Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Song to Song (2017, D: Terrence Malick) S: Gosling, Fassbender, Mara, Portman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Terrence Malick prolific?

http://www.slashfilm.com/christian-b...e-malick-film/

Christian Bale Cast In Yet Another New Terrence Malick Film

Posted on Friday, August 19th, 2011 by Germain Lussier

After directing only four movies in almost forty years, you could never call Terrence Malick a busy filmmaker. That’s completely changed in the last few months. He released The Tree of Life earlier this year, is currently in post-production on an untitled romance starring Ben Affleck and Rachel McAdams and he’s still attached to a long-rumored project called Voyage of Time. As if that wasn’t enough, Twitchfilm reports he’s just cast Christian Bale in yet another movie that’ll start shooting in early 2012. Read more after the jump.

According to Twitchfilm, this movie (which may or may not be Voyage of Time) has a much smaller cast than the Affleck film. Instead this one is centered on just a male and female lead. Bale is the male and the same report says Malick is deciding between Rooney Mara, Haley Bennet, Clemence Poesy and Mia Wasikowska for the female

Bale was originally cast in the untitled romance before he was replaced by Affleck, so you can tell that Malick is a fan. And after the huge scale of The Dark Knight Rises, it makes sense that Bale would want to do something smaller and different. Who better than Malick to take that ride with?

This is an interesting time for Malick fans. The Tree of Life is a highly polarizing film and we know too little about the Affleck/McAdams movie to make any guesses about its quality. Now, with at least a third film on deck, is Malick’s spurt of creativity a good thing or will he burn himself out? Also, if he releases a new film every year for at least three years in a row (assuming the romance and this film are released in 2012 and 2013 respectively) does it take away from his mystique? Or will that be judged by the quality of the films?

Are you excited to see Bale go back to the smaller films or do you feel he’s better served in blockbusters?
Old 08-20-11, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Untitled Terrence Malick Austin Music Scene Project (S: Gosling, Bale, Portman)

Yeah...I read about it. I'm weirded out how Malick is making movies more often. Not...used to it.
Old 08-20-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Untitled Terrence Malick Austin Music Scene Project (S: Gosling, Bale, Portman)

Are you excited to see Bale go back to the smaller films or do you feel he’s better served in blockbusters?
Definitely excited to see him go back to the smaller films.
Old 08-20-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Liked him in The Machinist & Harsh Times.
Prefer him in smaller films.
Old 08-20-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah much prefer him in smaller films.

I'm excited to see Malick working hard to make us all forget about the Tree of Life.
Old 08-20-11, 12:34 PM
Banned

I too would like to see Bale in "smaller" films.
Old 11-02-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Plans for his 7th & 8th film have been announced.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...255938?_r=true
Old 11-02-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Malick working on films with Gosling and Blanchett. Awesome.

Oh and can someone help me out...

1. Badlands
2. Days of Heaven
3. The Thin Red Line
4. The New World
5. The Tree of Life
6. ???

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 11-03-11 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 10:48 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

1. Badlands
2. Days of Heaven
3. The Thin Red Line
4. The New World
5. The Tree of Life
6. The Ben Afleck Movie
7. The movie that was just announced staring Patrick Bateman.
Old 11-03-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

If Malick wants to direct Christian Bale, why didn't he take on the latest DARK KNIGHT film? That would have been pretty interesting.
Old 11-03-11, 01:51 PM
Banned

lol...

on a serious note...I heavily doubt WB would let that happen. Or Nolan for that matter.
Old 11-03-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That would have been pretty interesting.
"Interesting"? More like "best thing evar".
Old 11-03-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I've always been curious about what Malick did when he wasn't making his 4 films in 40 years and it turns out it was practically nothing. He worked on a handful of scripts, but that's about it.

He's as big a recluse as there's ever been (apparently he doesn't even let marketing use his likeness to promote his films, nor does he ever give interviews), so what in the world was he doing? Just sitting around at home? Badlands and Days of Heaven couldn't have made him a lot of money, so I can't figure out how he paid his bills for 20 YEARS in between Heaven and Thin Red Line.

