DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/595347-johnny-depp-developing-dr-seuss-biopic.html)

TomOpus 10-08-11 10:38 AM

Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

Dr. Seuss biopic planned

While he's once again slipping into the skin of a hard-drinking, hard-charging and foul mouthed writer in a major motion picture this fall, Johnny Depp's next shot at bringing a beloved author to the big screen will be a whole different story.

Starring as Hunter S. Thompson in November's "The Rum Diary," The Hollywood Reporter relays that Depp and his production company are developing a live-action film about the life of Dr. Seuss. Depp has the option to star as the famed author, who, real name Theodor Geisel, penned some of the world's most famous children's books, including "The Cat In The Hat," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!," and "Green Eggs and Ham."

Depp has also played J.M. Barrie, who wrote "Peter Pan," in "Finding Neverland." He has a strong history with bringing to life children's books, starring both as Willy Wonka in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and The Mad Hatter in "Alice in Wonderland."

Aside from their famed TV specials, a number of Seuss's books have been made into feature films over the last decade or so. Jim Carrey starred in 2000 in a live-action "How The Grinch Stole Christmas," which opened to mixed reviews but earned $345 million worldwide. Mike Myers' 2003 version of "The Cat In The Hat" did not fare so well, taking in only $133 million, while the animated "Horton Hears A Who" netted $298 million in 2008.

Depp is currently filming an adaptation of the 60s supernatural soap opera, "Dark Shadows," and will also feature in another literary adaptation, Dashiell Hammett's "The Thin Man."

TGM 10-08-11 10:43 AM

Re: Johnny Depp is developing a Dr. Seuss biopic

I'm fine with this as long as Tim Burton has nothing to do with it.

jacob_b 10-08-11 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 10956847)
I'm fine with this as long as Tim Burton has nothing to do with it.

Hopefully since I believe Tim is doing Dark Shadows (not sure how I feel about that), they shouldn't be partnering up for at least a few more years. Doesn't really matter, though, his kids films outside of Pirates, really aren't that great.

Dr. DVD 10-08-11 01:18 PM

I think he's definitely the person to play the role. If it's straightforward without too much fantasy, it should be fine. I think Terry Gilliam would be a good choice to direct.

CloverClover 10-08-11 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 10956976)
I think he's definitely the person to play the role. If it's straightforward without too much fantasy, it should be fine. I think Terry Gilliam would be a good choice to direct.

I so disagree, if it's just another straight forward biopic like Finding Neverland I'd hate it, something really abstract like I'm Not There / Fear and Loathing would be right for it, I mean this is the docta we speak of.

PopcornTreeCt 10-08-11 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by CloverClover (Post 10956996)
I so disagree, if it's just another straight forward biopic like Finding Neverland I'd hate it, something really abstract like I'm Not There / Fear and Loathing would be right for it, I mean this is the docta we speak of.

Exactly.

And please no Gilliam.

Solid Snake 10-08-11 02:59 PM

Why? Gilliam is awesome. THOUGH if Gilliam was involved..it'd probably be a disaster of a production somehow.

Dragon Tattoo 10-08-11 03:11 PM

Great, another excuse for Depp to act like a maniac. At least there won't be makeup involved...hopefully.

PopcornTreeCt 10-08-11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10957066)
Why? Gilliam is awesome. THOUGH if Gilliam was involved..it'd probably be a disaster of a production somehow.

Gilliam is not awesome. I think people like the idea of Gilliam's movies moreso than the actual finished films.

JumpCutz 10-08-11 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10957150)
Gilliam is not awesome.

Gilliam directed Brazil. THAT alone makes him awesome.

Dr Mabuse 10-08-11 05:00 PM

I hope Elfman does the music!

rexinnih 10-09-11 09:28 AM

Burton/Gilliam/Bob from down the street, I'll actually watch it first before I pass judgement.

Solid Snake 10-09-11 10:59 AM

Gilliam is not awesome. I think people like the idea of Gilliam's movies moreso than the actual finished films.

Brazil and Baron Munchausen are great to name a couple. Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, and 12 monkeys are also solid.

Drexl 10-09-11 11:12 AM

Do we just assume that Depp is the right guy to play him? He looks nothing like him, although that probably doesn't matter because most people don't know what he looked like anyway.

BTW, there's a 9-part documentary about Seuss you can watch on YouTube. I hope they don't shy away from showing his WWII cartoons in the movie.

TomOpus 10-09-11 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10957783)
Do we just assume that Depp is the right guy to play him? He looks nothing like him, although that probably doesn't matter because most people don't know what he looked like anyway.

BTW, there's a 9-part documentary about Seuss you can watch on YouTube. I hope they don't shy away from showing his WWII cartoons in the movie.

Since he has the option, it would be nice if he thought of the film first before his own desire to play the role. And it would be very cool if they showed his participation in the war effort.

Ash Ketchum 10-09-11 05:19 PM

I'd much rather see some decent 2-D animated cartoons based on some of Seuss's books, e.g. The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins , And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, and If I Ran the Circus.

Supermallet 10-09-11 06:08 PM

That's an odd thing to think, especially since there are many people here alone who could tell you they like the finished products as well as the ideas behind them. Gilliam is a unique and driven director who has gotten great performances from his actors, presented us with surprising worlds and visions, and is willing to experiment. Not every one of his experiments succeeds wildly, but I'm always interested to see what he'll do next.

PopcornTreeCt 10-09-11 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 10958547)
That's an odd thing to think, especially since there are many people here alone who could tell you they like the finished products as well as the ideas behind them. Gilliam is a unique and driven director who has gotten great performances from his actors, presented us with surprising worlds and visions, and is willing to experiment. Not every one of his experiments succeeds wildly, but I'm always interested to see what he'll do next.

I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people rave about his films. They just don't work for me.

inri222 10-10-11 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10957775)
Brazil and Baron Munchausen are great to name a couple. Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, and 12 monkeys are also solid.

Although not perfect, IMO Tideland was also great.

Solid Snake 10-10-11 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10958622)
I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people rave about his films. They just don't work for me.

They don't have to work for you to recognize the quality of work in them.

on Tideland...I honestly don't know wtf to think of it. Not sure if I like it or I don't. Quality work in there though..just don't know if it "get it" yet. I THINK that I did..but I dunno...it was a weird thing to see. Good features on the DVD though. So weird about the OAR controversy as well.