Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception, Star Trek and Fast Five return to IMAX screens this week at AMC theatres.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inception, Star Trek and Fast Five return to IMAX screens this week at AMC theatres.

Old 09-30-11, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This week, most AMCs with IMAX screens (the digital ones that fit in a multiplex, not the supermassive 15/70 IMAX screens) are bringing back Inception, Star Trek (2009) and Fast Five.

Two nice things about this - one, the schedules rotate day to day, so if you really wanted to see Inception but couldn't make it out at 1pm, that's fine, because it'll be at 4pm the next day, 7pm the next and so on. The other thing is that the prices on any of the three films mentioned at any time are $7.00 flat. Most IMAX movies have just a surcharge of nearly that much.

I hope this is indicative of future efforts when the IMAX flicks are in a lull. I'm not as much of a fan of the digital re-releases of stuff like Top Gun because Sony projectors are just too dark. The IMAX Christies, however, I love, and I'd think it gorgeous if I got to see some older, pre-IMAX films on there. The three films being brought back were already released in IMAX.
Old 09-30-11, 08:25 AM

Re: Inception, Star Trek and Fast Five return to IMAX screens this week at AMC theatr

I'd definitely see Star Trek again on the IMAX screen.
Old 09-30-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Inception, Star Trek and Fast Five return to IMAX screens this week at AMC theatr

Inception's video seemed soft in IMAX but the sound definitely made up for that. Star Trek was fantastic in it.
Old 09-30-11, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Inception's video seemed soft in IMAX but the sound definitely made up for that. Star Trek was fantastic in it.
in 15/70 film yes. But in IMAX-Digital, it was vastly sharper.

I'm glad the tix are 7 bucks, Regal Majestic IMAX prices are insanely expensive close to 18 bucks, now I check it out there instead of trekking (harhar) out to Tysons... oops, Regal are being assholes and not participating in the 7 dollar deal.

Last edited by Giles; 09-30-11 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it twice in IMAX-Digital and it looked soft both times, not comparing against the film on standard but against other films I've seen in IMAX digital.

Still, worth it for the audio alone.
Old 09-30-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm. I never thought Inception looked soft in digital IMAX, and I saw it a couple of times. Oh, those alps scenes! Methinks a projection skipped the daily projector calibration.
Old 09-30-11, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I saw it twice in IMAX-Digital and it looked soft both times, not comparing against the film on standard but against other films I've seen in IMAX digital.

Still, worth it for the audio alone.
at two different theaters? Given that Nolan shot some scenes in 65mm - Inception should have looked pretty sharp. When I saw the film at Udvar Hazy in film form, I was really surprised and annoyed that 'Inception' looked that grainy and soft for an IMAX release - 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' I saw in 15/70 was by far the worst looking DMR'd IMAX release.
Old 09-30-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
at two different theaters? Given that Nolan shot some scenes in 65mm - Inception should have looked pretty sharp. When I saw the film at Udvar Hazy in film form, I was really surprised and annoyed that 'Inception' looked that grainy and soft for an IMAX release - 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' I saw in 15/70 was by far the worst looking DMR'd IMAX release.
Yep, two different cinemas in two different cities...though both were in Florida. Use that information as you want.

The colors were phenomenal though.
Old 09-30-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never saw Star Trek in the theaters so that would be a treat. But the closest AMC is over 45 minutes away.
Old 09-30-11, 02:11 PM

^ I went with a fellow DVDTalker to see Star Trek over at Udvar Hazy - and my mouth was on the floor - the IMAX experience was exhilerating!
Old 09-30-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... and if you're near a Regal IMAX screen, you can pay seventeen dollars (if not more depending on your location) to see Star Trek and Star Trek only!

Fuck you Regal.
Old 09-30-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
I hope this is indicative of future efforts when the IMAX flicks are in a lull. I'm not as much of a fan of the digital re-releases of stuff like Top Gun because Sony projectors are just too dark. The IMAX Christies, however, I love, and I'd think it gorgeous if I got to see some older, pre-IMAX films on there. The three films being brought back were already released in IMAX.
With Immortals nearing release, I'm surprised Warner Brothers haven't tried doing this with 300. The fact that they haven't tried to post convert it to 3D and re-release it in IMAX somewhat surprises me too.
Old 09-30-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Immortals would have been just up their alley had the IMAX been available. It comes out a week after Puss in Boots, which will have the IMAX cinemas booked solid. It's all about when the IMAX cinemas are open, or if the film being shown is underperforming. WB had the IMAX booked for a few weeks for Harry Potter 7 part 2, but when the returns declined quicker than anticipated they used their booked time to negotiate a release for Final Destination 5 in the IMAX.

It's possible Immortals may open in IMAX a couple weeks after release, but since it's not as high profile as a Harry Potter flick (which in 2009 came out in IMAX two weeks after release because Transformers 2 had it booked), it's doubtful. I imagine it'll be Puss in Boots until Happy Feet 2, with any possible evening show slots given to Breaking Dawn.

