Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Dir: Madden/Nighy, Smith, Dench, Patel, & Wilkinson)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Dir: Madden/Nighy, Smith, Dench, Patel, & Wilkinson)

Old 09-17-11, 08:31 AM
Banned

Seems fun...love the cast...hope it's good cuz it's got my interest.
Old 01-31-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Dir: Madden/Nighy, Smith, Dench, Patel, & Wilkins

Great cast--the foreigner-in-India concept is not new so we'll see
Old 01-31-12, 11:24 PM
Banned

Re: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Dir: Madden/Nighy, Smith, Dench, Patel, & Wilkins

Seems like bullshit Indian propaganda. Liberal crap at its best (worst).
Old 05-29-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The older I get, the more that movies like 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" strike a nerve in my view of my own mortality, and how I will graze in my golden years.

Take 7 subjects from the UK (of various economic means in their retirement years), and drop them in India, where they were sold on a promise of a retirement home situation where they would live out their lives in relative comfort.

Of course, the group gets to their destination, and it's sort of a dump, run by an enterprising young man (Dev Patel from Slumdog Millionaire), and the group has to re-acclimate themselves to their new environment, and discover things about themselves they did not quite know, or were too afraid to face.

The cast is quite good, starting with Dame Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith, and others. The direction is also pretty good, coming from John Madden (Shakespeare in Love). And the pacing of the script is also solid. How much you invest yourself in these character probably has to do with your age bracket, as there are subplots that hit home, and others aren't as interesting.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.