DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ghostbusters Returning to Theaters! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/594512-ghostbusters-returning-theaters.html)

Sub-Zero 09-14-11 03:45 PM

Ghostbusters Returning to Theaters!

Ghostbusters Returning to Theaters!

Prepare for a re-release of the sci-fi comedy classic.

September 14, 2011

by Max Nicholson

The Ghostbusters are riding again in a theatrical re-release of the original movie!

According to the film's official Facebook page, the Ivan Reitman classic is bound for the big screen for the first time in over 25 years:

"Alright, Ghostbusters fans. It's time to get your cats and dogs together and prepare for mass hysteria: This October, for the first time in over 25 years, the original and unforgettable Ghostbusters makes its triumphant return to theaters!"

Details on the event remain slim with only this single entry to go on. However, this could mean that the studio is looking to get a feel for the public interest in a Ghostbusters 3. The project has been stuck in development hell for ages, but a re-release of the first film would definitely be a step in the right direction for getting a sequel.

But for now, HUZZAH! Ghostbusters... in theaters!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/119/1194379p1.html

Jason 09-14-11 03:57 PM

Re: Ghostbusters Returning to Theaters!

As long as it's not

a) in 3D

and/or

b) "enhanced" with new effects

it will be a lot of fun. Cautiously looking forward to this.

starman9000 09-14-11 04:05 PM

I really can't imagine they will resist the appeal of 3d for a title with flying, glowing, ghosts and guns that shoot beams.

Shannon Nutt 09-14-11 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 10923677)
As long as it's not

a) in 3D

and/or

It won't be either, as we would have heard about it if they were doing the above. I just hope it's not a digital print...I'd much rather see it in 35mm. I'm also hoping it's not a one-shot deal, like they did with the recent re-releases of Back To The Future and Top Gun, where they just had one or two showings. Release it on the 28th and let it run through Halloween!

Peep 09-14-11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 10923677)
As long as it's not

a) in 3D

and/or

Giant marshmellow man yells "Nooooooooooooooo!"

wm lopez 09-14-11 06:13 PM

I want state of the art c.g.i. and 3d and I'll pay to go see it.

Supermallet 09-14-11 07:08 PM

If they do it digitally, I want it to be 2K, not 1080p as many of these single night re-releases are.

Ash Ketchum 09-14-11 08:41 PM

I'd rather it was the director's cut of BLUES BROTHERS.

DeanoBKN 09-14-11 09:14 PM

I saw an old print of this about 3 years ago, I'll be down to see it again, even if it's in 3D which I doubt it will be.

islandclaws 09-15-11 11:46 AM

I have no interest in watching revival screenings if it isn't at a revival theater. Sitting at the local AMC with a bunch of retarded teenagers and aging fanboys sounds like torture.

clckworang 09-15-11 01:17 PM

I love this movie. I remember going to see at the theater so many times when I was a kid. It's one of those films that actually grows up with you, as opposed to making you cringe when you watch it as an adult. If it opens wide, I'd consider going to see it at the theater again.

Mabuse 09-15-11 01:34 PM

It'll probably be one of those one night only projected digitally pieces of shit. Like Sony did with Taxi Driver recently.

I saw a brand new 35mm print of GB back in 1999 in Westwood right before the DVD came out. It looked beautiful. Great widescreen, big screen movie.

Boba Fett 09-15-11 02:53 PM

http://protoncharging.com/gb/2011/09...-this-october/

Supposedly it will be new prints and the company behind it does it all the time.

Mabuse 09-15-11 03:42 PM

Well that's good news.

Shannon Nutt 09-15-11 03:58 PM

I was lucky enough to see it in theaters in 1984...you know, when it was still "Ghost Busters" and not "Ghostbusters" like it is now. :)

Sonic 09-15-11 04:12 PM

"Aim for the flat top!"

Guru Askew 09-15-11 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 10925078)
I was lucky enough to see it in theaters in 1984...you know, when it was still "Ghost Busters" and not "Ghostbusters" like it is now. :)

I saw it in theaters too and its one of my earliest memories but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that it had to be during the '85 re-release that was designed to dethrone "Beverly Hills Cop" as the highest-grossing comedy.

Giantrobo 09-16-11 01:39 AM

Cool, it's gonna suck on the big screen once again. :up:

RoboDad 09-16-11 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 10925078)

The problem is, even in its original release the filmmakers couldn't seem to make up their minds whether it was "GHOST BUSTERS" or "GHOSTBUSTERS". Some artwork used "GHOST" on top and "BUSTERS" on the bottom, but other artwork (I'm pretty sure including the cover of the original 1984 pressing of the soundtrack album, which I own, but it's put away in storage) used the single line, single word depiction. If you want to get really technical, even the hand-painted sign they put up over the business in the movie is a single word. :)

Shannon Nutt 09-16-11 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad (Post 10925689)
The problem is, even in its original release the filmmakers couldn't seem to make up their minds whether it was "GHOST BUSTERS" or "GHOSTBUSTERS". Some artwork used "GHOST" on top and "BUSTERS" on the bottom, but other artwork (I'm pretty sure including the cover of the original 1984 pressing of the soundtrack album, which I own, but it's put away in storage) used the single line, single word depiction. If you want to get really technical, even the hand-painted sign they put up over the business in the movie is a single word. :)

Yeah, I forgot about the sign in the movie...I think the real damage came with the one-sheet. At some point shortly after the film's release, when most people writing about it had it as one word, they just said "screw it" and made it one word. However, I'm pretty sure during preproduction and filming it was primarily referred to as "Ghost Busters". Then again, it's too bad they couldn't put the title on the sequel that Bill Murray wanted, which was "The Last of the Ghostbusters". That would have been great. In fact, I remember Murray telling STARLOG magazine that "they'll burn in hell before they call this GHOSTBUSTERS 2". :)

jrsl76 09-16-11 05:44 PM

I saw this projected about 3 months ago at Hollywood Forever Cemetary. It's a great time with a crowd. I might be down to see this as long as it's isn't a digital projection.

mhg83 09-16-11 05:53 PM

It's a shame they wont be showing GB2. It gets a lot of hate which i still don't understand. Yeah it'll never be as good as the original but there's a lot of great moments in GB2 as well. Would be cool if they did a double feature of 1 and 2 :)

General Zod 09-16-11 06:44 PM

In this re-release when Gozer asks Ray if he's a god and he says no she kills them all. Roll credits.

reubs82 09-17-11 07:33 AM

Our kids have been obsessed with this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKB7zfopiUA

Somehow, though, I'm not sure I'll get two pre-schoolers into a showing of the actual film...

SethDLH 09-17-11 07:48 AM

"Where do these stairs go"

"...They go up."