Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Ridley Scott Ready To Direct New Version Of 'Blade Runner'

This isn't a remake. It's also two words.
Old 02-04-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Oh.

Maybe a sequel would be cool. I wouldn't want Harrison Ford to be in it though. I have Natural City so that's as good a sequel to Blade Runner as I'm gonna get.
Old 02-04-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how this would work but if Ford were cast I would certainly be intrigued. I'd like to see what they have in mind for another Deckard story.
Old 02-05-12, 12:38 AM
Banned

Deckard was a Replicant, how the fuck is that gonna work? I haven't been impressed with Ridley since Matchstick Men. This is bound to fail.
Old 02-05-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Deckard was a Replicant, how the fuck is that gonna work? I haven't been impressed with Ridley since Matchstick Men. This is bound to fail.
Keep up your rate of posts and in ten years you will maybe become ranked among the super users of today's dvdtalk......only by that point 10 years in the future the super users of today will be super-super users.

So amp up your rate of posts tenfold, and in ten years you will be all set.

Regarding Ridley, I agree as well that not too much has impressed me with him lately..... but I think his latest developments hopefully change that.

I am really looking forward to seeing Prometheus, and if that goes well I will have full faith in this movie going well as well.
Old 02-05-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Buster Friendly and his Friendly Friends are skin jobs but not Deckard.
Old 02-05-12, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by arminius
I'll take Ridley Scott's word over yours.
Old 02-05-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really excited by this purported project. Even less so with Harrison Ford involved.
Old 02-05-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Not really excited by this purported project. Even less so with Harrison Ford involved.
I was okay until I heard about Ford. I love him in the original but I'd rather see a different story in this universe than see a direct sequel.
Old 02-07-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Alcon Denies Harrison Ford Blade Runner Rumors

Though a rumor broke over the weekend that suggested that Harrison Ford is in early talks to appear in Ridley Scott's new untitled Blade Runner project, Deadline is now reporting that Alcon Entertainment is fiercely denying the rumor, saying that such discussions have not taken place and that it is "quite unlikely" that the film will develop in a way that will require the actor.

"It is absolutely patently false that there has been any discussion about Harrison Ford being in Blade Runner," producer Andrew Kosove told the site, likening Scott's current approach to what he's doing with Prometheus. "To be clear, what we are trying to do with Ridley now is go through the painstaking process of trying to break the back of the story, figure out the direction we're going to take the movie and find a writer to work on it."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86679
Old 02-07-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Not surprising, I didn't believe the rumor... though I'm still a big fan and would love to see him involved, this isn't Indiana Jones... there's just no financial incentive for them to spend a big amount on him for this potential film. (which I'm still not convinced will be made)
Old 02-07-12, 07:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
...(which I'm still not convinced will be made)
I kept thinking this until Prometheus was made and now confirmed to be an official Alien prequel. So anything could happen at this point IMO.
Old 02-07-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

You're right if you're talking about the book. You're wrong if you're talking about the movie. Well, the Final Cut version that is.
Old 02-07-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You're right if you're talking about the book. You're wrong if you're talking about the movie. Well, the Final Cut version that is.
Yea, I know. I just do not agree with Deckard being one. It totally changes the entire story from the book for no real reason.
Old 02-07-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Scott has come out and said that Deckard is definitely a replicant, but some people disagree and say he isn't.

Regarding Ford in this, I would think he would just have a cameo and not be the central character. He might not even be Deckard (or a Deckard).
Old 02-07-12, 01:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason some people disagree is that making Deckard a replicant completely undermines the point of the movie.
Old 02-07-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yea, I know. I just do not agree with Deckard being one. It totally changes the entire story from the book for no real reason.
In the book "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" by Paul Sammon, Hampton Fancher said the idea of Deckard being a replicant sort of invented itself. In his script the final shot was Deckard at the piano and his hand suddenly does a clinch much like Batty's did. He wanted it to be more ambivalent whereas Ridley wanted it to be more obvious.

