Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Battleship (2012) -- Liam Neeson/Taylor Kitsch -- Director: Peter Berg

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Battleship (2012) -- Liam Neeson/Taylor Kitsch -- Director: Peter Berg

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Battleship (2012) -- Liam Neeson/Taylor Kitsch -- Director: Peter Berg

So John Carter bombs and universal runs to recut a new trailer for Battleship. Ha. The movie still looks lame.
Old 03-16-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

All I know is the battleships better have wodden decks... OR ELSE!

I was in the navy and was station on the USS IOWA BB-61. All 4 us battleships had wodden decks. =)
Old 03-16-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
All I know is the battleships better have wodden decks... OR ELSE!

I was in the navy and was station on the USS IOWA BB-61. All 4 us battleships had wodden decks. =)
(Is this a setup for a joke?)

What's a wodden deck?
Old 03-16-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
(Is this a setup for a joke?)

What's a wodden deck?
Same thing as a wooden deck but without spellcheck
Old 03-16-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Duh! yeah... meant wooden decks!

That is what happens when you try and speed type before lunch break.
Old 03-16-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
So John Carter bombs and universal runs to recut a new trailer for Battleship. Ha. The movie still looks lame.
Is John Carter really that much of a bomb with $108m+ in a week?
Old 03-16-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Stuff blows up real good, the effects look cool, and the Navy seems to be the heroes in this. I will prolly see this in the theater. I like the way some of the aliens' projectiles look like Battleship game pegs.
Old 03-16-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Technically, because it only made 30 million in the U.S.
Old 03-18-12, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yea because I doubt it will make back its 250 million value + advertising and marketing budget of prob about 40 million.
Old 03-18-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Yea because I doubt it will make back its 250 million value + advertising and marketing budget of prob about 40 million.

Try closer to $100 million, if not more.
Old 03-19-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Where the hell did they spend $100 million on advertising. Cos I sure as hell didn't see much marketing for John Carter. And I say that fully aware that a lot of that money gets spent on advertising concepts that never see the light of day.
Old 03-19-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Where the hell did they spend $100 million on advertising. Cos I sure as hell didn't see much marketing for John Carter. And I say that fully aware that a lot of that money gets spent on advertising concepts that never see the light of day.
Remember, it's called the PRINTS & ADVERTISING budget.

When you think about it:
  • The film debuted in 3749 locations domestically with who know how many thousands of 35mm prints in existence. On a larger scale, Disney released this on a worldwide scale simultaneously as the US release. Disney pays for each of those 35mm prints and those could cost anywhere from a few thousand to $30,000 per print.
  • Disney also has to pay for those RealD glasses. Most studios pay around $3 million per 3D film to have those glasses distributed to audience members.
  • The film had an IMAX release. Disney had to put it through the DMR process which is another few million. Unlike recent 3D releases, Disney released the flick in both digital and 70mm IMAX venues. 70mm IMAX prints aren't cheap either.
  • Andrew Stanton wanted Led Zeppelin's Kashmir to play during a trailer. Led Zeppelin costs money.

... and so on, so on, so on. Those fees aren't built into the production budget. Stanton and crew spent $250 million just putting the final product together. Disney has to spend more to actually get the film out there to be seen.

In John Carter's case, Disney had alternative advertising campaigns ready to go, but Stanton rejected a lot of what they had to offer.
Old 03-19-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I didn't know the prints were included in the advertising budget.

Wait, Disney had promotional material ready and Stanton said "no"? How much worse could it have been than the ads/posters we've seen? Was he also the one that chose a generic title like John Carter? If they didn't want to use A Princess of Mars they could have at least added the "of Mars" to the title they chose.
Old 03-19-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wait, Disney had promotional material ready and Stanton said "no"? How much worse could it have been than the ads/posters we've seen? Was he also the one that chose a generic title like John Carter? If they didn't want to use A Princess of Mars they could have at least added the "of Mars" to the title they chose.
Yes.

There was a link to the NYT article from last week in the Carter thread about the whole debacle. Disney gave Stanton the clout to guide (and ultimately approve) the film's advertising.

Obviously, Stanton is a fucking retard because he guided the film's advertising right into the gutter.
Old 04-12-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Guess this opened yesterday overseas:

Originally Posted by Deadline
Battleship debuted Wednesday in Australia, Korea, Belgium, France, and Switzerland, and previewed in 11 other territories, “and we are off to a very good start,” a Universal exec tells me.

The Day One estimate for April 11th currently has the film grossing $7.4M. Best is that the film jumped to #1 in every market where it opened or previewed except France where it succumbed to an extremely popular local French film. And this despite a crowded international marketplace with The Hunger Games, Titanic 3D, American Pie Reunion, and The Wrath Of The Titans atop box office over Easter weekend.

– The movie opened in Australia today and Battleship is #1 with an early estimate of $1.1M for the day, which is at the same level as Iron Man and Thor and twice as big as John Carter, and three times as big as Wrath Of The Titans

– In Southeast Asia, where extravagant sci-fi appeals to local audiences, Battleship is “dominating the box office with Korea leading the pack,” I’m told. Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand also had a very strong showing. In each of those countries, Batttleship opened to #1.

