Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Killer Joe (D: Friedkin, S: McConaughey, Hirsch, Haden-Church)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Killer Joe (D: Friedkin, S: McConaughey, Hirsch, Haden-Church)

Old 01-08-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Killer Joe (D: Friedkin, S: McConaughey, Hirsch, Haden-Church)

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
The director refused, but the studio probably had no such qualms and took it out of his hands.
Yea. The profitability of a small NC-17 theatrical release is hit or miss. Take it away from kiosk rentals, and anyone who refuses to stock an NC-17 DVD? That really has to become unprofitable.

I got it on Cinema HD (from DirecTV). It had the KFC scene and plenty of trailer trash full frontal nudity. I wonder if I saw the R version or not? Any ideas?
Old 01-08-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Spoiler:
Everyone attacked Chris because Joe threatened to slaughter everyone if they let Chris leave. They're family, but animalistic stupid people, who are very worried about themselves.

Spoiler:
Ok, but I think it was pretty clear she was going to shoot Joe. It ends with a closeup of her moving her finger to the trigger then scene. Sure seemed that way to me anyway. If so, why shoot her brother first? If she really was attacking her brother because she was afraid for her life if he got away, then I don't buy it. She easily could have shot Joe instead and problem solved. No more threat from Joe. Plus, even if Chris got away, I don't think she was in any danger from Joe. Maybe she didn't want her family killed, but again shooting Joe solves that problem.

Plus, she was in bed right before that saying something to the point of he is smothering her. Unless I am not remembering right, it wasn't clear who she was talking about. Maybe it was Joe, maybe it was Chris.

Which brings me back to wondering who the father of the baby was. Chris seemed extremely protective of her. Maybe it just brotherly love, maybe not. But the story about Chris holding her down and laying on her seems a little off. Was he doing more than just laying on her? Given the fact of that story then her saying "he" is smothering her shortly before she reveals that she is pregnant and then shoots Chris, it all seems a little off. Plus maybe there are weeks/months that go by from the first time Joe has sex with her to the end of the movie, but it seems more like days. In fact the mom's funeral was shortly before the end of the movie. So if it were days later, then no way she is pregnant from Joe and it had to be someone else. Then thinking she shoots Chris for raping her and getting her pregnant seems a lot more likely.

Maybe I have the timeline and little details wrong, but this is how I remember everything going down.

So again, I'd like to think this is likely a very smart film, so to screw up on the details of timing of pregnancy and say everything in the end was explained simply because they are stupid white trash vs something deeper going on doesn't sit well with me.

Old 01-08-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:

It rains.

Spoiler:
But every night it pouring rain in Texas in this movie? The studio went to the expense of having rain machines on set for every night scene in the trailer part for no other reason than let's have it rain every night? I can see that in the opening scene but not the rest of the movie. I guess maybe I am way over thinking this movie and wanting more depth than it really has. It just seems like there are so many things that stand out as strange that I want them to have meaning, vs just there for atmosphere and oddness.

Obviously the rain question I have is the least of my concerns, but it was just one of many things that stood out to me. I thought this movie was amazing until the end, which just fell flat for me and I was hoping it was because I didn't understand the more subtle points/clues that were given to us.
Old 01-08-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea. The profitability of a small NC-17 theatrical release is hit or miss. Take it away from kiosk rentals, and anyone who refuses to stock an NC-17 DVD? That really has to become unprofitable.

I got it on Cinema HD (from DirecTV). It had the KFC scene and plenty of trailer trash full frontal nudity. I wonder if I saw the R version or not? Any ideas?

I saw the film while it was in theaters, and there was less than five people in the auditorium. So I can see how the lack of marketing for NC-17 films really hurts its box office potential, since most people aren't even aware of the film. And thus if it's restricted from various stores and rental outlets, that hurts it's profitability even more. So I can understand why an R rated version was created, though I find it amusing how adamant they were against cutting the film for theatrical release. Also the NC-17 rating was burned into the print of the end credits, and I was a bit disappointed I didn't see the regular NC-17 rating tag after the credits like I do for other films, since this was the first NC-17 flick I saw theatrically.

I haven't seen the R version yet. But according to some posts on imdb.com, all the nudity is intact, and only some trims to the kfc scene and a persons death scene at the ending was all that was obviously different. If that's the case, it still sounds like a hard R rated flick, and anyone refusing to rent it based on that is ridiculous. Since if you buy the film and hate it, then you wasted more money than spending a dollar at Redbox for a rental.

Hopefully movie-censorship.com will have a comparison between the two versions to truly know for sure what the differences are.
Old 01-09-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Redbox has the BD and I thought it was pressed with both versions, but I haven't rented it yet to find out.
I'm not sure which version it is, but they do remove the DTS-MA track and replace it with Dolby Digital.
Old 02-14-14, 12:44 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie is on Juno Temple has a hella nice body.
Old 02-14-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Who wants some fried chicken?
Old 02-14-14, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cinemax (and the 2nd tier HBO channels) show the original version, full frontal, kfc, graphic violence ect) and i loved the ending and had no problem with it
Old 02-14-14, 02:30 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize there was a censored version.