I have to admit I was impressed to learn he graduated summa cum laude from Harvard, was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, and taught at MIT. Genius.
Old 11-03-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Badlands
2. Days of Heaven
3. The Thin Red Line
4. The New World
5. The Tree of Life
6. The Burial (Ben Affleck/Rachel McAdams)
7. Lawless (Christian Bale/Ryan Gosling/Haley Bennett/Rooney Mara)
8. Knight Of Cups (Christian Bale/Cate Blanchett)
Old 11-04-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why does he always cast these stone-faced astronaught looking actors. like richard gere, colin ferrel, ben affleck, brad pitt. it's like he wants them as movie star statues, while he focused on the grass
Old 11-04-11, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I've always been curious about what Malick did when he wasn't making his 4 films in 40 years and it turns out it was practically nothing. He worked on a handful of scripts, but that's about it.

He's as big a recluse as there's ever been (apparently he doesn't even let marketing use his likeness to promote his films, nor does he ever give interviews), so what in the world was he doing? Just sitting around at home? Badlands and Days of Heaven couldn't have made him a lot of money, so I can't figure out how he paid his bills for 20 YEARS in between Heaven and Thin Red Line.

I have to admit I was impressed to learn he graduated summa cum laude from Harvard, was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, and taught at MIT. Genius.
I believe he taught at University of Texas during his "absent period". What's always surprised me is that Kurbick used to catch all kinds of shit for being a "recluse", but he would occasionally do interviews when he had a film coming out and he would let pictures of himself be made available. Malick is the invisible man, he talks to no one, there are only a few pictures of him, he has himself cut out of making of docs shot on his sets, etc. And yet he catches almost no shit for it. I don't disparage either man for wanting their privacy, but Kubrick got pilloried over the years for it and Malick gets a pass even though he's infinitely more reclusive. I'll never understand it.
Old 11-04-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I believe he taught at University of Texas during his "absent period". What's always surprised me is that Kurbick used to catch all kinds of shit for being a "recluse", but he would occasionally do interviews when he had a film coming out and he would let pictures of himself be made available. Malick is the invisible man, he talks to no one, there are only a few pictures of him, he has himself cut out of making of docs shot on his sets, etc. And yet he catches almost no shit for it. I don't disparage either man for wanting their privacy, but Kubrick got pilloried over the years for it and Malick gets a pass even though he's infinitely more reclusive. I'll never understand it.
It's probably just that Kubrick's films were a lot better known, and he made more of them.
Old 11-04-11, 02:12 PM
Banned

He did teach at UT. Comes back sometimes to do a lecture. He's like the damn Big Foot of filmmaking. I was amazed to see him.
Old 11-04-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
"Interesting"? More like "best thing evar".

For some reason, I doubt long,silent, shots of Gotham City with voice-overs by Batman, Bane, and Catwoman would be what audiences/fans want.
Old 11-04-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Snake, you did not go to UT nor have you seen Malick in person. No need to lie.
Old 11-04-11, 03:06 PM
Banned

I didn't go to UT for school..that'd be UNT. I did however see Malick while I was visiting UT, he was doing a lecture there...a fact I found out afterwards.
Old 11-07-11, 12:24 PM

Ryan Gosling was here in Austin being filmed for Knight of Cups this past weekend. he was spotted at FunFunFun Fest, which i attended, yet i was the only one out of my friends who didn't see him :/
Old 11-07-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Malick gets a pass cause he's not worth writing about. His movies don't make money and quality-speaking, can't even touch that of Kubrick's films.
Old 11-07-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OP Article
we know too little about the Affleck/McAdams movie to make any guesses about its quality.
Really? We know Ben Affleck is in it so that's a huge negative right there.

And Tree of Life was excellent.
Old 03-18-12, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Lawless (2013, D. Terrence Malick) - Mara, Gosling, Portman, Bale

This is an interesting next film for Malick. Just came upon this because last night for SXSW, The Cult was putting on a free show and they were apparently shooting a scene for this movie. I've heard nothing about it and IMDB lists this as still in pre-production.

Synopsis is listed as "Two intersecting love triangles. Sexual obsession and betrayal set against the music scene in Austin, Texas."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2062700/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.