DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Will there ever be a Harry Potter reboot? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/593246-will-there-ever-harry-potter-reboot.html)

whoopdido 08-01-11 09:29 PM

Will there ever be a Harry Potter reboot?

Pretty simple question. What do you think and why?

I guess I've never understood why certain movies get remade over and over (Phantom of the Opera, Beauty and the Beast, Superman, Spiderman) while a movie like Gone With the Wind has never been remade. Maybe it will someday but it's been over 70 years and still no remake.

Now that Harry Potter is done and over with, what do you think the chances are that at some point--5, 10 years from now a new Harry Potter series will come out? I would say why not? The movies were directed by 4 different people so I don't think any one person "owned" the franchise, although the style of all 8 movies were very similar. So much was left out or changed from the books that even though the basic story would remain the same, it seems like enough could be added or changed to make the movies decidely different from the originals. I believe the books are still quite popular and I have to believe that everything Harry Potter will remain popular. Each movie did close to a billion dollars and I would also assume that if Rowling wrote another book and that book was made into a movie it would also do a billion dollars.

Wouldn't it seem reasonable that at some point the studio will say "Hey 20 years ago we made a series that grossed us like $8 billion, why don't we try it again?" Since it had a track record, maybe they would even be willing to hire one director to do all 7 or possibly more films and throw say $2 billion into the pot right away and film all the movies at once.

Or what about Lord of the Rings? Again, a series that took in like $3 billion and I can only assume the Hobbit will bring in another billion so the 4 films will most likely gross $4 billion, so why wouldn't the studio want to give it another shot in 20 years?

Mr. Salty 08-01-11 09:32 PM

Re: Will there ever be a Harry Potter reboot?

1. Wrong forum.

2. Inevitably.

whoopdido 08-01-11 09:34 PM

Oops. Sorry. Yeah totally wrong forum. Can somebody move it please.

starman9000 08-01-11 09:35 PM

I could see it as a TV series.

Deftones 08-01-11 09:37 PM

I totally was considering posting a thread similar to this. For some reason, I was thinking about if Star Wars would ever get remade.

DVD Polizei 08-01-11 09:53 PM

I expect a remake as early as 2013 even, or some stupid split-off television series, focusing on a few aspects.

whoopdido 08-01-11 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 10875324)
I expect a remake as early as 2013 even, or some stupid split-off television series, focusing on a few aspects.

The Luna Lovegood Hour?

PopcornTreeCt 08-01-11 09:57 PM

I think I'd be okay with 20 years but no sooner.

resinrats 08-01-11 10:25 PM

They couldn't film it at once. At least one book per year if they want to keep the child actors. Harry starts book 1 around 10 and is 17 by the final book so you have to let the kids grow as the characters grow. I also think it would probably be good as multiple miniserieses on TV. Keep as much from the book as possible and maybe add extra scenes.

Bronkster 08-01-11 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10875306)
I totally was considering posting a thread similar to this. For some reason, I was thinking about if Star Wars would ever get remade.

Lucas remakes Star Wars more often than I change underwear.

Deftones 08-01-11 11:15 PM

I mean, remade in the sense that when Lucas eventually dies and the rights move to someone else (who the fuck knows), would they remake the original ones. Not remade in the sense where they keep adding new shit to the original movies. ;)

Th0r S1mpson 08-01-11 11:27 PM

No, too much work.

MoviePage 08-01-11 11:40 PM

I don't think that there will be a Harry Potter reboot within the next 20 years at least, no.

One of the main reasons why comic book reboots can happen so frequently is because most of those universes have a lot of different source stories and characters to pull from. A wealth of various interpretations of the superhero and other characters already exist, as is the case with Batman, and so they lend themselves more easily to storytelling flexibility. Stories based on books, like HP or LOTR, are mostly set in stone and there's little reason, or desire, to see a "different take" on the story. The only thing that would justify a reboot (besides the obvious profits) is a significant advance in CGI technology.

whoopdido 08-02-11 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 10875466)
I don't think that there will be a Harry Potter reboot within the next 20 years at least, no.

