Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Old 12-19-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Originally Posted by Dan
Does Villeneuve know, though? I mean... did Ridley Scott know if he was or wasn't when he made the first Blade Runner? If he did, would he have confided in Villeneuve with that information?
Phillip K. Dick said Deckard is a human that becomes dehumanized in his pursuit and killing of replicants, replicants that are becoming more human.

The original screen writer says there should be no definite answer.

Harrison Ford said he played Deckard as a human, and believes that the character should be human.

But Ridley Scott said, half way into the process (production or pre-production) that Deckard being a replicant too was a great twist, and that he is definitely a replicant.
Old 12-19-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

The Deckard question is best left ambiguous.
Old 12-19-16, 02:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It is, but I'm guessing this movie will put a definite answer on his identity.
Old 12-19-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Does Villeneuve know, though? I mean... did Ridley Scott know if he was or wasn't when he made the first Blade Runner? If he did, would he have confided in Villeneuve with that information?

Which then raises the question... can a filmmaker make a movie like the original (or like this sequel) without being certain of the answer to that question, even if he never intends the viewer to have the answer?

hmm....
Scott is like George Lucas. If shit suits him at the moment, he'll pull it out of his ass and claim it was his plan all along. His interviews are like listening to Trump as he begins with a nugget of a concept and snowballs it until he convinces himself of its (and his) greatness.

Originally Posted by brayzie
But Ridley Scott said, half way into the process (production or pre-production) that Deckard being a replicant too was a great twist, and that he is definitely a replicant.
Uh-huh.

I deleted the rest for brevity, but the original screenwriter was the only correct one.

So, the plot description is that Gosling goes on a quest to find Deckard who has been missing for 30 years (then he finds him at home). Thanks for spoiling the movie with that teaser!
Old 12-19-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Scott is like George Lucas. If shit suits him at the moment, he'll pull it out of his ass and claim it was his plan all along. His interviews are like listening to Trump as he begins with a nugget of a concept and snowballs it until he convinces himself of its (and his) greatness.
Pretty much.
Old 12-19-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Nice. Looking forward to this. Hearing that music gave me chills.
Old 12-19-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's ambiguous if Deckard is a replicant, however the origami unicorn at the end basically says Deckard is a replicant. The original theatrical cut had the unicorn sequence cut, so the ending didn't really have the same meaning, especially when you have the quickly shit happy ending and cut landscape shots from the Shining over the end credits. With the unicorn dream sequence reinserted it totally alters the meaning. It clearly shows that just as Deckard had looked at Rachel's file and could see her implanted memories (a spider that lived in a bush outside her window...orange body, green legs, you watched her build a web all summer. Then one day there was a big egg in it. The egg hatched), Gaff had looked at Deckards replicant file and saw the implanted dreams of a running unicorn. The Gaff origamis are very cool and funny. First time you see one in Bryant's office as Deckard is walking out and he has made a little chicken, clearly joking that he is running scared. In Leon's apartment he leaves a little stick man with a hard on once again joking at Deckard loving his work. Shame Gaff isn't back in it to some extent.

Anyway, the nod that Deckard gives as he sees the origami unicorn and hears in is head Gaff saying "Too bad she won't live, but then again who does?" Is him acknowledging that he realizes that Gaff has seen his file and the self realization that he is maybe not what he thinks he is and no one knows how long he and Rachel will have.
Old 12-19-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 12-19-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I guess I'm just talking to myself....

Old 12-19-16, 08:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Bro, that means nothing. That's just, like, the reflection of the lights on set, or something.
Old 12-19-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
Bro, that means nothing. That's just, like, the reflection of the lights on set, or something.
Nope.
Old 12-19-16, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look, I don't care how many clues Scott placed throughout the movie. Deckard being a Replicant makes the movie much worse. So I'm rejecting that theory, simple as that. Scott has made it clear over the years that his storytelling skills are secondary to his visuals, so I have no problem rejecting his clearly inferior idea that Deckard is also a Replicant.
Old 12-19-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Our very own Decker is a replicant? When did this happen?

Looking forward to the film, even though I haven't watched Blade Runner in years.
Old 12-19-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blu, I understand that you sometimes get something stuck in your head, but ... Not a family of replicants.

Old 12-19-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How much for the little girl? How much for the women? Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children!
Old 12-19-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blu, I understand that you sometimes get something stuck in your head, but ... Not a family of replicants.