Would people see 3d00? It'd be interesting to see how an R-rated flick would fare. The way that film is shot would lend itself well to conversion.
Old 10-01-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that was an interesting experiment... yesterday we only did ten tickets all day in the IMAX. Sigh. So much for hoping this would take off.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
... and if you're near a Regal IMAX screen, you can pay seventeen dollars (if not more depending on your location) to see Star Trek and Star Trek only!

If it's Regal, chances are they're running it on 15/70 IMAX projectors. They're a lot harder to maintain and run. At least there you have the supermassive screen.

One nice thing about the digitals - no worrying about platter space or 50lb movie cans. Just hard drives.
Old 10-01-11, 10:46 AM

Well, that was an interesting experiment... yesterday we only did ten tickets all day in the IMAX. Sigh. So much for hoping this would take off.

If it's Regal, chances are they're running it on 15/70 IMAX projectors. They're a lot harder to maintain and run. At least there you have the supermassive screen.

One nice thing about the digitals - no worrying about platter space or 50lb movie cans. Just hard drives.
not at the Regal Majestic - 18 bucks amounts to highway robbery IMO
Old 10-01-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Tree of Life would have been a great movie to show in IMAX. Especially considering the majesty of the birth of the universe sequence coupled with Zbigniew Preisner's music.
Old 10-01-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the IMAX locations in Vegas, both Regal and the independent chain, have gone strictly digital.
Old 10-01-11, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy View Post
The Tree of Life would have been a great movie to show in IMAX. Especially considering the majesty of the birth of the universe sequence coupled with Zbigniew Preisner's music.
Yeah... But you would have to stay awake long enough to see it.

fitprod
Old 10-03-11, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy View Post
as I understood, there was supposed to be 'the birth of the universe' sequence as a stand alone IMAX release with additional footage.
Old 10-09-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This week, most AMCs with IMAX screens (the digital ones that fit in a multiplex, not the supermassive 15/70 IMAX screens) are bringing back Inception, Star Trek (2009) and Fast Five.
Or, as I call them, "poor man's IMAX" with kind of "what's the difference" screens but killer sound systems. Anyway, went to all three. They were actually not shot at IMAX ratio, or at least it looked like there was still some black bar area on the top and bottom. Still, prices were great and I had fun. Inception still makes my head hurt, Fast Five is still too long, but hey, it was lots of fun.
Old 10-09-11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
Or, as I call them, "poor man's IMAX" with kind of "what's the difference" screens but killer sound systems. Anyway, went to all three. They were actually not shot at IMAX ratio, or at least it looked like there was still some black bar area on the top and bottom. Still, prices were great and I had fun. Inception still makes my head hurt, Fast Five is still too long, but hey, it was lots of fun.
the film's aspect ratios are all 2.35 hence the black bars above and below the image - personally I think Universal should have released 'Jurassic Park' in IMAX since it played as such over in London England as such.
Old 10-10-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They were actually not shot at IMAX ratio, or at least it looked like there was still some black bar area on the top and bottom.
No-one claimed that they were. Digital IMAX screens are 2:1, so 2.39:1 films will always have black bars at the top or bottom. 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 films will have black bars at the sides, unless the filmmakers decided to crop/adjust the image for the IMAX release. Avatar was 2:1 in the digital IMAX theatres, and The Dark Knight was 2.39:1, with its IMAX-shot sequences cropped to 2:1 from the 4:3 15/70 IMAX image.
Old 10-10-11, 08:06 PM

No-one claimed that they were. Digital IMAX screens are 2:1, so 2.39:1 films will always have black bars at the top or bottom. 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 films will have black bars at the sides, unless the filmmakers decided to crop/adjust the image for the IMAX release. Avatar was 2:1 in the digital IMAX theatres, and The Dark Knight was 2.39:1, with its IMAX-shot sequences cropped to 2:1 from the 4:3 15/70 IMAX image.
actually IMAX Digital screens are 1.78:1
Old 10-10-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure I was quite wrong about the aspect ratios, but were any of the three films actually SHOT with IMAX cameras? I'm honestly not sure. I'm just sort of disappointed in the one that fits in my local multiplex, simply because in spite of the awesome sound system, the screen doesn't really seem significantly bigger than your average one. It's better resolution, I'm sure, but once you've seen the giant one, it sort of spoils you .
Old 10-10-11, 10:17 PM

I'm sure I was quite wrong about the aspect ratios, but were any of the three films actually SHOT with IMAX cameras? I'm honestly not sure. I'm just sort of disappointed in the one that fits in my local multiplex, simply because in spite of the awesome sound system, the screen doesn't really seem significantly bigger than your average one. It's better resolution, I'm sure, but once you've seen the giant one, it sort of spoils you .
no, none of the three were shot with IMAX camera, although a few scenes in Inception were shot in 65mm (which is the same resolution as IMAX 'film'). IMAX for the most part has the best required brightness to achieve the best in displaying 3D films - on the downside, audio is still standard 5.1 with the addition of height channels behind the screen. Newer theaters and their alphabet soup of 'deluxe' large screens (ETX, RPX, etc) include the new 7.1 surround sound configurement and can pinpoint surround sound more accurately (and more creatively), IMAX are still two channel surround sound.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.