Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Re: Blade Runner Prequel and Sequel in Works.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I just hope that after I see the sequel I can say they've done a man's job.
That's the spirit!!
Old 03-04-11, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Here's their chance to do it right: put in CGI chase scenes but none of that boring philosophical crap. Cast Tom Cruise as the overburdened detective, and they can make money like Minority Report.
Old 03-04-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I see the names being thrown around today are Ridley Scott coming back or Christopher Nolan. Scott would be a good obvious choice, but i really doubt he would do it. I think he is returning to the Alien universe as it sounds like something different than just an Alien movie. I think getting back to the Blade Runner universe for him would be a toughie.

As for Nolan, well he is a self confessed massive fan of the movie and i believe that he generally shows it to people starring in his movies before they start production. Sure he did this for TDK at least. He would be a great choice, but i think he might feel like he is in a no win situation trying to expand on something that is already incredibly well made. Lets see i guess.

I see that Bud Yorkin has changed his tune since the original film was made. When the original went over budget i remember reading and seeing interviews where people said he basically acted like a jerk and caused a lot of headaches for Scott. Now he is singing the praises of Scott.
Old 03-04-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nolan or Scott would be obvious choices? I am more pessimistic about this...I would think names like Bay or Bruckheimer would be more obvious choices for the studio. Pissing all over the original movie and taking a huge giant dump and calling it a movie with loud explosions and mindless action seems to be the more obvious choice.

If this actually turns out to be on par with the original movie seems to be the least likely thing to happen here.
Old 03-05-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chiming in with the obvious....leave it alone. Bad idea. I'm probably not as big a fan of the film as I should be. It's obviously hugely influential visually and a technical masterwork that deserves the respect it's achieved. It shouldn't be sullied by a prequel/sequel.
Old 03-06-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Even though I love the movie overall, I think alot of what made it a cult classic is seeing that type of world for the first time. Before that there was futuristic cities like Logan's Run, and the world of BR was something really different.

Like someone said earlier, it would probably be like Tron Legacy all over again. I very much like the idea of Blade Runner, but that idea has been explored in many other films, like Natural City for example.

As much as I liked the movie, it ended that way for a reason. It was a perfect noir film.

Spoiler:
Deckard goes on the run to be with a replicant woman who only has 4 years to live anyways. Either way, he knows his fate is sealed but he does it anways.
Old 03-07-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dick actually write a sequel to the novel?
Old 03-07-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dick actually write a sequel to the novel?
You're wrong, someone else wrote a sequel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_R..._Edge_of_Human

I can't think of any novel that PKD wrote a sequel to. Even his Valis "Trilogy" is thematically linked instead of via characters or storyline.
Old 03-08-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Even though I love the movie overall, I think alot of what made it a cult classic is seeing that type of world for the first time. Before that there was futuristic cities like Logan's Run, and the world of BR was something really different.

Like someone said earlier, it would probably be like Tron Legacy all over again. I very much like the idea of Blade Runner, but that idea has been explored in many other films, like Natural City for example.

As much as I liked the movie, it ended that way for a reason. It was a perfect noir film.

Spoiler:
Deckard goes on the run to be with a replicant woman who only has 4 years to live anyways. Either way, he knows his fate is sealed but he does it anways.
It's a damn shame Natural City pretty much sucked, I had such high hopes for that flick.
Old 03-08-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Correct. After seeing the new films, all my fond memories of the original film will be lost...like tears in rain.
well.....you don't have to watch them. This way your fond memories stay intact.
Old 03-08-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's a damn shame Natural City pretty much sucked, I had such high hopes for that flick.
And I actually liked Natural City better than Blade Runner in some aspects. First off, I thought there was going to be a little more action in BR, and Natural City delivered that pretty well.

In fact, actually, I thought the movie was excellent. What didn't you like about it?
Old 03-08-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found it incredibly derivative, slow/uninteresting and simply boring. The action didn't do much for me either and felt like filler. I was on a pretty big Asian cinema kick when it came out and dug the trailer... was thoroughly underwhelmed by it.
Old 03-08-11, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I found it incredibly derivative, slow/uninteresting and simply boring. The action didn't do much for me either and felt like filler. I was on a pretty big Asian cinema kick when it came out and dug the trailer... was thoroughly underwhelmed by it.
I actually couldn't remember wtf NC was till you posted. THEN I remembered. Yeah...just seemed like average (using that term loosely) Asian take of some material and jamming it w/ action.
Old 03-08-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did either of you guys ever own a Sega CD?
Old 03-08-11, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
And I actually liked Natural City better than Blade Runner in some aspects. First off, I thought there was going to be a little more action in BR,

Well there's your problem. You went into the masterpiece Blade Runner with a completely wrong mindset.
Old 03-09-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. Snatcher, Lunar, Rise of the Dragon, Popful Mail, and Cheesy FMV games I miss the old school
Old 03-09-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Snatcher is what I was thinking of. To me that was pretty close to further exploring a world like Blade Runner. Although I never had the chance to play it all the way through.
Old 08-18-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blade Runner 2 (D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He’ll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side. They got control of the franchise earlier this year, but it's a whole different ballgame with Scott at the helm.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/ridl...-blade-runner/
Old 08-18-11, 12:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Ridley Scott Ready To Direct New Version Of 'Blade Runner'

I was about to post this as well. Bring Harrison back. That's all I can say about this.
Old 08-18-11, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...I'll tell you what I think about this after I see Prometheus, otherwise...I'm not sure how to feel about this.
Old 08-18-11, 12:45 PM

He should do "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" and not a prequel or sequel.
Old 08-18-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm currently indifferent. If it sucks, I still have the wonderful original. If it's awesome, I'll have a great companion to the original. Either way, I'll still have the original.
Old 08-18-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Blade Runner is a Top 20 film for me, but it doesn't need a sequel/prequel/remake. What made it great wasn't so much the storyline or visuals, but the feel of it, the moral questions it asked, it's take on mankind's abandoned children on Earth who had long since left their humanity behind. It was more of a poem than a story, really, and a fantastic one at that.

The "story" ended with the movie. It doesn't need to be continued, revisited, or remade IMO.
Old 08-18-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd love to see more of that world. And we won't know if it's necessary until we actually see it, like all films. As long as Prometheus delivers I will be hyped for this new Blade Runner.
Old 08-18-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on Ridley's recent comments, it's inevitable this will be coming to a theater near you...

... IN 3DDDDDDDDDD!!!!

Meh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.