Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Young Adult (2011, Jason Reitman, writer Diablo Cody) Charlize Theron, Patrick Wilson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Young Adult (2011, Jason Reitman, writer Diablo Cody) Charlize Theron, Patrick Wilson

Old 09-07-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625346/

Article here:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/awards-c...g-adult-poster

Oscar winner Charlize Theron ("Monster") is making a play to snag a second trophy with her much buzzed-about performance in the upcoming dramedy "Young Adult," which reunites "Juno" director Jason Reitman ("Up in the Air") and writer Diablo Cody ("United States of Tara").

The just-released poster (below) trades the star's good looks for a cool visual take on the film's title and plot.

"Young Adult" is about a successful writer of teen-themed novels who returns to her small-town hoping to reconnect with her past, namely her now-married high school boyfriend ("Little Children's" Patrick Wilson). Instead, she finds herself bonding with a different former classmate, played by Patton Oswalt, who hasn't quite gotten the hang of being a grown up. "Juno" vet J.K. Simmons is providing the sure-to-be-hilarious narration.

The poster is an homage to Judy Blume-type Y.A. novel covers, including a faux price tag and a gold foil stamp with Reitman's name and credentials. It's a different approach for a high-profile film with a star as recognizable as Theron, but it seems reassuring that "Young Adult" is serious in its serio-comic intentions.

No release date yet but this looks very, very promising. I would expect the listed "2011" to actually get bumped to 2012 at this point.

Patton Oswalt and J.K. Simmons? Yes, please.
Old 09-07-11, 08:17 AM
Banned

Re: Young Adult (2011, Jason Reitman, writer Diablo Cody) Charlize Theron, Patrick Wi

I'm there.
Old 09-07-11, 08:43 AM

Re: Young Adult (2011, Jason Reitman, writer Diablo Cody) Charlize Theron, Patrick Wi

Diablo Cody and Patton Oswalt? Expect snark overload!
Old 09-07-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Aside from the first 10 minutes, I rather liked Juno. I've also liked all of Reitman's movies and love me some Charlize Theron and like Oswalt.

I'm there.
Old 09-07-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love the poster. Makes me think of a Criterion cover.

I love Reitman so I'll be there.
Old 10-06-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

^ UGH!!!!!!!!!! i have no idea why this isn't showing up. here's a link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1..._n_998668.html

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 10-06-11 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

I'm still in. Looks good.
Old 10-06-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never saw "Jennifer's Body" and I only watched "Juno" once in the theater but I liked it a lot.

Diablo Cody is one of these writers who writes extremely stylized and unrealistic dialogue where most/all of her characters are written in her own "voice" but I don't see that as a flaw. I think misogynist internet nerds give her a lot more grief than, say, Quentin Tarantino, Woody Allen, the Coen Bros., Kevin Smith etc. when they're all guilty of basically the same thing. If I could go out in public and listen to people spout clever Coen-esque dialogue back-and-forth all day I'd just quit working and become a bum.

I'm not saying all those writers are on the same level or that any one is comparable to the other but Diablo Cody is the only one where I've ever seen people act like she's breaking some writing rule by doing it.
Old 10-26-11, 01:55 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this last night at a sneak screening. I enjoyed it, Charlize is pretty awesome, but that's no surprise, Oswalt was pretty snarky but has a pretty great role in the film.

Benefit of the screening was a Q&A with Reitman, Cody, Oswalt and Theron - Charlize is well pretty in person!. And also seems down to earth.. For some reason Cody left after about 2 questions and never came back.

Great chemistry between Oswalt and Theron in the film, and the q&A - release is Dec (limited)

And we also all got limited posters as we left. There are 5 total from each city they screened it at.

Old 10-26-11, 02:04 PM
Banned

neat poster.
Old 10-26-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I need to move to a real city.
Old 10-26-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I need to move to a real city.
I live near Orlando,FL, which supposed to be real city, but quite frankly does not get many artsy type releases the way other ones do . Kind of surprised me that Knoxville, TN was more prone to getting such stuff than Orlando .
Old 10-26-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I live near Orlando,FL, which supposed to be real city, but quite frankly does not get many artsy type releases the way other ones do . Kind of surprised me that Knoxville, TN was more prone to getting such stuff than Orlando .
It surprises me too. We have a decent film community here but it takes forever to get indies here.
Old 10-27-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tend to find some decent stuff in Winter Park during the autumn months. However, it seems the Regal in that area does what most other ones do whenever Holiday season hits and puts the blockbusters on multiple screens and carry maybe one artsy movie if you're lucky. I find it ironic that theaters like those bill themselves as CinemaArt yet they don't carry the art ones when they're out in force.
Old 11-30-11, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just saw this, walked away pretty disappointed in it. Feels completely worthless. I guess it's interesting in showcasing a horrible character as the lead, but where's the fun in that? Felt like it dragged even at 94 minutes.
Old 12-01-11, 02:30 PM
Banned

I haven't seen this sooooo I can't speak for the film...but...

Whether your character is a good person or a bad person..it's about how it's told. Raging Bull has a lead character that has no redeeming values as a person....but damnit...that's a great film.
Old 12-01-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post

Whether your character is a good person or a bad person..it's about how it's told. Raging Bull has a lead character that has no redeeming values as a person....but damnit...that's a great film.
But where's the fun in "Raging Bull"?
Old 12-01-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post

It basically boils down to "I'm trying to steal this guy from his wife, because I'm a bitch. I'm doing it, because I'm a bitch." repeated throughout the entirety of the movie. Which kinds of gets to you after a while, and definitely not in a good way.
Old 12-01-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked it. It's dark. There isn't really any of the quirk that Juno had, but I think it will be equally polarizing. A lot of it is funny, but not in a laugh out loud kind of way. More often I found it to be sad and bleak. I thought Charlize Theron's performance was nicely done; she's more than just a bitch. I found myself relating to her probably more than I would like to admit. Anyone that never really got over high school (for better or worse) will likely identify with the flick.

I don't know if it will make my top ten of the year, but I liked it and wouldn't mind seeing it again at some point.
Old 12-01-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You had me at 'the writer of Juno'. And by, "had me", I mean "had me never, ever seeing this movie".
Old 12-01-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is she naked?

Does Oswalt get some of it?
Old 12-02-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want to punch Diablo Cody in the ovaries, but I may see this anyway because Charlize Theron is hot
Old 12-02-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Is she naked?
Spoiler:
You see wearing nothing but underwear and those weird chicken cutlet things over her breasts.

Does Oswalt get some of it?
Spoiler:
Yes, he does.
Old 12-02-11, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
Spoiler:
underwear and those weird chicken cutlet things over her breasts.
wtf? What?
Old 12-02-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/\
NSFW:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.