Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 03:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

One might think so, but you keep piping up, so that obviously can't be true.
Old 12-04-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Old 12-04-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Old 12-04-13, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I think it's safe to say you speak for a------s everywhere.
Don't be such a scaredy cat. Assholes. There.
Old 12-04-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get all of the hate for the first Raimi flick. OK, so time might not have been that kind to some of it, but parts hold up pretty well. It's better than the Webb film, IMO.
Old 12-04-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

"Shitcock"...
Old 12-04-13, 04:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I don't get all of the hate for the first Raimi flick.
I don't think anybody's expressing much "hate" for that film (apart from the design of the Green Goblin).
Old 12-04-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get all of the hate for the first Raimi flick. OK, so time might not have been that kind to some of it, but parts hold up pretty well. It's better than the Webb film, IMO.
I never thought it was that bad either. Spider-Man 2 is the better film and the best of Raimi's trilogy but the first one is decent enough. I think the origin story is pretty good overall and while I didn't love some aspects such as the organic web shooters I felt the film overall did a better job at introducing us to Peter/Spidey than The Amazing Spider-Man did. I know a lot of people gave the design of the Green Goblin shit but it never actually bothered me that badly. I think partially because Dafoe was really good as Norman that even though the suit looked sort of goofy I was okay with it.
Old 12-04-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taffer
Is that hyperbole or do you really not know who Spencer Smythe is? I thought you were a hardcore comic nerd? Spencer Smythe isn't that obscure at all, and a comic nerd should definitely know who he is.
FWIW, I'm one year younger than you, have been reading comics since the late 1980s, have a bookshelf that's very much in danger of collapsing under the weight of 300+ TPBs/graphic novels...and have no idea who Spencer Smythe is.
Old 12-04-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

QUOTE]Schumacher's Bane[/QUOTE]

Eh. Outside of the overly veiny look and the dog collar, he at least did look accurately like his comic book portrayal.

Galactus as a cloud
That was stupid, but Galactus was not meant to be a human character like the ones in Amazing Spiderman. Though I do wonder why Hollywood was so unoriginal with Galactus and Parralax.

Power Ranger Goblin
I don't hate the GG look. I thought the armor made sense and if you saw that picture in a Spiderman movie, you would know who the character was. Again, looking at how they look in AMS, would you have any clue who those characters are supposed to be?

I don't either. Honestly I think it holds up pretty well and did more things right with the character than ASM did. Which is why I never got all those message boards where people where talking about how awesome ASM was and how terrible the Raimi movies were.
Old 12-04-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Lab experiment of Ben Parker? Do you mean Richard Parker?
Yeah, my bad.
Old 12-04-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
IIRC, The "Peter as experiment" was heavily hinted in the initial trailers but was then dropped for the final cut.
Indeed it was.
Old 12-04-13, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberjoe
FWIW, I'm one year younger than you, have been reading comics since the late 1980s, have a bookshelf that's very much in danger of collapsing under the weight of 300+ TPBs/graphic novels...and have no idea who Spencer Smythe is.
Only 300? NOOB!

Have you heard of Alistair Smythe at least? Spencer died in the late 70s, but his son was introduced in the 80s. There was also a pretty big storyarc in the early 90s where Alistair turned himself into the "Ultimate Spider-Slayer."
Old 12-04-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I never thought it was that bad either. Spider-Man 2 is the better film and the best of Raimi's trilogy but the first one is decent enough. I think the origin story is pretty good overall and while I didn't love some aspects such as the organic web shooters I felt the film overall did a better job at introducing us to Peter/Spidey than The Amazing Spider-Man did. I know a lot of people gave the design of the Green Goblin shit but it never actually bothered me that badly. I think partially because Dafoe was really good as Norman that even though the suit looked sort of goofy I was okay with it.
Yeah, the Goblin design wasn't the greatest, but at least there was a certain logic in how it sort of seemed to functional as a flight suit. The mask was stupid, yes. Dafoe was obviously hamming it up, but in that suit, you can hardly blame him, and I though he made for a solid villain. The genre was still getting its feet wet at that point, but I think it holds up pretty well. And I still think that you could make a pretty convincing case for Spider-Man 2 as the best superhero movie ever, it's damn near perfect, IMO.
Old 12-04-13, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Don't be such a scaredy cat. Assholes. There.
Reported.
Old 12-04-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Reported.
You basically called someone an asshole but are reporting someone for calling you a scaredy cat?
Old 12-04-13, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 12-04-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-04-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, the Goblin design wasn't the greatest, but at least there was a certain logic in how it sort of seemed to functional as a flight suit. The mask was stupid, yes.
That's what I was talking about when I said these things are getting mired in rationalizations. That was the strength and the curse of Batman Begins. To a point, it's fun to see archetypal stuff that was off the wall given a logical and reasonable explanation and purpose. But at a certain point it's not just unnecessary, it actively starts to undermine the playfulness of the entire enterprise.

And I still think that you could make a pretty convincing case for Spider-Man 2 as the best superhero movie ever, it's damn near perfect, IMO.
Yeah, I feel the same. There are a couple other movies that edge it out for me but they're all close. The only thing that holds S-M2 back from being a just about perfect adaptation of the source material is the presence of Dunst. Not so much that she wasn't MJ, as the comic version of the character never would have worked in the context of Raimi's first two movies, I just never bought as the figure that could inspire so much romantic longing.
Old 12-04-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
That's what I was talking about when I said these things are getting mired in rationalizations. That was the strength and the curse of Batman Begins. To a point, it's fun to see archetypal stuff that was off the wall given a logical and reasonable explanation and purpose. But at a certain point it's not just unnecessary, it actively starts to undermine the playfulness of the entire enterprise.
I can sort of understand your point but even so you can't really fault Nolan for trying something new, making it work, and having it work so well that others are trying similar approaches. Besides that things like costumes and whatever have been re-tooled for superhero films long before Batman Begins came along.
Old 12-04-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's safe to say you speak for a------s everywhere.
Old 12-05-13, 12:25 AM
Banned

Reported.
Not sure for what but ok. Sure... Why not?
Old 12-05-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nbp3Ra3Yp74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like kind of a mess to me. I wish they had just picked one villain to focus on.
Old 12-05-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

in one quick scene, you could see a pair of wings that looked like something vulture would wear. i guess we are going to get that sinister six movie.
Old 12-05-13, 08:14 AM
Banned

Neat to see the Ock arms and the Vulture wings. But...yeah. This one just goes lower and lower. I guess Spider-Man needed conspiracy and intrigue to his existence?

I did like Spidey catch the car and him about to throw the manhole cover. But I don't see myself seeing this via my own cash. Thankfully...I've a friend who will more than welcome me to see it with her. She's the friend that'll pay for my ticket for the films I'm very iffy on or don't care to watch. Now if only I can get her to watch a subtitled foreign film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.