DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Steven Spielberg Finally Admits the Walkie-Talkies Were a Mistake (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/594631-steven-spielberg-finally-admits-walkie-talkies-were-mistake.html)

darkhawk 09-17-11 08:00 PM

Steven Spielberg Finally Admits the Walkie-Talkies Were a Mistake

Didn't see anything posted. From Yahoo news.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-pr...142746809.html

A couple of days ago, Steven Spielberg talked to a packed audience after a screening of a new print of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," which, somewhat quietly, turned 30 this year. (Most of our friends make a big fuss about it when they turn 30.) A few news items popped up out of this, from Harrison Ford turning down "Jurassic Park" to Spielberg sort of admitting "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull" kinda stunk. But we were far more interested in something Spielberg said about another classic with an anniversary coming up.

Next year, "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" will turn 30. (Oh, and seriously: Steven Spielberg made "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "E.T." in consecutive years. Like, in the span of a few months.) That'll be its own new Blu-Ray DVD, and what's most noteworthy is a change that Spielberg won't be making. Or, more accurately, changing back. He is, thank heavens, getting rid of the walkie-talkies he digitally inserted in the hands of the government baddies, and giving them their guns back.
As evidenced by the image above from the 20th anniversary edition of "E.T.," for reasons even Spielberg himself doesn't seem to understand -- likely sensitivity to criticism by parents' groups, who didn't like some of the language he used, and objected to the use of guns, period -- he swapped out the guns carried by the agents pursuing Eliot and his extraterrestrial friend:
"For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [I might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. [...] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells "NO!" in unison.] OK, so be it."
Purists never like it when people tinker with their favorite films, but this change seemed to be a disproportionate consolation to the outcry from parents' groups, which itself was probably out of proportion to the influence on the audience of such fleeting gun imagery -- especially in comparison to the larger message of the film (aliens are peaceful creatures, Reese's Pieces are yummy, etc.).
Regardless, we still think the "South Park" parody of this is the best one. And we're ecstatic that "E.T." -- which, at the end of the day, might still be our favorite Spielberg film -- is getting back to normal. Now, can Spielberg do something about the video game?

Now if only Lucas would see his mistake with Han.

islandclaws 09-17-11 08:13 PM

Re: Steven Spielberg Finally Admits the Walkie-Talkies Were a Mistake

Spielberg clearly gets it. He tried, he failed, he knows it.

The only mistakes George sees are the ones not there yet.

anomynous 09-17-11 08:17 PM

Now convince Georgie boy.........

Solid Snake 09-17-11 08:30 PM

We actually brought this up in the Indy HD thread (I think...) actually. But yeah...

jrsl76 09-17-11 08:32 PM

Please Spielberg, talk some fucking sense into your buddy George.

ruddiger_718 09-17-11 08:33 PM

I was there at the screening, which was amazing fun, Harrison Ford joined him unannounced, and BAKED out of his skull. You could tell Spielberg knew he was walking on thin ice, being best friends with Lucas, and the Star Wars blu-ray coming out. He mentioned that it was Lucas' decision on what he wanted to do with the movie he made, but was very against the process after dealing with E.T.

Mike86 09-17-11 08:50 PM

I was never as mad about the changes Speilberg made as I was with Lucas considering he made both cuts of E.T. available, but glad to see that he likes the original version more. Always had a lot more respect for him anyways as he's made many classics where Lucas has made one franchise and milked it for all it's worth and in many ways ruined it for a lot of people. What did Speilberg have to say about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull exactly?

bluetoast 09-17-11 08:50 PM

He admitted it earlier in the Summer as well, in this interview.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49921

Thread on the interview (yeah I'm the OP :))

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-6-2011-a.html

mhg83 09-17-11 08:56 PM

Is he putting the "Terrorist" line back in as well?

Matthew Chmiel 09-17-11 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 10927517)
Is he putting the "Terrorist" line back in as well?

The 1982 version has always existed uncut on DVD.

So, yes, when the film comes on Blu-ray next year, the film will be presented in its uncut form.

Shazam 09-17-11 10:08 PM

Spielberg gets in certain moods sometimes. I never understood the ET move, considering he made stuff like Schindler's List.

Decker 09-17-11 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 10927572)
Spielberg gets in certain moods sometimes. I never understood the ET move, considering he made stuff like Schindler's List.

... Eleven years later.

Giles 09-17-11 11:55 PM

maybe the bluray will finally include the Harrison Ford (as school principle) deleted scene - the laserdisc edition did, the DVD didn't.

The Cow 09-17-11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10927581)
... Eleven years later.

He removed the rifles in E.T. after Schindler's List. (in the 2002 version of E.T.)

Decker 09-18-11 12:38 AM

Ah. Misunderstood what was posted there. Yeah, it was misguided, but not the biggest deal, at least to me. Besides, he still kept the original version intact and included it in the set, so there really wasn't much of an issue anyways. Nothing like you-know-who.

Supermallet 09-18-11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 10927572)

Schindler's List is not a beloved children's film.

hal9000 09-18-11 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 10927713)
Schindler's List is not a beloved children's film.

Both my 8 and 10 year old boys would beg to differ.

;)

There's only 2 movies ever made that I would never want to own/watch ever again and Schindler's List is one. The other, Salo I've never seen, but from what I've read about it, I can live without seeing it.

banthafett 09-18-11 07:07 AM

UMMM hello, he's a penny pincher. Hes only saying this because he dont want a shit storm to come down on him and people not buy it. If people didnt bitch about Lucas and SouthPark didnt make fun of either of them, he would never have said it was a mistake. Hell, he would be changing everything.

Man, do I fucking wish that damn shark would have worked and we really got to see the type of movie he really wanted to make. May have never heard of him after that.

Solid Snake 09-18-11 08:04 AM

Would he really be changing everything? I don't know about.

mhg83 09-18-11 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by banthafett (Post 10927769)
UMMM hello, he's a penny pincher.

Well he is a Jew...

Hokeyboy 09-18-11 09:34 AM

UMMM hello, he's a penny pincher. Hes only saying this because he dont want a shit storm to come down on him and people not buy it. If people didnt bitch about Lucas and SouthPark didnt make fun of either of them, he would never have said it was a mistake. Hell, he would be changing everything.

Man, do I fucking wish that damn shark would have worked and we really got to see the type of movie he really wanted to make. May have never heard of him after that.

CLASSIC Internet fanboy rage. :up:

Supermallet 09-18-11 12:58 PM

Who pooped in your corn flakes?

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Spielberg to admit the whole of ET was a mistake.

The Cow 09-18-11 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 10928000)
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Spielberg to admit the whole of ET was a mistake.

:up:

auto 09-18-11 03:43 PM

Really? What is the problem with E.T.? :lol:

I'm no big fan but sheesh. Seems like a solid kid's flick. :shrug:

Sonic 09-18-11 04:04 PM

^
Hell yeah I agree! :thumbsup:

When I was a kid I cried hysterically and passed out. I had to be rushed to the hospital and laid in bed for 2 weeks.