Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Old 01-28-12, 10:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Originally Posted by whoopdido
You're misunderstanding. If filmmakers want to put a scene "after" the movie, go right ahead (personally I like it) but make sure you do it right away. I know there are many other examples, but Iron Man popped right into my head. That extra scene was definitely within 20 seconds after the "end" of the movie. Most people sit there for maye 10 seconds or so after the movie ends and then begin packing up to leave. People lose interest quickly. An extra scene soon after the movie "ends" can be really cool, but in my opinion, if the extra scene is really late then it's lame.

Again, I'm under the impression that the extra scene in "The Grey" is much more than 30 seconds after the movie ends. Like I said, I haven't seen it and if that isn't the case then what I've said doesn't necessarily apply.
it's less than 30 seconds.
Old 01-28-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Grey (Dir: Carnahan) Liam Neeson and a group of men vs. Alaskan wilderness

Originally Posted by Giles
it's less than 30 seconds.
In that case, completely disregard what I've said then.

Basically I think if you're going to put an extra scene in, make sure it's soon enough, so at a minimum, no audience members have actually reached the exit of the auditorium yet. If "The Grey's" extra scene is 30 seconds after it "ends" that's totally fine. Like I said, I actually enjoy extra scenes as long as you don't have to sit there for 10 minutes to see the extra scene. And an extra scene that actually adds to the movie is totally a bonus. I just don't want to sit through 10 minutes of shit to see it.
Old 01-29-12, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....I wouldn't call credits shit (I've just no interest in them regularly)...but I see what you mean.
Old 01-29-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Last few years I've been seeing more and more people staying for the credits.

Or maybe they're snoozing.
Old 01-29-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by @jasoneisener
The Grey brought me back to the toughness of Southern Comfort and Runaway Train.
Originally Posted by @edgarwright
Thoroughly enjoyed 'The Grey'. Manliest film since John Carpenter's 'The Thing'. If I was in it, I would died in the first 15 minutes.
well fuck...might have to see this sometime this week
Old 01-29-12, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh shit. Guess I need to see it ASAP cuz calling it the manliest film since John Carpenter's The Thing is a fucking big deal.
Old 01-29-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

A comment from the review of this movie from this site: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54344/grey-the/

Wolves are vilified enough as it is without a movie depicting them as brutal, vicious killers. Packs are actually tightly knit family units (sometimes even sacrificing themselves for the good of the pack), which is more than what can be said for many human families. Movies like this only lead to the reinforcement of people's fear of wolves and in so doing, hurt the chances of wolves recovering from their endangered status.

Even more appalling is the fact that it the cast and director have confirmed eating wolf meat, for no reason other than to 'get into character.' I'm sure that the casts of movies dealing with cannibalism didn't actually eat human flesh! There's a difference between eating a cow or similar dumb animal and eating an animal that has other redeeming qualities. I'm sure if someone were to report that a cast ate dolphin meat, or gorilla meat, there would be outrage. Where's the similar outrage for the noble wolf?

Needless to say, I will NOT be seeing this movie.
Old 01-29-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I think the filmmakers were fucking with the schlubs who like to run out theaters once the credits start to roll
I just think it was a bad call on their part. And that one shot (yes that's all it is) didn't do jack to make up for anything. If I had been the studio that bought distribution for it I would've paid them to shoot more.

I don't think I've ever seen a film so blatantly misrepresent itself in the advertising. (there are shots that aren't even in the film!) Good film making, but it doesn't make up for everyone leaving the theater unsatisfied - myself included.
Old 02-04-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Liam Neeson headlines this film of survival after a plane originating from Alaska crash-lands in the cold wilderness, and a group of men find themselves basically outnumbered by wolves. The marketing of the film is a little aggressive with the action content, of which there isn't that much, as it focuses more on personalities of the survivors and their in-fighting, but somewhat comes together to stay alive as the pack of wolves stalk them through the snowy countryside with no civilization in sight.

I thought it was okay, but felt a little cheated by the conclusion.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 03-16-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

I liked the movie, very tense and enjoyable. One scene came off as particularly cheesy (has to do with eye glasses) but the rest of it worked well for me, the plane crash sequence was really well shot.

