Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Crystal to host 2012 Oscars (So long Eddie)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Billy Crystal to host 2012 Oscars (So long Eddie)

Old 11-13-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Billy Crystal to host 2012 Oscars (So long Eddie)

Originally Posted by bootsy
Really. That wasn't my freaking point if you bothered to read. My point is that Murphy can prove to still be very funny WHEN HE WANTS TO BE even after what many consider his prime in the 80s which are the movies mcnabb mentioned. I mentioned the Nutty Professor because that is the last time Eddie tried to be really funny and little cutting edge. Next time you want to TRY to prove a point read and understand my point in it's entiriety!
I agree, Meet Dave, Norbit and Pluto Nash were oscar bait movies that the low life critics and the movie going public refused to understand. They prove that when he gets serious he is hilarious. Or something and stuff.
Old 11-13-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
None of what you posted tells me he lost it. He lost his signature laugh. Seriously.

He chose to tame it down and do family, kid oriented movies that doesn't mean he lost it. He said in The Rolling Stone interview that he wanted to get back to more mature, R rated type of comedy roles and move away from the family movies. That doesn't sound like a person who lost it.
Eddie Murphy is just like most comics who lose that edge as they get older and have kids. I rarely see a comic who was funny in his 20's who stays funny in his 40's or 50's. Probably George Carlin was one of the few that stayed funny as he got older.

What happens to guys like Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, etc, is that they become so big they think they can just exhale and the fans will crack up. I watch a guy like Jim Carrey go on Letterman or Leno and he just looks at the crowd and they laugh hysterically simply because he is Jim Carrey. Bill Murray does the same shit every year at Pebble Beach Pro-Am, and if it was you and I doing the same EXACT jokes, people wouldn't laugh at all.
Old 11-14-11, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Eddie Murphy is just like most comics who lose that edge as they get older and have kids. I rarely see a comic who was funny in his 20's who stays funny in his 40's or 50's. Probably George Carlin was one of the few that stayed funny as he got older.

What happens to guys like Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, etc, is that they become so big they think they can just exhale and the fans will crack up. I watch a guy like Jim Carrey go on Letterman or Leno and he just looks at the crowd and they laugh hysterically simply because he is Jim Carrey. Bill Murray does the same shit every year at Pebble Beach Pro-Am, and if it was you and I doing the same EXACT jokes, people wouldn't laugh at all.
Excellent examples!
Richard Pryor was dud in the 1980's and so was John Belushi.
Robin Williams stayed the same if you like that sort of humor.
I would say Billy Crystal and Bob Hope stayed funny after 40.
Old 11-14-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
What happens to guys like Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, etc, is that they become so big they think they can just exhale and the fans will crack up.
cough... Adam Sandler [Jack & Jill] /cough
Old 11-17-11, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
cough... Adam Sandler [Jack & Jill] /cough
Adam Sandler is just as unfunny as he was when he was younger. He hasn't lost a step.