Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 11:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 'Rock of Ages' (2012) [with Cruise, Baldwin, Brand]

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Yep. It was actually written by the Bee Gees (I guess to keep the SNF connection to Travolta going) but sung by Frankie Valli (again, I guess to link it to the 1950s time period). The famous song done by Travolta and Newton-John was also concocted for the movie. Oh, and Sandy wasn't Australian either.

you mean 'Sandy' (the song)? I missed that song when I recently saw a production of the play at the Olney Theater - which seemed to suggest that there was even more dancing in the stage version than the film - just watching the stage version made me exhausted.
Old 10-04-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The following songs, IIRC, don't exist in the stage musical: "Hopelessly Devoted To You", "Grease", "You're The One That I Want", and "Sandy". One trip to Google could clear this up for sure, but I know those four are out.

There are a bunch of songs from the stage musical that were cut out of the movie, and several feature songs were relegated to background music -- songs playing on radios, jukeboxes, Sha Na Na, etc. -- like "Freddy My Love" and "Those Magic Changes".
Old 10-04-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen the stage musical 4 times (3 on Broadway, 1 in Pittsburgh). One of the most enjoyable shows I've ever seen and it truly is an experience. (The little "lighters" they gave out were awesome. Some of my nieces' favorite toys. haha) At the first show I saw, a Saturday night preview on BW just days before opening, the crowd was so raucous and rollicking, that I can't imagine anyone not walking out of there smiling.

Ever since I heard they were making it in to a movie, I had my doubts and the moment Cruise's name was brought up, I was definitely out for sure. I imagine quite a few people walked out of theaters not smiling.

I'm not even sure that when this is a Red Box pick that I will watch it. Though, that might just be the best way to do so. We'll see. But the stage version is epic!
Old 10-04-12, 04:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Yep. It was actually written by the Bee Gees (I guess to keep the SNF connection to Travolta going) but sung by Frankie Valli (again, I guess to link it to the 1950s time period). The famous song done by Travolta and Newton-John was also concocted for the movie. Oh, and Sandy wasn't Australian either.
Grease was made in 1975, Saturday Night Fever in 1979, so using the Bee Gees for Grease couldn't have been because they had worked on SNF with Travolta.

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
I've seen the stage musical 4 times (3 on Broadway, 1 in Pittsburgh). One of the most enjoyable shows I've ever seen and it truly is an experience. (The little "lighters" they gave out were awesome. Some of my nieces' favorite toys. haha) At the first show I saw, a Saturday night preview on BW just days before opening, the crowd was so raucous and rollicking, that I can't imagine anyone not walking out of there smiling.

Ever since I heard they were making it in to a movie, I had my doubts and the moment Cruise's name was brought up, I was definitely out for sure. I imagine quite a few people walked out of theaters not smiling.

I'm not even sure that when this is a Red Box pick that I will watch it. Though, that might just be the best way to do so. We'll see. But the stage version is epic!
Cruise was the only good part of the movie.
Old 10-04-12, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Grease was made in 1975, Saturday Night Fever in 1979, so using the Bee Gees for Grease couldn't have been because they had worked on SNF with Travolta.

true, but Stacie Jaxx the character is really more of a shit (in the stage version) than Cruise portrayed him to be (in the film version)
Old 10-04-12, 05:34 PM
Banned by request

Is that Cruise's fault? He's not written as a shit in the script. I blame Shankman and the team that adapted it to film.
Old 10-04-12, 05:36 PM

Is that Cruise's fault? He's not written as a shit in the script. I blame Shankman and the team that adapted it to film.
yup... you're preaching to the choir there Supermallet.
Old 10-04-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SNF was '77, Grease was '78. I was in elementary school at the time but I remember it well... every kid wanted a leather jacket after Grease. Even in 95 degree South FL weather. Lunatics.
Hough's dumper, too.
Old 10-04-12, 07:08 PM
Banned by request

Well, shit. I had my dates completely wrong.
Old 10-04-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A shandeh un a charpeh!
Old 04-01-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Godawful. Some of my favorite 80s songs completely ruined by bland, soulless performances. Mamma Mia proved that this genre can work if done correctly.