I walked out and walked back in when I remembered reading there was an after credit scene.
Old 03-16-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I liked it too. Thought I had already posted a review here.

An entirely allegorical film about man and his mortality.

It is no masterpiece by any stretch, but I was surprised such an intelligent film could be made that would be appear to be an action film about wolves in the arctic to those who don't tend to think about what they are watching.
Old 04-28-12, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Rented the Blu-Ray for this tonight.

No, it's not officially out yet. It doesn't come out until May 15th. My local video store just got them in and put them out tonight.

Very good movie. Neeson was excellent. I also thought the cinematography and the crash sequence were very well done.

I agree with pretty much everything that Osiris mentioned in his post. It's definitely a dramatic Man vs Wilderness survival drama.

I agree with Patman, I felt a little cheated by the abrupt ending. I felt like Carnahan deleted a whole sequence there.

Overall a solid B

BTW, in case your curious about the extras. Carnahan has a commentary track and there are some deleted scenes. No Making of Documentary. I was disappointed that there wasn't one. I would have liked to have seen some behind the scenes footage from the making of this movie.
Old 05-20-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm two for two this weekend with great flicks - I loved this shit out of this one - NOT what I was expecting (meaning it was much more brutal than I thought it would be).

The ending was excellent but unfortunately...I didn't know about the after credits part - doesn't matter...going to buy this one and watch it mulitple times anyway.
Old 06-18-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just watched this on blu. It's the 2001 of wolf vs. man movies. Quite philosophical, and very moving in parts. Aside from one or two stupid "movie moments" (as previously mentioned), and a few poor cgi shots, it was quite enthralling, and definitely the best work Neeson has done in some time.
Old 06-20-12, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched this last night and really liked it. Crash scene was really intense and Neeson was bad-ass. I'll eventually get this on Blu.
Old 07-02-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I saw this a week ago and it still haunts me. I never saw the final post-credits scene, and I probably won't ever go back to watch it. I liked how it ended.
Old 07-06-12, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was complete shit. It fails as a survivalist thriller, as a human drama, and as a realistic account of the Alaskan wild. The characters do almost nothing that makes sense. They leave the crash site where they have abundant supplies, a natural shelter, and an easy-to-spot rescue site and head off into the woods where they have none of that. Neeson's "expert" analysis of wolf behavior is laughably off-base. They'll hunt you relentlessly if you're within 15 miles of their den? I don't think so. Heading into the woods gives them cover from the wolves? Yeah right. More like now you can't see (or hear) them coming. And how is sleeping out in the open in the woods making them safer than staying in the plane? All they had to do was wall up the hole in the side of the fuselage and they'd be all set. They never once built a shelter of any kind (not even a snow cave) and their fires were all too pitifully small to keep them alive through the night. They make spears (bad ones) and then just seem to discard them after killing the first wolf. Then there's the crazy cliff jump and rope made of tied-together clothes that magically supports multiple crossings by 200lb men. And then you get Liam jumping into the freezing river and not suffering any form of hypothermia - he doesn't even bother to strip off his wet clothes afterwards! Every single character - Neeson included - is depressing and borders on nihilistic, so why should I give a shit whether they live or die? Wolves are demonized in the most deplorable fashion. Sorry, but they just aren't that vicious and blood-thirsty. Not even close. Wolves are scared of people and almost always flee when they encounter us in the wild. It would have made more sense if they were being stalked by a Kodiak bear, which have been known to relentlessly stalk and kill humans, but then I guess it would have been too similar to The Edge. All the half-baked "man facing his own mortality" philosophical statements are cliched and comic, right down to the stupid poem Neeson keeps reciting. If Carnahan is so intent on making such a statement then he shouldn't contradict the message by having Neeson be suicidal and all his fellow "survivors" lacking the will to live. It only works if the character desperately wants to live and has to come to terms with the fact that it's outside of his control. And the cold ending...what a joke. I guess it's supposed to make the film more artistic and deep that there is no proper conclusion? I didn't bother to watch through the credits to see the added little scene so maybe there is a conclusion, but if so, what a stupid way to do it.
Old 07-31-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joliom
I thought it was complete shit. It fails as a survivalist thriller, as a human drama, and as a realistic account of the Alaskan wild. The characters do almost nothing that makes sense. They leave the crash site where they have abundant supplies, a natural shelter, and an easy-to-spot rescue site and head off into the woods where they have none of that. Neeson's "expert" analysis of wolf behavior is laughably off-base. They'll hunt you relentlessly if you're within 15 miles of their den? I don't think so. Heading into the woods gives them cover from the wolves? Yeah right. More like now you can't see (or hear) them coming. And how is sleeping out in the open in the woods making them safer than staying in the plane? All they had to do was wall up the hole in the side of the fuselage and they'd be all set. They never once built a shelter of any kind (not even a snow cave) and their fires were all too pitifully small to keep them alive through the night. They make spears (bad ones) and then just seem to discard them after killing the first wolf. Then there's the crazy cliff jump and rope made of tied-together clothes that magically supports multiple crossings by 200lb men. And then you get Liam jumping into the freezing river and not suffering any form of hypothermia - he doesn't even bother to strip off his wet clothes afterwards! Every single character - Neeson included - is depressing and borders on nihilistic, so why should I give a shit whether they live or die? Wolves are demonized in the most deplorable fashion. Sorry, but they just aren't that vicious and blood-thirsty. Not even close. Wolves are scared of people and almost always flee when they encounter us in the wild. It would have made more sense if they were being stalked by a Kodiak bear, which have been known to relentlessly stalk and kill humans, but then I guess it would have been too similar to The Edge. All the half-baked "man facing his own mortality" philosophical statements are cliched and comic, right down to the stupid poem Neeson keeps reciting. If Carnahan is so intent on making such a statement then he shouldn't contradict the message by having Neeson be suicidal and all his fellow "survivors" lacking the will to live. It only works if the character desperately wants to live and has to come to terms with the fact that it's outside of his control. And the cold ending...what a joke. I guess it's supposed to make the film more artistic and deep that there is no proper conclusion? I didn't bother to watch through the credits to see the added little scene so maybe there is a conclusion, but if so, what a stupid way to do it.

