DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Scarface - remake (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/594766-scarface-remake.html)

DJariya 09-21-11 07:45 PM

Scarface - remake

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/univ...-new-scarface/

Reported by Deadline.com

The story says this is not a "Remake" or "Sequel"

I'm now waiting for Paramount to announce an "Update" for The Godfather :lol:

Solid Snake 09-21-11 08:09 PM

re: Scarface - remake

...so it's a remake? That's what it reads like.

DJariya 09-21-11 08:21 PM

This paragraph is confusing:

The film is not intended to be a remake or a sequel. It will take the common elements of the first two films: an outsider, an immigrant, barges his way into the criminal establishment in pursuit of a twisted version of the American dream, becoming a kingpin through a campaign of ruthlessness and violent ambition. The studio is keeping the specifics of where the new Tony character comes from under wraps at the moment, but ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions. In the 1932 Scarface, an Italian (Paul Muni) took over Chicago, and in the Brian De Palma-directed remake, a Cuban cornered the cocaine trade in 1980s Miami, only to be consumed by it. Ann Dvorak, George Raft and Boris Karloff starred in the original and Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrontonio starred in the remake.

If they don't want this to be a remake, then why even associate it with Scarface or have a script outline that is identical to it?

Hokeyboy 09-21-11 08:23 PM

I hope there's a 'W' somewhere onscreen right before anyone dies.

Drexl 09-21-11 08:25 PM

Hip-hop version?

E Unit 09-21-11 09:15 PM

FUCK Universal. I guess they'll remake their entire catalog before they decide to make something original again.

gmanca 09-21-11 09:45 PM

Movies should only get remade a third time if the second iteration sucked. You can only do so much with the same premise.

Would rather see that Cocaine Cowboys feature adaptation than this.

Groucho 09-21-11 10:03 PM

Shia LaBeouf is in talks.

Troy Stiffler 09-21-11 10:11 PM

Who are the modern bad guys? Bankers and meth dealers? Mexican cocaine? I'd be up for that movie. Glorifying it would be completely irresponsible. But I guess it wasn't too responsible to make Scarface in the 80's. It bared a "crime doesn't pay" message, but just barely.

PopcornTreeCt 09-22-11 12:03 AM

I say make it Eastern Europe baddies or even more fun Middle Eastern dudes. Not terrorists mind you, just slick drug dealing criminals. Maybe Javier Bardem can play a Middle Eastern dude.

Sonic 09-22-11 12:47 AM

I wish Universal good luck because they are going to need lots and lots of it. ;)

Spottedfeather 09-22-11 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10933152)
Movies should only get remade a third time if the second iteration sucked.

That's probably why they're making this new movie.

Ash Ketchum 09-22-11 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 10933184)
Who are the modern bad guys? Bankers and meth dealers? Mexican cocaine?

Hedge fund managers and mortgage brokers.

RocShemp 09-22-11 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10933078)
This paragraph is confusing:

If they don't want this to be a remake, then why even associate it with Scarface or have a script outline that is identical to it?

It just means that it's a re-imagining of the same concept. The same thing happened when Scarface (1932) was re-imagined as Scarface (1983). Certain bullet points will remain the same but many other things, including the ending, will likely change.

Does it still mean it's a remake? Yes. But it's not a beat-for-beat remake and hence the use of semantics.

DeanoBKN 09-22-11 10:07 AM

$10 says it's PG-13?

FRwL 09-22-11 10:33 AM

This has entered the pantheon of threemakes now along with King Kong and The Thing.

islandclaws 09-22-11 10:44 AM

Why can I totally see Tony Scott making this?

[obligatory]It'll suck[obligatory]

foofighters7 09-22-11 12:31 PM

"They say all you need to succeed in life is the will to work. Others say work is for people not smart enough to control their own destinies. Universal Pictures invites you to a blockbuster, 80 years in the making. 'Scarface: Mexican Mambo'.
Chuey Montana Camonte grows up in a small Mexican village, eager to one day illegally immigrate to the United States of America. He grows up on the mean streets of 'Esto es de Mala Calidad' in central Mexico. There he learns of his familia's history, their proud times, and their dark times. (Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill starts playing)
This summer your invited to come and escape into a world of love, anger, betrayal, madness, and forgiveness.
Starring Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Chuey, Tom Wilkerson as Raoulo, Hellen Mirren as Serun Aborto, Tom Hardy as Sabacho and Luis Guzman as Fred Rahmer."

RocShemp 09-22-11 01:33 PM

^ ¿Serun Aborto? ¡Que cabrón eres! :lol:

foofighters7 09-22-11 01:47 PM

¡cómo te atreves!

Solid Snake 09-22-11 01:48 PM

Tom Hardy as Sabacho? I'm game.

Ash Ketchum 09-22-11 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL (Post 10933727)
This has entered the pantheon of threemakes now along with King Kong and The Thing.

Don't forget THE MALTESE FALCON and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (or was that four?).

Shannon Nutt 09-22-11 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 10933119)
FUCK Universal. I guess they'll remake their entire catalog before they decide to make something original again.

Let me know when the get to JAWS.

Solid Snake 09-22-11 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10934165)
Don't forget THE MALTESE FALCON and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (or was that four?).

IotBS is at 3 remakes. The one in the 70s w/ D. Sutherland, another in '93, and the most recent one in '07 w/ Kidman and Craig.

Talking about TMF...I really wished the BD had all 3 versions like the DVD had. Yes, the Huston one is the better one...but it's still interesting to see the others.

DJariya 11-29-11 10:13 PM

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/davi...ated-scarface/

David Ayer, the writer of Training Day, was hired by Universal to write the script.