Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Old 12-03-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Because no one knows who the fuck those characters are.
Yup. I stopped reading Amazing Spider-man around the time the Spider-Slayer storyline was going on and only remember the Smythe guy and his arachnid powers because of this thread. I now do remember the spider-slayers were in the 90s cartoon, but again, most people remember the more classic villains.

Originally Posted by taffer
It doesn't matter how popular a character is so long as the movie makes them interesting.
Agree but it's more of a risk for studios. It's like casting an unknown for the lead in a big movie. Might be a great choice for the role, but a lot of people get interested in a movie when it's their favorite big name actor starring, or they heard good things about that Jennifer Lawrence girl.

Plus, I don't think Rhino was ever that popular in the first place. Ask random people to name 10 Spider-Man villains, and I bet very few of them would name Rhino.
I guess they just want to go with classic villains with recognizable names. The Rhino, The Penguin, The Lizard etc.

The big assumption you are making there is that everyone actually watches cartoons. They don't. Cartoons have the same stigma that comics do: most people think they're for children.
Yeah but while most kids who read the comics watched the cartoons, not every kid that watched the cartoon read comics. Most of my friends know about DC only from the B:TAS, JLU, and Batman Beyond. Sames goes for the 90s Spider-man series.

Also, a quick wikipedia search shows Spencer Smythe was in the cartoon as well. So your point about people knowing Rhino from the cartoon is invalid regardless. If people remember Rhino from the cartoon, they likely remember Smythe as well.
I never actually read a comic book featuring The Rhino and yet I know he's a Spider-man villain and remember him, but forgot about Smythe.

By putting in classic villains they target Spider-man fans of all ages: the ones who grew up on the classic stories, ones that grew up watching the cartoons (60s or 90s versions), ones that read modern comics like Ultimate Spider-man, etc.

There you go. Newsflash, children watch cartoons. These movies are aimed at people from my generation. Not 40-year old men.
No, these movies are aimed at everyone. Which is why they try to incorporate elements from different eras of Spider-man. The Raimi film featured classic villains and their origins, but mixed in part of the Ultimate Spider-man story into it as well.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I recently rewatched the last one and still enjoy it despite a few issues. But this one seems like it's going to be Spider-Man 3 REDUX in the worst possible way.

I'm okay with setting up Green Goblin and Rhino and any other number of villains with cameos or name drops. But why have three villains in one shot? How are we to give a crap about Harry when he becomes the Green Goblin (or whatever they choose to call him) if it happens in the first movie we ever see him?
It looks like Spider-man 3 to me as well. Was Norman introduced in the reboot? Maybe Harry will become the Green Goblin and later Norman will don the suit to avenge his son?
Either way JM DeMatteis wrote an excellent saga for Harry Osborn that showed his decent into madness and his issues with his father and how it affected his own family life. I can't see why Raimi never adapted it, or why this new director for that matter (as far as one can tell by a single image on a poster).

Last edited by brayzie; 12-03-13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-03-13, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Yup. I stopped reading Amazing Spider-man around the time the Spider-Slayer storyline was going on and only remember the Smythe guy and his arachnid powers because of this thread. I now do remember the spider-slayers were in the 90s cartoon, but again, most people remember the more classic villains.
Which Spider-Slayer storyline? There are many. Spencer Smythe is a classic Spider-Man villain as well. He was created by Stan Lee in the 1960s. Spencer died in the late 1970s and then his son, Alistair, was introduced and carried on his father's legacy building more Spider-Slayer robots.

Was Norman introduced in the reboot?
Norman was never actually seen in the first movie, but his name was dropped a few times. Also, OsCorp is all over the movie.
Old 12-03-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Norman was never actually seen in the first movie, but his name was dropped a few times. Also, OsCorp is all over the movie.
Yeah and isn't he also supposedly the guy who is heard off screen in Connor's prison cell at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man? Kind of wondering if the new film is just going to establish that he's already a villain or what. I wouldn't really care to not see his origin if the Spider-Man universe was already established in the reboot series but it seems kind of weird that he was already around during or around the events of the first film. Unless he's a clue to Peter's parents or something.
Old 12-03-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

They finally using a couple ofmy favorite Spidey villains with Rhino and Electro and then screw them up.
Rhino looks like he is wearing an exo skeleton and Electro is just beyond dopey looking with that hooded jacket.
Old 12-03-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Oh yeah! I forgot. I remember seeing an old 60s issue where there's a robot with a video screen showing J. Jonah Jameson's face attacking Spider-man. Alistair Smythe is the one I remember from the comics and cartoon.
Old 12-03-13, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah and isn't he also supposedly the guy who is heard off screen in Connor's prison cell at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man?
Its never been confirmed who that guy was supposed to be.