I watched this last week, and thought it was a big stinker. The crash and cinematography were excellent, but all the best scenes are shown already in the trailer.

I was never emotionally involved with the characters. The film never gave me good character development, and their deaths were senseless and stupid. The ending was moving, and almost redeemed the movie for me, but I didn't like the atheist message in it either.
Old 07-31-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joliom
It's a monster movie. You might have taken it a bit too seriously.
Old 07-31-12, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks as a monster movie even more.
Old 07-31-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw this last week. It was good, but not great, and the great mostly came from Neeson. Seemed to suffer from an identity crisis. Didn't know if I was watching a killer creature movie or a character study. Never wise to try and blend them both unless you're Steven Spielberg and you're making Jaws.
Old 08-10-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Finally, sat down to watch this today and all I could think of was how emotional and personal it must have been for Liam for many scenes dealing with death and then thinking about him and Natasha when she died from her tragic accident. From telling the first guy that he was going to die and how to help him make that transition peacefully to the end where he pretty much tells God to fuck off.
Old 08-11-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The ending was moving, and almost redeemed the movie for me, but I didn't like the atheist message in it either.
I wouldn't call it an atheist message... part of me just loved that faith in God was given as much attention as it was....even if most of the men didn't accept it. It's a harsh film, with hard realities and no easy answers - very much how real life is. Sure, I would've liked to see a more obvious redemption ending, but as a person of faith I ended up feeling both challenged and encouraged.
Old 08-11-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I just saw it on Blu-ray and thought it was very good. I think it completely succeeded at what it was trying to be.

As for the extra scene after the credits...
Spoiler:

...it mirrors a scene earlier in the film in which Liam Neeson's character shot a wolf and then it was shown lying on its side, still breathing as it was slowly dying. Except this time it was the Alpha wolf lying on its side, still breathing. Liam Neeson's character was nowhere to be seen in the shot, but it indicates that he did at least succeed in killing the Alpha wolf.

EDIT: I watched the scene again and it looks like the back of Liam Neeson's head is in it, so both he and the Alpha die.

Last edited by dhmac; 08-11-12 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Spoiler:

EDIT: I watched the scene again and it looks like the back of Liam Neeson's head is in it, so both he and the Alpha die.
That is confirmed - to some degree - in the commentary, as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.