Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

24: The Movie -- Star: Kiefer Sutherland - Rumors, news, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

24: The Movie -- Star: Kiefer Sutherland - Rumors, news, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
24 Movie Gets Put on Hold

With all the work the writers of Fox’s hit thriller/drama "24" are doing to pull together the end of the season in their usual hyper-suspenseful, super-action-packed fashion, it’s no surprise that Kiefer Sutherland was talking about the planned "24" movie being put off until next year so the show’s team of writers could take a proper crack at bringing the series to the big screen. Well, it was just talk and a concern just a short while ago, but as Day Six hurdles towards its final hours, the U.K. site Digital Spy (the film is supposedly going to be set in Britain) has reported that Sutherland announced the indefinite suspension of plans to make the movie this summer.

The strain on the writers to pull together the last harried and stressful hours of the day is just too great, apparently, to risk the feature film suffering because the script was thrown together in a frenzy to get the movie made. Jack Bauer is always rushed, but his big screen debut shouldn’t be. This certainly seems wise, and since Sutherland has made allusions to next summer being the fallback in case of a postponement, it’s likely to not be a discouraging delay that could drag out for years, but only a short-term one that would set the film back a year or two, as opposed to a decade (as happens with some movies we all cling to hopes of seeing one day when they finally get gears in motion).

MOVIESONLINE.ca
Old 04-10-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Good. Hopefully they will focus on making the movie better than this crappy season.
Old 04-11-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
That's very strange because I read in Entertainment Weekly prior to Day 6 starting that Joel Surnow and Bob Cochran and Howard Gordon already completed the script.

I think the problem is the window to shoot the movie and prep the next season of the show is so small that it would be a logistical nightmare.

Ex: If the show wraps production in late April/Early May, Kiefer and company have to fly off their location and have a near perfect 3 month shoot because the following season would begin production in late July.

Plus, you have to post the movie while the season is being shot.
Old 04-12-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is no suprise. should be interesting on the big screen.
Old 04-12-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Can't wait. I wonder if Jack Bauer swears alot?
Old 04-12-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Can't wait. I wonder if Jack Bauer swears alot?
He did drop an F-bomb in the mini-episode that took place between seasons 3 and 4 on the season 3 dvd set.
Old 04-12-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
I think they should push for an R to make the violence more intense than whats on the show.
Old 04-12-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres a question (not a thread crap) will people actually go and see this movie?
'24's' ratings have declined this year (along with Lost) so will the movie even make a decent amount of money?
I hope they make the movie for the fans but it would make more sense to wait ti'll the show is over and then have the movie as a giant series finale, or even a 3 hr series finale on FOX.
Old 02-09-10, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk God

FOX hires Billy Ray (State of Play, Breach) to write 24: The Movie

The movie has been talked about from the last 3-4 years. As a fan of the show, I'm excited about this news and making it potentially into an international thriller with Europe as the backdrop. I think it's a smart idea for FOX to give the feature film a fresh perspective from someone who isn't currently on the writing staff of the show. I really liked State of Play and Breach and think Ray is a very credible screenwriter to hire.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Twentieth Century Fox's film and TV studios are conspiring to finally bring hit television series "24" to the bigscreen.
The film side has hired scribe Billy Ray ("State of Play," "Flightplan") to pen the script for the feature version.

Ray's pitch, which takes Jack Bauer to Europe, was a hit with Fox execs and producers of the high-concept television series.

Ray also wrote and directed "Breach" and "Shattered Glass."

Script is said to have come through "24" star Kiefer Sutherland, who's also an exec producer on the series -- and is said to be eager to turn the long-running TV skein into a feature franchise.

Feature would be produced by the TV show's key exec producers, including Sutherland. Series was created by Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow, while exec producer Howard Gordon runs the show through his Real Time Prods. banner.

Brian Grazer's Imagine Entertainment, which produces the show along with 20th Century Fox TV, also would be involved.

Insiders cautioned that a "24" feature is still very much in the preliminary stages. There are a number of factors influencing how quickly it moves ahead, including the fate of the TV show.

Fox doesn't have a deal for a ninth season of "24" and hasn't yet decided whether to order another season. Insiders said the network is waiting to see this week's ratings before making a decision, but the betting is that this season will be the final one.

Even if Fox winds up passing on another year of "24," 20th Century Fox TV could shop the show to other nets. In that case, a feature might have to take a back seat.

The series' producers have been kicking around the possibility of a feature adaptation for several years and came close to moving ahead on one several years ago.

But the prospect of shooting a film while the show was still on the air was daunting for the cast and producers. Critics and fans of "24" have always enthused about how the show is produced like a feature -- and the film studio would want to move most of the "24" series crew to work on the film. That's difficult to do while "24" is in production, and hiatuses aren't nearly long enough to shoot a movie.

The show's producers did take advantage of the writers strike to make a TV movie, however: "24: Redemption," which aired prior to the show's seventh season in 2008, was nominated for five Emmys.