But the film is what it is and we have to move forward with the understanding that Deckard is a replicant. I've seen it mentioned that he's a Nexus-7 without a designated lifespan or the strength of the Nexus-6. More human than human.
Old 02-07-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think the idea should be ambiguous as to whether Deckard is or isn't a Replicant. So basically the view is that there isn't much separating Humans from Replicants, and each has just as much right to live.
Old 02-07-12, 06:10 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus
In the book "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" by Paul Sammon, Hampton Fancher said the idea of Deckard being a replicant sort of invented itself. In his script the final shot was Deckard at the piano and his hand suddenly does a clinch much like Batty's did. He wanted it to be more ambivalent whereas Ridley wanted it to be more obvious.

But the film is what it is and we have to move forward with the understanding that Deckard is a replicant. I've seen it mentioned that he's a Nexus-7 without a designated lifespan or the strength of the Nexus-6. More human than human.
But the point is that he's less human than the Replicants until the end where he takes his chances with Rachel. If he's literally less than human, the theme falls apart.
Old 02-07-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
But the point is that he's less human than the Replicants until the end where he takes his chances with Rachel. If he's literally less than human, the theme falls apart.
Yeah, it really does really fuck up the theme that the movie revolves around.

The later versions of Blade Runner, with the unicorn and Deckard's red glowing eyes, practically beats you over the head that Deckard is a replicant.

Something like the above-mentioned hand clinch is more ambiguous, and better ties into the theme of where replicant ends and where human begins. Is Deckard a replicant? Are replicants humans?
Old 02-07-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I watched the "Final Cut" with my roommate two nights ago and I asked him if he thought Deckard was human or a replicant. He asked why anybody would think he's a replicant. Even I didn't catch many allusions to the fact and I've seen the film at least five times, I hardly think that version beats it over your head. Aside from the eyes and the unicorn, what other clues are there?

I don't know if the theme falls apart... It just changes the perspective of the questions the film raises. It's still about how one defines humanity. The idea that Deckard might become more human after realizing he's a replicant doesn't hold any significance or impact for you? Either way I think the thematic importance of Deckard's humanity is about the ambiguity, not the answer of what he really is.
Old 02-08-12, 02:48 AM
Banned by request

It's important because the Replicants have to act in contrast to the one who's hunting them. The Replicants, these supposedly less-than-human beings, are killing to survive. They've been denied a true life and they're revenging themselves upon those responsible. Deckard, a human, is killing because he's told to. He doesn't even want to. He just does it. If he's a Replicant, then where is the contrast?

If it were really left ambiguous, I'd be fine with it. But Ridley Scott has stupidly said it point blank in at least one interview that Deckard is a Replicant. Well, thanks but no thanks Ridley. I don't know how someone can make one of the best films of all time and then fuck up something so central to the main theme.
Old 02-08-12, 03:21 AM
Banned

If it were really left ambiguous, I'd be fine with it. But Ridley Scott has stupidly said it point blank in at least one interview that Deckard is a Replicant. Well, thanks but no thanks Ridley.
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not true. Deckard is a Replicant. I and many of this film's ardent fans §ee that as being to the film's benefit. The implications it raises go far beyond a simple question of, "Is he or isn't he?".
Old 02-08-12, 04:02 AM
Banned by request

The implication it raises is that Ridley didn't think it through when he made that decision.

And this is, along with Blue Velvet, my second favorite film of all time, so I would call myself an ardent fan as well.
Old 02-08-12, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's important because the Replicants have to act in contrast to the one who's hunting them. The Replicants, these supposedly less-than-human beings, are killing to survive. They've been denied a true life and they're revenging themselves upon those responsible. Deckard, a human, is killing because he's told to. He doesn't even want to. He just does it. If he's a Replicant, then where is the contrast?

If it were really left ambiguous, I'd be fine with it. But Ridley Scott has stupidly said it point blank in at least one interview that Deckard is a Replicant. Well, thanks but no thanks Ridley. I don't know how someone can make one of the best films of all time and then fuck up something so central to the main theme.
This.

Then again, Scott has never been the epitome of profundity. I've always thought that Blade Runner is so thematically rich in spite of its director.

Originally Posted by Drexl
Scott has come out and said that Deckard is definitely a replicant, but some people disagree and say he isn't.
And Richard Donner has said that he doesn't think that the kid from The Omen was the Antichrist, just a very naughty boy. Some directors don't get their own movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.