Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Short film based on Portal

Old 08-26-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Short film based on Portal

THis is absolutely awesome.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/pr...l-2-short-film

Director Dan Trachtenberg has put together an impressive seven minute Portal film with the help of composer Mike Zarin and actor Danielle Rayne. The short was original shown at San Diego Comic-Con, but has since surfaced online in stunning 1080p.

Portal: No Escape, as the short is being called, features some damn fine special effects work, and manages to perfectly capture the mood and atmosphere of the Portal universe. Honestly, the only thing missing is cake.

With this short, Trachtenberg deserves some attention. Valve has made it abundantly clear that no one outside themselves will ever be making a Valve-property film. And since the company is too busy making games, the odds of us seeing a Portal flick, or Half-Life for that matter, are slim to none. But maybe Valve will see the above short and reconsider. It looks like Mr. Trachtenberg knows what makes Portal... well... Portal. Donít you agree?
Old 08-26-11, 05:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Re: Short film based on Portal

i'm not into the games, but that was pretty cool.
Old 08-26-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it on AOTS yesterday (when I caught up on 2 episodes of AOTS). Very cool.
Old 08-26-11, 05:57 PM
Banned

If it wasn't for the Portal gun, I would never have even known that short film had anything to do with the Portal games.

The film is very dark and depressing. The games are not. Yes, you are a prisoner trying to escape in the games, but the games are still very light-hearted and humorous. The film is the complete opposite of that.

The film also looks more like a FPS game with the guards and such. The games basically have no FPS elements at all, except for a few gun turrets, and are strictly puzzle-based.

The ending looked like it was ripped straight out of The Truman Show, not Portal.

And worst of all, no GLaDOS? It is not Portal without GLaDOS. She is as important to Portal as the Portal gun is.

The short film had nice special effects, but it had little in common with the games in my opinion.
Old 08-26-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, picky picky.

It's a fan-made short film done without Valve's permission or assistance. Best not to have a GLaDOS impersonator. And I loved the atmosphere.

Well you're in the minority here anyway.