Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 08:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Just saw this on instant netflix. loved it AND its ending.
Old 09-18-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

I watched this on Netflix yesterday - can't say I liked it much.

The opening crash was intense, but I was bothered by the inconsistency in weather conditions. If we're shown a shot of the wreckage, it looks like a goddamn whiteout snow storm. If we see Neeson talking to some of the other survivors, it simply looks cold out; no more wind or extreme snow.

There were no memorable/likable people in the cast, Neeson included. I did have appreciation for his character, and his views on life and survival, but he was a cold, distant man that wasn't very relatable. The other men were all Red Shirts with no distinct characteristics. At worst, some of them were just downright annoying with the constant attitudes.

My biggest gripe was their portrayal of the wolves. Bloodthirtsy maneaters? Give me a break. I don't need to be a wolf conservationist to know that's b.s. These things were attacking guys like it was a frigging werewolf movie.

Also, this was not a werewolf movie. I kept thinking that if it had been, then we'd be on to something here. But if it was supposed to be a monster movie masquerading as a deep, introspective survivalist film then Carnahan failed (shocker there).

Why is it so hard to make a CGI wolf look like a real wolf? I saw better FX work in "The NeverEnding Story".
Old 09-18-12, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally watched this last week. The after-credits scene is really unnecessary. It's a flawed film, for sure, but I still hope Neeson gets some Oscar consideration this fall. It's not a showy performance, but he is terrific in this.
Old 09-23-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I promise you...I am NOT about to defend this flick...I'm not. I just love how so many people nitpick the hell out of this movie yet find no flaws in a flick that has a dude dressing up as a bat doing some of the most unbelievable things you can think of.

Don't give me the usual "yeah but the grey was made in the context of being real..." even if it was....why can't people suspend disbelief for it like they do with other films? It's a very entertaining flick.

Again....just an observation I wanted to bring up as it seems people seem to really bag on this flick for every little detail.
Old 09-24-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Caught it on Netflix. Loved this movie. Neeson's backstory with his wife felt a little silly an generic - but they did the payoff really well.

For some internal reason, I see my dog a little differently for the past few days.
Old 09-24-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't care for this at all. Thought it was poor. Lousy CGI, lousy characters that you didn't care when they died, and lousy story overall.
Old 09-24-12, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I promise you...I am NOT about to defend this flick...I'm not. I just love how so many people nitpick the hell out of this movie yet find no flaws in a flick that has a dude dressing up as a bat doing some of the most unbelievable things you can think of.

Don't give me the usual "yeah but the grey was made in the context of being real..." even if it was....why can't people suspend disbelief for it like they do with other films? It's a very entertaining flick.

Again....just an observation I wanted to bring up as it seems people seem to really bag on this flick for every little detail.
Won't hear it from me. I liked this movie a lot, along with some other movie from this summer that Neeson is in, with some dude dressing like a bat.