DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   'Finding Nemo' 'Monsters, Inc.', 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Beauty and the Beast in 3D (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/595210-finding-nemo-monsters-inc-little-mermaid-beauty-beast-3d.html)

Giles 10-04-11 04:18 PM

'Finding Nemo' 'Monsters, Inc.', 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Beauty and the Beast in 3D

from Blu-ray.com / by Matthew Smith:

Disney to Re-release Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc., The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast in 3D

With the $80 million domestic box office success of The Lion King 3D still fresh in people's minds, Disney announced today plans to bring four more catalog titles back to theaters in Disney Digital 3D. The animated films lined up for limited theatrical engagements include the already announced Beauty and the Beast, the 1989 classic The Little Mermaid and two Pixar favorites, Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo.

First up will be Beauty and the Beast, which has been scheduled for a early 2012 release on January 13th. This will be followed by Finding Nemo, which will see a September 14th re-release. Hopefully this announcement precedes one for the release of Finding Nemo on Blu-ray, as it is currently the only Pixar film that has not been released on the format.

Monsters, Inc. has been slated for January 18th, 2013 (about six months before its prequel, Monsters University hits theaters). The last confirmed re-release is the Disney animated classic The Little Mermaid, which has been scheduled for a September 13th, 2013 opening.

Alan Bergman, President of the Walt Disney Studios, issued a statement saying, "Great stories and great characters are timeless, and at Disney we're fortunate to have a treasure trove of both. We're thrilled to give audiences of all ages the chance to experience these beloved tales in an exciting new way with 3D – and in the case of younger generations, for the first time on the big screen."

Solid Snake 10-04-11 04:22 PM

Re: 'Finding Nemo' 'Monsters, Inc.', 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Beauty and the Beast i

gotta admit..it's a smart business move.

islandclaws 10-04-11 05:15 PM

Re: 'Finding Nemo' 'Monsters, Inc.', 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Beauty and the Beast i

I wish Lion King 3D had tanked.

GoldenJCJ 10-04-11 05:32 PM

I'm not a big fan of 3D but I have to admit Finding Nemo in 3D would look pretty damn cool. Cgi flicks are about the only thing that look decent in 3D anyway.

Michael Corvin 10-04-11 05:33 PM

If it's worth doing once, it's worth running into the ground.

CharlieK 10-04-11 06:54 PM

All those 3D penises in 'Mermaid' are going to look awesome.

Drexl 10-04-11 07:17 PM

Naturally, they're releasing all of their big comeback films (1989-94) except my favorite of the group, Aladdin.

sauce07 10-04-11 07:26 PM

Can't wait for the 3D rerelease of Home on the Range.

Seriously, what are the chances they do this to some of the true classics like Sleeping Beauty which already have so much depth?

Daytripper 10-04-11 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 10951786)
Can't wait for the 3D rerelease of Home on the Range.

Seriously, what are the chances they do this to some of the true classics like Sleeping Beauty which already have so much depth?

Probably will never happen. But damn it, wouldn't that look amazing!!!

RocShemp 10-04-11 07:43 PM

Isn't Beauty and the Beast pointless since it just got released in 3D on BD? I'm sure some would like to see it again in theaters but not so much for the novelty of 3D, given they can already watch it that way at home.

Drexl 10-04-11 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10951812)
Isn't Beauty and the Beast pointless since it just got released in 3D on BD? I'm sure some would like to see it again in theaters but not so much for the novelty of 3D, given they can already watch it that way at home.

Many people don't have the equipment though.

RocShemp 10-04-11 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10951813)
Many people don't have the equipment though.

Good point.

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10951776)
Naturally, they're releasing all of their big comeback films (1989-94) except my favorite of the group, Aladdin.

Gotta admit, the carpet rides would look pretty darn sweet in 3D. :up:

Giles 10-04-11 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10951776)

not only would Aladdin would look great, but I hope when the bluray (or the theatrical rerelease) happens the soundmix would be remixed in 7.1 - :rock2:

Jon2 10-04-11 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10951653)
I wish Lion King 3D had tanked.

I'm as big a fan of 3D films as you'll find and I have to agree with this. I haven't seen LK 3D and have no intention of doing so, ever. I'll reserve judgement on a film by film basis (based on previews) for any other 2D to 3D conversions Disney does, but I doubt I'll change my mind. If the way LK 3D looked is what Disney is striving for in 2D to 3D conversion, I'll pass.

My wife and I saw the Lion King preview with Cars 2 in 3D. Hideous doesn't begin to describe it... the LK preview I mean, not Cars 2. We enjoyed Cars 2.

It was so visually disturbing, I can't imagine what it would be like to watch the entire film. Just the little I saw in the preview started to give me a headache and I've never had a problem with any other 3D film.

I have a ViewMaster and several slide sets from when I was a kid (1960s), and I would have had less of a issue had it looked like a "ViewMaster presentation" where each entire object exists on its own separate plane. That might have looked interesting. However, when parts of a character's anatomy appear to drift or float off on another visual plane, it just looks wrong. Eye wrenching is the word that comes to mind.

Hokeyboy 10-10-11 12:06 PM

I saw Lion King 3D. It was fine and dandy but wholly unnecessary. I did enjoy viewing it on the big screen though.

I still don't see what people have against it though, or about other 3D re-releases. :shrug: The 2D film is there, it exists, and it's not going anywhere.

Peep 10-10-11 04:20 PM

I haven't seen LK 3D, but I'm curious as to how people think it compares to the "Nightmare Before Christmas" 3D conversion, which I've seen a couple of times and enjoyed.

I agree that converting a Pixer (or CGI animated film) probably yields a much better result.

Hokeyboy 10-10-11 07:11 PM

^I've seen both. Nightmare Before Christmas was infinitely better in terms of 3D presentation, but that's to be expected. There wasn't much bonus or added immersion from Lion King 3D.

Michael Corvin 01-12-12 07:04 AM

So, anyone checking out B&tB this weekend?

I want to take my girls since we had a great time at The Lion King (2D), but I'm still on the fence for the 3D. They're offering kids sized glasses now which was a big factor for us before, but the extra cost is still a thorn in my side.

RocShemp 01-12-12 07:27 AM

I may go see it, if only for the Tangled short.

Michael Corvin 01-12-12 07:54 AM

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Definitely a plus in my book.

Bandit03 01-12-12 08:16 AM

Think I may go see Beauty and the Beast this weekend...wasn't super impressed with the 3D in Lion King but what the hell lol

Deftones 01-12-12 08:23 AM

I'm waiting for Monster's Inc to come back. Hopefully my kid will be old enough to be able to wear the glasses by then.

Obi-Wanma 01-12-12 10:17 AM

I was interested to try and take my girls if there was a 2D showing, but it appears there's not, and I think they are too young for the glasses. Even if they fit, I can't imagine them keeping them on for the full length of the film.

Michael Corvin 01-12-12 10:22 AM

They are doing 2D showings as well.

Obi-Wanma 01-12-12 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11073355)
They are doing 2D showings as well.

I looked at showtimes for several theaters in my area earlier this week, and they didn't have any.