One of the main reasons why comic book reboots can happen so frequently is because most of those universes have a lot of different source stories and characters to pull from. A wealth of various interpretations of the superhero and other characters already exist, as is the case with Batman, and so they lend themselves more easily to storytelling flexibility. Stories based on books, like HP or LOTR, are mostly set in stone and there's little reason, or desire, to see a "different take" on the story. The only thing that would justify a reboot (besides the obvious profits) is a significant advance in CGI technology.

I think the profits are the main justification. I mean Harry Potter has been an absolute gold mine for the last decade. It's going to suck for the powers that be to look at the financial statements over the next few years and not see the Potter revenue on there.

riotinmyskull 08-02-11 06:48 AM

:suicide:

kd5 08-02-11 07:09 AM

Reboots...:gah: -kd5-

Trout 08-02-11 08:04 AM

So we don't call them re-makes anymore? Now they are re-boots?

whoopdido 08-02-11 08:37 AM

Call it whatever you want. I've heard both terms.

DonnachaOne 08-02-11 08:44 AM

They could definitely keep the series going with dtv Warner Premiere films about side characters, using excised subplots from the films. Warner Bros does a tidy business with dtv animated fare, too - you could redo the whole series in "Harry Potter: The Animated Adventures", whether it be new adaptations of the original source material or a tv series following the kids with original weekly stories. Not only would that be carrying the fire for a new generation of viewers, but the style of animated Potter would be a whole new opportunity for toy and videogame spinoffs. This is WB's Star Wars - I expect Warner to glean whatever they can from the series as long as JK Rowling lets them. It's not the time yet for new live action adaptations, however; the home video, toy and video game licenses still have ten years of profitability left in them, if not more.

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 10875650)
So we don't call them re-makes anymore? Now they are re-boots?

I see them as reboots when the intention is to start not just one film over, but the franchise, using the same characters but not necessarily the same story, when the original franchise has burnt out or faded away. The Amazing Spider-man is not a remake of Spider-man, but it is designed to restart the franchise anew, hence reboot.

I wouldn't call a new Harry Potter film a reboot, since the original franchise ran its course. Nor would it be a remake, because that implies the film is the source material, not the book series (just like John Carpenter's The Thing is not a remake of The Thing From Another World, but rather a new adaptation of Who Goes There?).

rw2516 08-02-11 08:55 AM

Only if the books are as popular with future kids as they are now. I don't think so.
Take the upcoming Dark Shadows movie. It'll make money because of Depp and inflation but won't have lines around the block at theaters like the 1970 film.
The world stopped whenever Dark Shadows came on in it's heyday. You couldn't find a kid outside from 3pm-3:30 during the summer. It's was broadcast twice a day for kids who got home from school to late to catch the first airing. The 1991 remake which was waaay better than the original flopped.

kgrogers1979 08-02-11 08:55 AM

Personally I would rather see a Harry Potter TV series than new movies. The fourth through seventh books were just too long to comfortably adapt into a two hour movie. Even though the Deathly Hallows was split into two movies, it still left a lot of stuff out.

madcougar 08-02-11 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10875306)

Me too! Justin Bieber as Luke, Selena Gomez as Princess Leia, Josh Holloway as Han, Denzel Washington as Lando, and Kenneth Branagh as Kenobi.

You're welcome...

Ash Ketchum 08-02-11 09:12 AM

I'd prefer a Japanese animated series based on Harry Potter. In fact, they've done lots of things like it, e.g. "Witch Hunter Robin" and "Magic User's Club."

al_bundy 08-02-11 09:34 AM

maybe in 50 years after the author dies and her drug addicted grand kids who have no job and need some cash will license the IP again

Drexl 08-02-11 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10875598)
:suicide:

:lol: Again?