Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Crystal to host 2012 Oscars (So long Eddie)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Billy Crystal to host 2012 Oscars (So long Eddie)

Old 09-07-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Billy Crystal to host 2012 Oscars (So long Eddie)

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Did anybody know that Bruce Vilanche (this guy) is the head joke writer for the Oscars? He's always interviewed on those VH1 shows. Last year was awful! Forget about the deliveries of non comedians Franco and Hathaway, the jokes would have sucked had they been read by a professional.
He's been the head writer for years and is really to blame for why the show has sucked pretty much this entire millennium.
Old 09-07-11, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't Eddie get banned for years because last time he was on stage at The Oscars he made some joke about blacks bring up the rear?
Old 09-07-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Didn't Eddie get banned for years because last time he was on stage at The Oscars he made some joke about blacks bring up the rear?
I thought he got banned because he stormed out of the auditorium after losing for Best Supporting Actor for "Dreamgirls". Seriously, didn't he leave right after the winner was announced?

Regardless, I think Murphy could be fun with the right writers. But I smell yet another bomb. And worse yet, I heard on Howard Stern that Billy Crystal wants to return as the host. So next year, expect him. Talk about 15 years too late. Now THAT is gonna be a trainwreck. What the fuck has he done recently??
Old 09-07-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Regardless, I think Murphy could be fun with the right writers. But I smell yet another bomb. And worse yet, I heard on Howard Stern that Billy Crystal wants to return as the host. So next year, expect him. Talk about 15 years too late. Now THAT is gonna be a trainwreck. What the fuck has he done recently??
His most recent role was in the cinematic masterpiece Tooth Fairy.
Old 09-07-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

But he will be back in the spotlight with Monsters University next year.

As for Eddie Murphy...yeah I support this. Not sure about Ratner producing, but this is a good opportunity for Eddie Murphy, and I look forward to it. And really the last few years it seems like the hosts are on stage for like 15% of the time maximum. The last three ceremonies have been pretty forgettable in terms of hosts. Although I would have preferred to see Steve Martin solo yet again, as opposed to his team up with Baldwin.

Last edited by bluetoast; 09-08-11 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-08-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

If it was going to be 80's Eddie Murphy, I would be excited. Today's Eddie, meh.
Old 09-08-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
He's been the head writer for years and is really to blame for why the show has sucked pretty much this entire millennium.
Yep. Changes need to be made to the show and getting rid of Bruce Vilanche is the first step. He's been single handedly bringing down the Oscars for years.
Old 09-09-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry Seinfeld should host.
Old 09-09-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Jerry Seinfeld should host.
These days, I'd rather see Larry David do it.
Old 09-09-11, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah....Seinfeld hasn't been that great from what I've seen in the past 2-3 years.
Old 09-09-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

I saw Jerry perform live a few months ago here in Houston, he's still got it. Would love to see him host one year.
Old 09-10-11, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
If wearing a fat suit is their definition of edgy, then yes, Murphy is edgy.
If so, then David Lee Roth is edgy as well.

I agree with Ash about The Distinguished Gentleman and Boomerang, but I haven't been able to watch most of the stuff he's done since then.
Old 11-08-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks like the Rat is done as Oscars producer and possibly Murph as the host.

Brett Ratner Out as Oscar Show Producer

Director Brett Ratner is out as Oscar producer, as first reported by The Hollywood Reporter. The Academy and Ratner have just released statements confirming his exit.

Ratner released a statement soon after THR reported his exit.

"I called Tom Sherak this morning and resigned as a producer of the 84th Academy Awards telecast. Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents," he stated.

Ratner had been named as the producer of the 2012 Academy Awards show, but he has been under fire for making a series of ill-judged remarks in recent days, including saying "rehearsal is for ****" and discussing his sex life. Ratner went on the Howard Stern show Monday amid the controversy erupting over his first remark made at Hollywood's Archlight Theaters.

It is not yet known whether Eddie Murphy, who stars in Ratner's film Tower Heist and was recruited by Ratner to serve as the host of the Oscar show, will remain involved with the production.
Old 11-08-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With all the controversy surrounding those statements, this isn't surprising. I don't see Murphy dropping out. He needs this, assuming he doesn't fuck it up.
Old 11-08-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, Eddie Murphy needs it too much to walk away.
Old 11-08-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

And worse yet, I heard on Howard Stern that Billy Crystal wants to return as the host. So next year, expect him. Talk about 15 years too late. Now THAT is gonna be a trainwreck. What the fuck has he done recently??

I like to talk about what a dried up twat Billy Crystal is as much as the next guy but he's always been good as Oscar host IMO. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt until he messes one up.
Old 11-08-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Is Ratner just playing a PR game of some kind?

So the guy had some sex with Olivia Munn and thows around the *** word. This really doesn't seem like a big deal.
Old 11-08-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
So the guy throws around the *** word. This really doesn't seem like a big deal.
I guess it's not, unless you're producing the Academy Awards.

Ratner is a douchebag hack. This scraggly dolt should know better than to make a dumb ass comment like that.
Old 11-08-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Ratner is a douchebag hack. This scraggly dolt should know better than to make a dumb ass comment like that.
Yeah. What a ***.
Old 11-08-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Yeah. What a ***.
Okay I'll wear that one.
Old 11-09-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And worse yet, I heard on Howard Stern that Billy Crystal wants to return as the host. So next year, expect him. Talk about 15 years too late. Now THAT is gonna be a trainwreck. What the fuck has he done recently??
Was Crystal on the Stern show? Or was Stern talking about it with someone else?

Crystal was a great host, but now it's too much. Bob Hope hosted for just over 80 years in a row, but it was always about the show. You might have seen how the crowd lathered Crystal up when he made an appearance last year. No interest in watching that smug douche suck his own dick for 3+ hours.
Old 11-09-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

EDDIE MURPHY IS OUT AS HOST

Eddie Murphy has exited as the host of the 2012 Academy Awards Ceremony.

Tom Sherak, President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, made the announcement Wednesday.

“I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well,” said Sherak.

Murphy’s decision to exit as host of the annual awards show comes after Director Brett Ratner resigned as producer of the Oscars Tuesday. Ratner came under fire after he used a gay slur at a Los Angeles screening of his film, “Tower Heist” in which Murphy also stars.

Ratner issued an apology Monday for his use of the slur, saying, “It was a dumb way of expressing myself.”

Murphy commented, “First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party’s decision with regard to a change of producers for this year’s Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.”

Sherak, said Ratner “did the right thing for the Academy and for himself” by resigning from the Oscar telecast.

“Words have meaning, and they have consequences,” Sherak said. “Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless
and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent.”

Murphy was named as host of the Oscars in September. No new host or producer has been named.

The Academy Awards will be broadcast live from the Kodak Theatre on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 on ABC.
Old 11-09-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I'm sure Billy Crystal is dusting off his old Jewish jokes now...
Old 11-09-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Part of me is surprised that Murphy dropped out because, as others have said, I think his career really needed the boost that it could provide, but another part of me isn't surprised at all that he dropped out after Ratner left. I would have been really interested to me what Murphy did with the job.

With a shorter amount of preparation time available, I would imagine producers will probably choose someone who has hosted before. This could open the door for Billy Crystal to host again.
Old 11-09-11, 02:07 PM
Suspended

2012 being an election year and The Daily Show being as popular as it is my money is on Jon Stewart returning to host.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.