I like the brunette at the lower right hand with the glasses.
Old 12-19-16, 10:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh, okay, let's start with the one on the left in the John Deere shirt.

"You're walking in the desert and you come upon a tortoise..."
Old 12-19-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How weird is it that Ford's most notable films in the last decade have been Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and now Blade Runner? I wonder if he cares any more in his old age and is all about the $$$ instead.
Old 12-19-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The one with the cream/white sweater to the right. That is a Xenomorph.
Old 12-19-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

That trailer is too short to make any real judgment but it made me want to watch the original so I'm that as a good sign.
Old 12-20-16, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dan, you do know that all of the replicants in the film had that red eye thing going on, right? It wasn't just Deckard's eyes in that one scene. That's what made its so cool, since he was an advanced model. I'm surprised folks don't want to get it - it's right fucking there in plain sight now. I don't need Ridley Scott to tell me that Deckard's a replicant since the unicorn dream and his acknowledgement of what he is is spelled out. The red eyes is only enhances it.

Now since Ford is old in 2049 - maybe they'll say some shit like "he is human after all." IDK. He could be one of a kind. What I am calling right now is that Gosling's character is a replicant. It wouldn't take much, though. His character in Drive was a replicant anyway.
Old 12-20-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
How weird is it that Ford's most notable films in the last decade have been Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and now Blade Runner? I wonder if he cares any more in his old age and is all about the $$$ instead.
It's not like the non franchise films he's made in the last decade have been earth shattering masterpieces. I'd be surprised if a 74 year old Harrison Ford has an abundance of great roles land on his agent's desk. A Blade Runner sequel with Denis Villeneuve directing is the most promising thing he's attached his name to in years.
Old 12-20-16, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah that's a big NO. They specifically did this throughout the movie with all replicant characters. They even discuss it on one of the Blade Runner documentaries.
Old 12-20-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I like the brunette at the lower right hand with the glasses.
We can agree on that!

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Ugh, okay, let's start with the one on the left in the John Deere shirt.

"You're walking in the desert and you come upon a tortoise..."
I didn't notice it before, but I think that may be Leon sitting on the couch.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Especially since he spent most of his career chastising sequels.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Dan, you do know that all of the replicants in the film had that red eye thing going on, right? It wasn't just Deckard's eyes in that one scene. That's what made its so cool, since he was an advanced model. I'm surprised folks don't want to get it - it's right fucking there in plain sight now. I don't need Ridley Scott to tell me that Deckard's a replicant since the unicorn dream and his acknowledgement of what he is is spelled out. The red eyes is only enhances it.

Now since Ford is old in 2049 - maybe they'll say some shit like "he is human after all." IDK. He could be one of a kind. What I am calling right now is that Gosling's character is a replicant. It wouldn't take much, though. His character in Drive was a replicant anyway.
Originally Posted by james2025a
Yeah that's a big NO. They specifically did this throughout the movie with all replicant characters. They even discuss it on one of the Blade Runner documentaries.
So then the whole movie becomes an exercise in stupidity as the Voight-Kampff Test is no longer necessary. Replicants cannot blend in seemlessly. You can just look at their eyes.

I'm aware of the interviews and "extra-curricular" material. I know you two are correct by that stuff. But that doesn't mean it is right by the film. See, this is one of my MAJOR problems with Ridley Scott. When he does get something right, he trips over himself just trying to go back and fuck it up. He starts throwing in breadcrumbs that are not necessary and harm the film. Then he changes his mind and begins altering things to fit his delusional view of the moment.

We have long regarded Scott as a genius filmmaker. I really am starting to believe he is a hack who gets lucky. There is no question he is a master of visual artistry. However his abilities to tell a story and, possibly more importantly, get the fuck out of the story's way, are questionable. I said it before, he's become George Lucas.

The saving grace for this terribly titled film is bringing in a different director. The fact that it is Villanueve is a bonus.
Old 12-20-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

We have long regarded Scott as a genius filmmaker.
Only his first three films for me.

I really am starting to believe he is a hack who gets lucky.
He's a good director, but what good is a film with shitty writing? Which is most of his body of work.

There is no question he is a master of visual artistry. However his abilities to tell a story and, possibly more importantly, get the fuck out of the story's way, are questionable.
Most good directors can take a screenplay and make changes that improve the story, can't speak for Scott.

I said it before, he's become George Lucas.
Yeah, it seems like he stopped caring a long time ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.