There was a lightning bolt right before the guy suddenly appeared and then another bolt when he disappeared. Many people assumed that meant he was Electro. With Electro being in the next movie, that kind of makes sense. However, Electro is a black guy in the movie and the mystery guy was white.

Someone in the movie said Norman was sick and dying from some disease or something. If Norman is dying, I doubt that was him in the prison cell since that guy seemed perfectly fine. I assumed that the disease would be the lead-in for the Goblin formula as the miracle cure that would then backfire and turn him into the Green Goblin.

So who knows. Sony probably doesn't even know.

Originally Posted by whotony
They finally using a couple ofmy favorite Spidey villains with Rhino and Electro and then screw them up.
Rhino looks like he is wearing an exo skeleton and Electro is just beyond dopey looking with that hooded jacket.
Rhino is one of your favorite villains?

Originally Posted by brayzie
Oh yeah! I forgot. I remember seeing an old 60s issue where there's a robot with a video screen showing J. Jonah Jameson's face attacking Spider-man. Alistair Smythe is the one I remember from the comics and cartoon.
Yep. JJJ funded Spencer's building of the robots.

Old 12-03-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

That one above was a good story. I bought a comic that had several reprints of Spider-Slayers and there was one situation where the son unleashed every slayer ever on Spider-Man at once, so you can see the stuff from the 60's like the one above with the more modern stuff all on one page ready to pounce. That was pretty cool.

There was also one from around the time of the first Slayer where Spidey and JJJ were handcuffed together and had to cooperate, but I don't remember if it was a Slayer story. Spider-Man impressed JJJ with his scientific knowledge.
Old 12-03-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

Yep, the Rhino.

My first intro to most Spidey stuff was the cartoon fron 1967.
That show had all of the villains at one point and it was fun includiing Rhino.
My favorite might be the Hobgoblin because it was such a great background story until they retconned it 2 or 3 times.
Old 12-03-13, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluetoast
There was also one from around the time of the first Slayer where Spidey and JJJ were handcuffed together and had to cooperate, but I don't remember if it was a Slayer story. Spider-Man impressed JJJ with his scientific knowledge.
That was Amazing Spider-Man #192 with Spidey and JJJ handcuffed together with a bomb. It was the issue in which Spencer Smythe died. He had radiation poisoning from building all his Spider-Slayer robots, and since JJJ funded it all, Spencer blamed JJJ as much as Spidey and so tried to kill them both.

Originally Posted by whotony
My favorite might be the Hobgoblin because it was such a great background story until they retconned it 2 or 3 times.
The problem with Hobgoblin is that they dragged the mystery of his identity out way too long. The original writer intended for him to be Roderick Kingsley and all the clues were leading in that direction. That writer left before the mystery was ultimately revealed however, and the next writer ended up changing it and revealed Ned Leeds to be Hobgoblin, which made no sense whatsoever. Then they retconned Ned Leeds much later and changed it back to Roderick Kingsley all along. It was a freaking mess.
Old 12-04-13, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah and isn't he also supposedly the guy who is heard off screen in Connor's prison cell at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man? Kind of wondering if the new film is just going to establish that he's already a villain or what. I wouldn't really care to not see his origin if the Spider-Man universe was already established in the reboot series but it seems kind of weird that he was already around during or around the events of the first film. Unless he's a clue to Peter's parents or something.
You see a silhouette of Norman in the Oscorp building when Peter first enters. The character never appears, however. Norman will appear in this movie portrayed by Chris Cooper but apparently
Spoiler:
he never becomes the Goblin at any point.

