Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

The movie really doesn't have much plot. We follow Llewyn over the course of a few days. We meet great Coen bros characters, all along while hearing tons of folk music. Great acting across the board. Oscar Isaac has a great voice. I'll give it a B+
Old 12-21-13, 12:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

I really really liked this one. I mean, it's the Coen Bros, and they're among the best, so it's not a surprise. It has strange occurrences, oddball characters, and moments of incredible vulgarity mixed with moments of supreme beauty. One of the best films of the year, without a doubt.
Old 12-21-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
It has strange occurrences, oddball characters, and moments of incredible vulgarity mixed with moments of supreme beauty. One of the best films of the year, without a doubt.
That should go on the poster.
Old 12-22-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know if anyone else was caught off guard initially by the ending. If you've seen the film, you know what I mean. A bit of a WTF moment at first because I didn't catch that the structure of the film was headed in that direction. Aside from that, great acting (especially from Isaac, Mulligan and Timberlake) and great music all throughout. That opening scene was very impactful, musically speaking. 4.5 out of 5.

Here's my full review.
Old 12-22-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of trailers that give away the entire movie but the tv spots for this film are flat out awful
Old 12-22-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Coen Brothers aren't easy to market, I'm sure.
Old 12-23-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The Coen Brothers aren't easy to market, I'm sure.
there is a difference between being difficult to market and making the trailer appear to be the sequel to Garfield The Movie
Old 12-28-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Really enjoyed this one, it's classic Coen brothers. Oscar Isaac does have a great voice. I know I shouldn't have expected any differently considering it was a Coen bros movie, but it was
Spoiler:
still disappointing to see Llewyn not catch his big break
Old 12-28-13, 05:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At no point in the film did I expect that to happen.
Old 01-02-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw it last night and thought it was good not great. The highlight of the film was Oscar Isaac's excellent performance.
Old 01-02-14, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much screentime does Timberlake have in this? Because I have a very strong aversion to seeing him "act".
Old 01-02-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He is in it for like 15 minutes tops.
Old 01-11-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Really looking forward to FINALLY seeing this. It's been a LONG wait.
Old 01-11-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not as high on the film as most, but for such a self-destructive character at times, his instincts for caring for the cat buoyed a lot of his character flaws.

The look of the film is quite classic, easy to invest into the framework of the time period for this story.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 01-12-14, 12:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
The movie really doesn't have much plot. We follow Llewyn over the course of a few days. We meet great Coen bros characters, all along while hearing tons of folk music. Great acting across the board. Oscar Isaac has a great voice. I'll give it a B+
that's kind of the point, and with a slight revelation at the end it makes sense.

I generally don't like Coen brother films - the early films are my favorite, the latter more recent films... eh overpraised if you ask me. Here though, for me it impressed the hell out of me - so many different aspects of the film gelled just right. Have seen this twice, can't wait to buy this on bluray.
Old 01-12-14, 12:41 PM

Man, those cats had some great trainers/handlers.
Old 01-30-14, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It's a good film, but I can see why it didn't get nominated for the big awards. IMO, John Goodman's part was a complete waste.

I'll check it out a second time on video. Loved the folk music, and there were plenty of funny parts to the film.
Old 01-30-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
It's a good film, but I can see why it didn't get nominated for the big awards. IMO, John Goodman's part was a complete waste.

I'll check it out a second time on video. Loved the folk music, and there were plenty of funny parts to the film.
Wasn't Goodman supposed to mirror Llewyn? Show him the future of a touring musician who never made it.
Old 01-30-14, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07
Wasn't Goodman supposed to mirror Llewyn? Show him the future of a touring musician who never made it.
Exactly. Not sure how someone can call it a "waste." That was one of the most powerful parts of the film.
Old 01-30-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
He's also a selfish prick like Llewyn who cares about no one and treats everyone like shit.
Old 01-30-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
He's also a selfish prick like Llewyn who cares about no one and treats everyone like shit.
"This should interest you..." with the tapping of the cane That repeated line of his made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Great dialogue that lets you instantly know a character.

I liked this movie, but like some of the Coen Bros. movies, I didn't get into it the first time. I'm sure I'll grow to appreciate it on subsequent movies, which is fine by me. I like these guys so much that even their lesser fare (not that 'Llewyn' is) is worth repeat viewings.

Did I miss a line about 'Dear Mr. Kennedy' being a hit? When Llewyn was wanting to be paid right away and the guy emphasizing he was giving up royalties, I just knew it would be a big hit and he'd screw himself over again. But again, that's a pretty easy joke / outcome which the Coens tend to avoid.
Old 01-30-14, 01:57 PM

It was mentioned again toward the end of the movie. Someone mentions to Llewyn that he heard the song and thought it was going to be a big hit. It was kind of underplayed, so easy to miss.
Old 01-31-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I really really liked this one. I mean, it's the Coen Bros, and they're among the best, so it's not a surprise. It has strange occurrences, oddball characters, and moments of incredible vulgarity mixed with moments of supreme beauty. One of the best films of the year, without a doubt.
Without a doubt. I loved it. 2013 was a strong year for actors. Isaac definitely gives one of the best performances of the year. The cinematography was beautiful and richly deserved it's Oscar nomination. Best part of the movie? Justin Timberlake only having roughly 10 minutes of screen time.
Old 02-08-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

This finally came to one of my local theaters and I was able to catch it tonight, in short I absolutely loved every minute of it. It's one of those movies when it was over I wanted to watch it again. I'll probably catch it again in theaters but can easily see this being one that will go into regular rotation when it hits Blu-ray. I honestly can't think of a time in recent memory where a Coen Bros. movie has disappointed me and this is no exception.
Old 02-08-14, 11:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
This finally came to one of my local theaters and I was able to catch it tonight, in short I absolutely loved every minute of it. It's one of those movies when it was over I wanted to watch it again. I'll probably catch it again in theaters but can easily see this being one that will go into regular rotation when it hits Blu-ray. I honestly can't think of a time in recent memory where a Coen Bros. movie has disappointed me and this is no exception.
same here... I find most critics being overly masturbatory over Coen Bros. movies in general - I loathed NCfOM and couldn't stand 'O'Brother... I did like True Grit but that was a remake... but this just floored me for some reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.