Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

25 Greatest Unscripted Scenes

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-16-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cTFQBHBeleE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-11, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 25 Greatest Unscripted Scenes

....some are known and worthy of being the greatest...but most in there aren't the greatest.
Old 08-16-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't understand how they could have Casablanca as anything but number 1. Also, I always hated that "Here's Johnny" line.

Other than that, it's okay I guess.
Old 08-16-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Meh.
Old 08-16-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Some good lines in there but I think the order is off. Casablanca should be #1. Clockwork Orange should be #2 just because of how the addition of "Singing in the Rain" completely changed that scene. Jaws, Taxi Driver and Star Wars would round out my top 5.

Aside from that I don't know many improvised scenes so I can't really comment on what shouldn't be there or what should be replaced. There are some there that I had no idea were improvised... makes those scenes a whole lot cooler (such as the Usual Suspects one).
Old 08-16-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

List fucking fail. First it should be called 25 greatest improvised lines not scenes. Second, this should be number #1 no matter what you call the list:

Old 08-16-11, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SAVING PRIVATE RYAN "improv" always bothered me.

1. You cock-block your brother who possibly lost the only piece of tail he was going to get before he, you know, GOT KILLED.
2. That coupling could have produced a Ryan grandchild which is kind of important since your survival is kind of questionable, being in a war zone and all. Your poor mother has already lost her entire brood, and you've essentially ended the line.
3. Why should we care if this little shit survives? It's not like he's interested in keeping the family going.
Old 08-16-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
List fucking fail. First it should be called 25 greatest improvised lines not scenes. Second, this should be number #1 no matter what you call the list:
First of all, . I thought the same thing -- most of those were simply one-liners, not scenes.

Secondly, . What was supposed to have been an elaborate fight scene was thwarted by a stomach bug.

However, I would actually have to rank the chest-burster scene from Alien as number one, hands down. All it said in the script was, “This thing emerges.” Veronica Cartwright completely losing it is only outshined by Yaphet Koto grabbing a fork.

Spoilered for length (from http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1095):
Spoiler:

BIRTH
Ron Shusett: Ridley didn’t tell the cast; he said, “They’re just going to see it.”

Sigourney Weaver: They were crafty. They pitched the story so that you feel John Hurt’s character would be the only true hero amongst us.

Veronica Cartwright (Lambert): Well, we knew what was going to happen. We read the script. We weren’t stupid. We just didn’t know what the hell we were supposed to be looking at. They showed us a mock-up, but they didn’t show how it was going to work. They just said, “Its head will move and it’s going to have teeth.”

Sigourney Weaver: All it said in the script was, “This thing emerges.”

Ridley Scott: The reactions were going to be the most difficult thing. If an actor is just acting terrified, you can’t get the genuine look of raw, animal fear. What I wanted was a hardcore reaction.

Veronica Cartwright: They take John down in the morning to prep him and we’re upstairs for four hours. We’re sitting upstairs and nobody knows what the hell is going on. Harry Dean [Stanton] is sitting in the hall playing his guitar.

Ridley Scott: Prosthetics in those days weren’t that good. I figured the best thing to do was to get stuff from a butcher’s shop and a fishmonger. On the morning we had them examining the Facehugger, that was clams, oysters, seafood. You had to be ready to shoot because it started to smell pretty quickly. You can’t make better stuff than that — it’s organic.

Dan O’Bannon (executive producer/screenwriter):
All it said in the script was, “This thing emerges.”
Once the creature was rigged up, they stuffed the chest cavity full of organs from the butcher’s shop. Then they ran a couple of big hoses to pump the stage blood. During all this Ridley moved about, tending to the finest detail. I remember easily half an hour was spent with him draping this little piece of beef organ so it would hang out of the creature’s mouth.

Roger Christian: I had to go and get the stuff from the abattoir in the morning. It was quite fresh but would cook under the lights, so there had to be no hanging around.

Ridley Scott: Roger came in with the little demon in a shopping bag. We had an artificial chest screwed to the table. John was underneath: it was an illusion his neck was attached to the body.

Veronica Cartwright: When they finally take us down, the whole set is in a big plastic bag and everybody is wearing raingear and there are huge buckets around. The formaldehyde smell automatically made you queasy. And John is lying there.

Sigourney Weaver: Everyone was wearing raincoats — we should have been a little suspicious. And, oh God, the smell. They went to a local butcher’s or something. It was just awful.