As for the "Man In The Shadows" (as he was listed in the end credits), he was portrayed by Michael Massey (Funboy from The Crow and the actor who accidentally shot Brandon Lee) and Marc Webb said in an interview that the clue to his identity is the hat he has in his hands. The hat seems to be the same hat that Peter knocks down when he thinks he found his father during their game of hide and seek. So I can only assume is that the intention is that Peter's dad is still alive in this continuity and very much insane. Which is possible since the idea they had for the first movie (which was only alluded to in the final cut) was that Peter was in fact a lab experiment of Richard Parker (as were the spiders in the Oscorp lab) and that's part of why Peter was able to become Spider-Man.

That or there was a hat wearing villain from the comics that I simply don't remember.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-04-13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That explanation just makes me dislike the first movie even more!
Old 12-04-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That explanation just makes me dislike the first movie even more!
For some reason it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 12-04-13, 12:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Three villains? Well, it probably won't be as bad as Batman and Robin, I guess.

Unless this gets through the roof reviews, I'm not bothering.
Old 12-04-13, 07:47 AM
Banned

That or there was a hat wearing villain from the comics that I simply don't remember.
Frederick Foswell... the "Big Man" of crime before Kingpin was introduced.

I doubt the mystery man in the movie is Foswell, but you never know.
Old 12-04-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I certainly remember this dude, seen Saturday mornings on fox.
So again, you = everyone?

Maybe if you're retarded. I was actually intelligent as a child, so I could remember cartoon characters' names.
Citation needed.
Old 12-04-13, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pretty much love all the villains they've chosen for the franchise. Unfortunately whether I liked them in the films themselves is another thing. Alfred Molina was awesome as Doc Ock, didn't like certain aspects of him but when he was bad it rocked.
Old 12-04-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as this movie is concerned, it doesn't matter if people know who these characters are from any source. It appears they will have so little resemblance to their counterparts in other mediums that all it would do is cause more confusion in those with a higher level of familiarity.
Bingo. When I first saw that poster I thought that Electro was Hydro, I figured that was GG but GG mixed with the Joker, and a spider slayer. The designs for all these villains look so terrible I honestly can't think of worse looking villains in any superhero movie ever.

Which is possible since the idea they had for the first movie (which was only alluded to in the final cut) was that Peter was in fact a lab experiment of Ben Parker (as were the spiders in the Oscorp lab) and that's part of why Peter was able to become Spider-Man.
Wow. If that was true, that should have got Webb fired right off the bat. That makes the clone saga sound genius.
Old 12-04-13, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Alfred Molina was awesome as Doc Ock, didn't like certain aspects of him but when he was bad it rocked.
Doc Ock was BY FAR the only villain any of these Spider-Man movies have gotten anywhere close to being right.

I do wish we could have gotten some Doc Ock/Aunt May romance though. Aunt May loves the tentacle sex. (Seriously, they were romantically involved in the comics at one point in time.)

Originally Posted by robin2099
The designs for all these villains look so terrible I honestly can't think of worse looking villains in any superhero movie ever.
Schumacher's Bane
Galactus as a cloud
Power Ranger Goblin
Old 12-04-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Schumacher's Bane
Galactus as a cloud
Power Ranger Goblin
To be fair while that portrayal was overall awful the character design was fairly accurate to the comics (other than having an overly veiny look to his skin).
Old 12-04-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Wow. If that was true, that should have got Webb fired right off the bat. That makes the clone saga sound genius.
IIRC, The "Peter as experiment" was heavily hinted in the initial trailers but was then dropped for the final cut.
Old 12-04-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Which is possible since the idea they had for the first movie (which was only alluded to in the final cut) was that Peter was in fact a lab experiment of Ben Parker (as were the spiders in the Oscorp lab) and that's part of why Peter was able to become Spider-Man.
Lab experiment of Ben Parker? Do you mean Richard Parker?
Old 12-04-13, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Lab experiment of Ben Parker? Do you mean Richard Parker?
Old 12-04-13, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
So again, you = everyone?
Yes.
Old 12-04-13, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's safe to say that Dragon Tattoo speaks for 6 year olds everywhere.
Old 12-04-13, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think it's safe to say that Dragon Tattoo speaks for 6 year olds everywhere.
I think it's safe to say you speak for a------s everywhere.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.