– In Korea, Battleship opened to $2.8M – the third biggest opening day of all time for an English language film. That’s behind only Transformers 3 and Shrek 3 even though Battleship is an original film which usually takes longer to gain traction overseas than sequels. It’s also the biggest opening for an English language non-sequel in Korea ever.

– Preview results in the UK were very strong. Battleship grossed $1.5M (£928K) for the day. As a comp, previews for Thor in the UK were £730K and Iron Man £670K. There’s another day of previews today before opening officially on Friday.

– France opened with $870K including previews. Battleship opened bigger than Hunger Games, John Carter and Wrath Of Titans.

– Belgium opened #1 with $132k, which is the biggest opening day of 2012.
I imagine it will do quite well in S. Korea.

The reviews also started coming out:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battleship/

Currently 43%

"Overlong and underwritten even by the standards of summer f/x extravaganzas, this Battleship will nonetheless float with many on the strength of its boyish, eager-to-please razzle-dazzle." -Variety

"Impressive visual effects and Berg's epic set pieces fight against an armada of cinematic clichés and some truly awful dialogue." - Hollywood Reporter
Old 04-12-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, Universal is really over hyping this.

$1.1 million in Australia isn't that great. American Reunion and The Hunger Games have done more than that in a single day within the past five days alone in Australia.

Flip to the UK where Battleship did $1.5 million in a single day. Again, nothing to sneeze at when Titanic, The Hunger Games, Mirror Mirror and The Pirates! have done the same exact things during a single day recently.

France? Titanic actually did significantly more last week. I don't know what Sur la piste du Marsupilami is, but as the article mentioned, is dominating in France ($11 million weekend).

The jury is still out on how it'll preform in the United States. Usually, the rule of thumb is the film that opens during the third weekend of May usually does pretty well whereas the films that open the second weekend of May do not. For example:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides did $90 million last year.
  • Shrek Forever After did $70 million the year before.
However, the year before that (2009) was an exception to the rule as nobody expected Star Trek to be the juggernaut that it was.

This year, Battleship has competition as Dark Shadows and The Dictator are both (surprisingly) tracking pretty well for films coming out the second week of May.

Who knows. Battleship could be a surprise hit here that nobody is expecting. Or it could kill Kitsch's career even more.

I'm still assuming the latter.
Old 04-14-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it for the most part. Some of the FX is quite and then the spoil it with really bad green screen work. It's very jingoistic which is very corny. Some very funny plot points.
BUT.
This is home cinema demo stuff. The sound is amazing.
You will see loads of "faces", Berg favourites.
Old 04-16-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Wow, Universal is really over hyping this.

Or it could kill Kitsch's career even more.

Yea it is bombing overseas with 58 million already since 4/11/2012.

Taylor Kitsch will not be hurt from this ensemble pic. Get over it.
Old 04-22-12, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's now up to $79MM, with some of that coming from me.
Old 04-22-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

France? Titanic actually did significantly more last week. I don't know what Sur la piste du Marsupilami is, but as the article mentioned, is dominating in France ($11 million weekend).
Remember this little guy from the Disney Channel in the 90's? Apparently he's big in France, like Asterix, etc. The trailer only had him for like 5 seconds though.

Old 04-22-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Marsupilamis are awesome, although I felt deflated when I saw their Disney series (that aired sometime in the mid-90s).
Old 04-27-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From TMZ:

Universal Studios claims its new big budget movie "Battleship" is in jeopardy -- all thanks to a low budget straight-to-DVD knockoff that's coming out ... and now, it's suing.

Universal filed the lawsuit against The Asylum -- a production company that makes low-budget straight-to-DVD "mockbusters" with similar titles to their big budget inspirations ... i.e. "Titanic 2," "The Terminators," and "Transmorphers." Just look at its IMDb page.

Now, according to the lawsuit, Asylum's up to no good once again -- releasing a DVD called "American Battleship" on May 22nd ... just 4 days after the big budget "Battleship" is set for theatrical release in the U.S.

According to the lawsuit, Universal spent $100 million producing its film ... and $30 million promoting it in the U.S. alone -- and Asylum's trying to piggy back on its hard work.

To prove its point, Universal points out the laundry list of ways "American Battleship" is a rip-off -- including the plot ... and the hilariously similar movie posters (above).

According to the lawsuit, Universal is the exclusive licensee of the film rights to the classic naval combat board game -- and Asylum's stepping all over its business. (Universal also calls its movie "highly anticipated," but wishing doesn't make it so.)

Universal is suing for unspecified damages -- i.e. many, many millions

at the thought that an Asylum knockoff is somehow tainting Universal's mega-turd.
Old 04-27-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
at the thought that an Asylum knockoff is somehow tainting Universal's mega-turd.
You haven't seen the movie.
Old 04-27-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
You haven't seen the movie.
You don't know that!

... but you're right
Old 04-27-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.