT alone makes him awesome.
Old 10-08-11, 06:00 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,946
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

I hope Elfman does the music!
Old 10-09-11, 10:28 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 11,571
Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Burton/Gilliam/Bob from down the street, I'll actually watch it first before I pass judgement.
Old 10-09-11, 11:59 AM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Gilliam is not awesome. I think people like the idea of Gilliam's movies moreso than the actual finished films.
Brazil and Baron Munchausen are great to name a couple. Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, and 12 monkeys are also solid.
Old 10-09-11, 12:12 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Do we just assume that Depp is the right guy to play him? He looks nothing like him, although that probably doesn't matter because most people don't know what he looked like anyway.

BTW, there's a 9-part documentary about Seuss you can watch on YouTube. I hope they don't shy away from showing his WWII cartoons in the movie.
Old 10-09-11, 01:02 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 38,658
Received 998 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Do we just assume that Depp is the right guy to play him? He looks nothing like him, although that probably doesn't matter because most people don't know what he looked like anyway.

BTW, there's a 9-part documentary about Seuss you can watch on YouTube. I hope they don't shy away from showing his WWII cartoons in the movie.
Since he has the option, it would be nice if he thought of the film first before his own desire to play the role. And it would be very cool if they showed his participation in the war effort.
Old 10-09-11, 06:19 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,382
Received 198 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

I'd much rather see some decent 2-D animated cartoons based on some of Seuss's books, e.g. The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins , And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, and If I Ran the Circus.
Old 10-09-11, 07:08 PM
  #17  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Gilliam is not awesome. I think people like the idea of Gilliam's movies moreso than the actual finished films.
That's an odd thing to think, especially since there are many people here alone who could tell you they like the finished products as well as the ideas behind them. Gilliam is a unique and driven director who has gotten great performances from his actors, presented us with surprising worlds and visions, and is willing to experiment. Not every one of his experiments succeeds wildly, but I'm always interested to see what he'll do next.
Old 10-09-11, 08:27 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That's an odd thing to think, especially since there are many people here alone who could tell you they like the finished products as well as the ideas behind them. Gilliam is a unique and driven director who has gotten great performances from his actors, presented us with surprising worlds and visions, and is willing to experiment. Not every one of his experiments succeeds wildly, but I'm always interested to see what he'll do next.
I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people rave about his films. They just don't work for me.
Old 10-10-11, 09:22 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Brazil and Baron Munchausen are great to name a couple. Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, and 12 monkeys are also solid.
Although not perfect, IMO Tideland was also great.
Old 10-10-11, 10:02 AM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people rave about his films. They just don't work for me.
They don't have to work for you to recognize the quality of work in them.


on Tideland...I honestly don't know wtf to think of it. Not sure if I like it or I don't. Quality work in there though..just don't know if it "get it" yet. I THINK that I did..but I dunno...it was a weird thing to see. Good features on the DVD though. So weird about the OAR controversy as well.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.