Ron Shusett: He had four cameras running. Two guys, technicians, were under the table with a compressed blood machine. Nobody said a word, but Sigourney looked really scared. I said, “You’re really getting into character.” She said, “No, I have a feeling I’m going to be pretty repulsed right now.”

Yaphet Kotto (Parker): We were all wondering what the hell was going on. Why is the crew looking at us the way they’re looking at us right now? Why are they wearing plastic shields?

Ron Shusett: Later I read an interview where Sigourney said, “Dan O’Bannon and Ron Shusett were in the corner like kids on Christmas morning. I knew it was going to be a bloodbath!”

Veronica Cartwright: We start to do the scene. They have four cameras going. You see this thing start to come out, so we all get sucked in, we lean forward to check it out. They shout, “Cut!” They cut John’s T-shirt a little more because it wasn’t going to burst through. Then they said, “Let’s start again.” We all start leaning forward again and all of a sudden it comes out. I tell you, none of us expected it. It came out and twisted round.

Roger Christian: We were pumping something in the range of six gallons of blood on each take. It literally went all over the set.

Sigourney Weaver: All I could think of was John, frankly. I wasn’t even thinking that we were making a movie.

Ivor Powell: I hadn’t expected it to be quite that intense.

Sigourney Weaver: Look, I worked with Roman Polanski on Death And The Maiden — he would shoot a gun off. You can act, sure, but when you’re surprised, that’s gold.

Ron Shusett: Veronica Cartwright — when the blood hit her — she totally passed out. I heard from Yaphet Kotto’s wife that after that scene he went to his room and wouldn’t talk to anybody.

Yaphet Kotto: Oh man! It was real, man. We didn’t see that coming. Can you imagine, we’re struggling with this guy, and here we are acting. You know they are going to do something, you don’t know what, then all of a sudden this thing splats in front of you, and it breaks loose. We were freaked. The actors were all frightened. And Veronica nutted out.

Dan O'Bannon: This jet of blood, about three feet long, caught her smack in the kisser.

Veronica Cartwright: I didn’t have to do anything. I didn’t have to say, “Oh, I’m acting now.” Your reaction is just going off what you’re seeing. It was totally a visceral thing. That huge thing of blood hit my face and I backed up and flipped upside-down. It was on the dailies, it was hysterical. But that was it. It was a one-off. Everyone’s reaction was totally real.

Ron Shusett: From that moment on, they were really into it. It wasn’t a game.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-16-11 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Secondly, . What was supposed to have been an elaborate fight scene was thwarted by a stomach bug.
Apparenlty the guy who played the swordsman was livid that he just gets shot instead.

I didn't watch the video but Harrison Ford ad-libbed "It's not the years sweetheart, its the mileage" in Raiders. Awesome line.
Old 08-17-11, 12:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

A lot of those are dubious. The "I know" line from Empire was not in the script, but it's not like it was spontaneously ad libed on the spot as the cameras rolled. It was Ford and the director came up with the line, it was rehearsed and shot. It was something that was developed while they were working, not something ad libed at a moment's notice.

Same thing with We Need a Bigger Boat.

Blade Runner "tears in rain" is debated to this day. There were so many screenwriters and revisions that the famous monologue draws from like three different writers, and it was rehearsed and tweeked right up to filming. Still it's not some "improvised as the cameras rolled" kind of thing.

The Clockwork Orange "singin' in the rain" thing is endlessly debated with everyone haveing a different version of the story.

I don't believe for a minute that the SPR story was entirely improvised.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-17-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
A lot of those are dubious. The "I know" line from Empire was not in the script, but it's not like it was spontaneously ad libed on the spot as the cameras rolled.
I think that's why the list is called "25 Greatest Unscripted Scenes", not "25 Greatest ad-libbed Scenes".

Several of the examples you give are lines that weren't in the script, which means, by definition, that they're unscripted.
Old 08-17-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeb
The SAVING PRIVATE RYAN "improv" always bothered me.

1. You cock-block your brother who possibly lost the only piece of tail he was going to get before he, you know, GOT KILLED.
2. That coupling could have produced a Ryan grandchild which is kind of important since your survival is kind of questionable, being in a war zone and all. Your poor mother has already lost her entire brood, and you've essentially ended the line.
3. Why should we care if this little shit survives? It's not like he's interested in keeping the family going.
It always bothered me as well, but mostly because I found it to be the weakest scene in the film by far. Damon, who admittedly is a solid actor, is just so obviously acting during that scene.