The allure of spinning a popular TV series into a bigscreen film is hard to ignore for studio execs, since there is a built-in audience and brand awareness; "24" has also been a mammoth hit for the studio in foreign markets, which suggests that a feature adaptation would travel well.

Fox saw big rewards from turning TV toon "The Simpsons" into a feature film. In 2007, "The Simpsons" grossed $183.1 million domestically and $343.9 million overseas for a worldwide cume of $527.1 million.

Studio saw strong returns when adapting TV series "The X-Files." Feature film "The X-Files," released in 1998 when the show was still on the air, grossed $83.9 million at the domestic B.O. and $105.3 million overseas for a total cume of $189.2 million.

The second outing wasn't nearly as successful, however. "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," released in 2008, six years after the series went off the air, grossed just $68.4 million worldwide.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-09-10 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: FOX hires Billy Ray (State of Play, Breach) to write 24: The Movie

If Season 8 ends up being the final season. I could see this going into production later this year or early next year. Maybe this could be a Summer or Fall 2011 release in time for the 10th Anniversary of the show.
Old 02-09-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It'll probably be better than this season.............
Old 02-09-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please do it without CTU involved at all!
Old 02-09-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

CTU or no, they better have no cougar subplots.
Old 02-09-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

If it's taking place in Europe, I don't see how CTU will be involved at all.
Old 02-09-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
If it's taking place in Europe, I don't see how CTU will be involved at all.
Calling CTU asking for information about certain people.

Then, up pops a CTU mole.
Old 02-09-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd love a prequel so that we can see some of the great "24" characters again, but between father time and the lack of suspense, that may not be realistic.
Old 02-09-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I'd love a prequel so that we can see some of the great "24" characters again, but between father time and the lack of suspense, that may not be realistic.
Prequel would never happen. Kiefer is 44 now and looks alot different than he did at 35 when the show 1st started.

An episode of 24 costs roughly $3.5 to 4M for roughly 44 minutes of TV and looks almost feature film quality. Could you imagine what they could do with a $50-70M budget for a 2 hour flick. I'm interested in Jack Bauer shooting and blowing up shit in London or Berlin as opposed to LA or NY.
Old 02-09-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Shouldn't it be called "2" instead?
Old 01-02-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

24 Movie in Jeopardy After Fox Passes on ScriptTV Guide - January 1, 2011 3:34 PM PST

It looks like Jack Bauer's road to the big screen has just hit a major speed bump.

Fox has axed the script from Billy Ray (State of Play) for a big-screen adaptation of 24, Entertainment Weekly reports.

Will 24 end up on the big screen?

"As far as I know,it is in suspended animation,"series executive producer Howard Gordon told the magazine."There is talk about re-approaching it.I understand (director) Tony Scott is meeting with Kiefer [Sutherland] to talk about ideas. People are still talking about it."

The 24 film, announced in March, planned to pick up the story sometime after the Fox drama's series finale. 24 wrapped in May after eight years.

Star Kiefer Sutherland expressed his excitement about keeping the franchise alive in the announcement regarding the show's cancelation in March. The film would have taken Jack Bauer to Europe and would revolve more around Bauer than the CTU offices, according to Variety.

Despite the recent setback, Gordon remains optimistic about 24's big-screen ambitions.

"I was disappointed [Fox] passed on the script but I'm certainly hopeful that the movie will get made at some point," Gordon said. "Anecdotally, I've heard from people who are really missing the show and I do think there is more life in Jack Bauer."
Old 01-02-11, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noooooooo!
Old 01-02-11, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk God

This news is actually 3 weeks old. Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide were a little late in the game. Howard Gordon posted this news on his Twitter page.

You know, if Billy Ray's script sucked, then I'm glad that FOX passed on it. If your going to invest $50-100M in making a 24 movie, you better have a damn good script. The positive I do see in this is Tony Scott being involved with the project now. Now that they have to start from scratch, I can't see this movie coming out any sooner than Fall/Winter 2012.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-02-11 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-02-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Tony Scott is meeting with Kiefer [Sutherland] to talk about ideas.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Noooooooo!

Noooooooo!
Old 01-02-11, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You know, if Billy Ray's script sucked, then I'm glad that FOX passed on it. I
While I see your "if", there's nothing to suggest Billy Ray's script sucked, just that it wasn't the 24 film Fox wanted to make. And while it's cynical, given Fox's event film choices, I'd bet that Ray's screenplay simply wasn't simple and broad enough to be deemed commercial.
Old 01-02-11, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Based on Ray's previous works (I haven't seen most, Color of Night was terrible but I always liked Breach and Shattered Glass), I would guess it was less action oriented than Fox would like.
Old 01-02-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
Tony Scott is meeting with Kiefer [Sutherland] to talk about ideas.
Ideas like replacing Kiefer with Denzel?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.