DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Creature -- September 9, 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/594188-creature-september-9-2011-a.html)

PopcornBandit 09-02-11 03:04 PM

Creature -- September 9, 2011

In the back country of Louisiana, a group of friends unearth a terrible secret that unleashes a monster from the depths of the swamp.

<object width="520" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/42440"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/42440" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="520" height="353"></embed></object>

Looks pretty good to me. It's been a while since I've seen a decent creature feature. I hope it's good.

islandclaws 09-02-11 06:00 PM

Re: Creature -- September 9, 2011

One of my friends was telling me about this recently. IIRC, he said he's heard good things about it.

riotinmyskull 09-02-11 07:09 PM

sid haig? i'm in

Pizza 09-02-11 07:14 PM

That looked awful, and I love creature features. Sort of half Black Lagoon, half Hatchet and all low budget. I'm there.

EdTheRipper 09-02-11 07:24 PM

I read an article about this in Fango recently. I'll definitely see this. I'll probably have to wait for video though, because I doubt if my local theater actually gets this one.

PopcornBandit 09-02-11 09:42 PM

The website says it's releasing nationwide. My local theater is getting it and it is a big Regal theater.

Dr. DVD 09-04-11 12:06 PM

Might have to sneak away and check this one out. I think a Sid Haig cameo should be mandatory for all serious horror movies. :D

PopcornBandit 09-04-11 05:31 PM

Killer Film gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 10911780)
I think a Sid Haig cameo should be mandatory for all serious horror movies. :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dr. DVD 09-04-11 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 10911995)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for agreeing. Something about seeing "Captain Spaulding" appear before a group of unsuspecting pretty people lets you know they are about to suffer big time!

PopcornBandit 09-05-11 02:54 PM

Sid Haig should be in everything! :lol:

Dr. DVD 09-05-11 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 10912754)
Sid Haig should be in everything! :lol:

Just think how he could spice up stuff like The Help if he did his normal schtick?

EdTheRipper 09-07-11 03:07 PM

As it turns out, this IS playing at my local theater. I'm psyched.

JumpCutz 09-07-11 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 10915051)
As it turns out, this IS playing at my local theater.

Phew! Thank god! I've been on edge about your predicament all week.

:)

Geofferson 09-07-11 04:01 PM

:lol: Likely won't see this in theaters, but looks like a campy good time for those that do.

EdTheRipper 09-07-11 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 10915093)
Phew! Thank god! I've been on edge about your predicament all week.

:)

I can imagine you would be. I was hoping for more happiness for me, to be honest.

:D

asianxcore 09-07-11 08:34 PM

Not showing at any of my local theaters :(

If I want to see it I'll have to trek across the Richmond Bridge.

aaronalive 09-07-11 09:46 PM

Not playing any where near me, but I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Looks fun.

PopcornBandit 09-09-11 04:36 PM

Saw this at a matinee earlier today. The writer/directors parents were sitting right behind me. It was kind of cool. When we left, his dad asked me what I thought of the movie.

Pros
-The story was decent.
-The creature design was good.
-Props for having a guy in a suit as the monster instead of it being CGI.
-The nudity was good.
-The practical effects were well done.
-Lockjaw's back story was pretty neat, as far fetched as it may have been.
-The ending was good (as hokey as it was).
-
Spoiler:
The black guy survived. I thought that was cool.

Cons
-The first half was pretty boring.
-The acting was pretty mediocre. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good.

Overall, I would give it a 7/10. Good but not great. I would definitely be up for a sequel.

sharkstank 09-10-11 07:20 AM

I'm a big horror/creature feature fan, so I decided to check this out tonight. There were some comparisons to Hatchet (which I enjoyed, thought it was an effective and fun slasher movie) and he trailer made it look like it could be a fun monster b movie. Thats all I was hoping for, but I was disappointed.

It was incredibly boring, especially the first half. Uninteresting characters, an uninteresting backstory for the monster, and the movie felt twice as long as it was. A couple of scenes just felt endless, with unnecessary slow motion and lame people. I will say that the creature design worked, and while I appreciated the blood (even though there really wasn't that much) and nudity, it wasn't enough to save the movie. It seems like the people behind the movie do have an affinity for these flicks too, but they couldn't turn that love into a good movie. Some of the turns in the plot felt so thrown in and sloppy.

I of course didn't go in hoping for an excellent story or great acting, but it failed to deliver a fun monster movie for me. Kind of hokey, really boring and just.. lifeless. Color me bummed. But another plus was one of the main girls, Serinda Swan, is quite easy on the eyes, we just don't see enough of her. Guess she was one of the "sirens" in Tron Legacy.

By the way, I'm surprised that this is getting a fairly large release. Apparently the budget was 3 million, but outside of the creature it looks like an even cheaper movie. Also, the name The Bubble Factory (the production company) brings me great joy for some reason.

I'd say * out of **** definitely try to wait for dvd, or maybe instant watch, save some cash. Or better yet just watch Creature from the Black Lagoon.

TomOpus 09-10-11 10:58 AM

I saw this listed at some local theaters. Never heard about it so I'm glad this thread was bumped.

joe_b 09-10-11 09:25 PM

It's a bit weird. No promotion and yet it's playing at all three local theaters. I checked out the showtimes this afternoon and didn't know what the hell this was. :lol:

Maxflier 09-12-11 04:07 PM

'Creature' Feature's Opening One of the Worst Ever at the Box Office

The film grossed only $331,000 opening up in 1,507 U.S. theaters this weekend, making it the worst premiere ever for a film opening in 1,500 locations or more, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/creatur...ox-office.html

SethDLH 09-12-11 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10921098)
'Creature' Feature's Opening One of the Worst Ever at the Box Office

The film grossed only $331,000 opening up in 1,507 U.S. theaters this weekend, making it the worst premiere ever for a film opening in 1,500 locations or more, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/creatur...ox-office.html

Doing horribly at the box office will probably get Creature more publicity than it ever would have for any other reason.

EdTheRipper 09-14-11 07:31 AM

Saw this yesterday. It's nothing great, but it was pretty decent. Like others have said, it was pretty slow to get started. I had a tough time getting into it for the first 30 minutes or so. The story was interesting and I enjoyed the backstory of Lockjaw. I'd definitely be down for a sequel.