Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Earth (dir. Mike Cahill) s: Brit Marling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Another Earth (dir. Mike Cahill) s: Brit Marling

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Another Earth

I think a lot of people are dismissing this based on the trailers and lack of critical praise but this is one of the best movies of the year. I had originally said it looked like a great premise that was squandered but after watching the film I cannot imagine a better story revolving around the discovery of another Earth.

If I had to describe it with one word I'd call it authentic. The emotions, feelings, the actions, and the dialogue were all genuine. There are complaints about the sci-fi-ness of the plot. There is very minimal suspension of belief necessary. I found that it was explained very thoroughly (reminded of Apollo 13 with scientists talking on TV) and I didn't find anything mind bogglingly ridiculous like Signs for example.

Great movie. Absolutely loved it and makes you think long and hard afterwards.
Old 01-15-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally got to see this. What a great film! The writing and performances are simply top notch. For me, it's definitely one of the year's very best movies.
Old 01-17-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Spoiler:
What that final shot seems to say is that, no matter how much she may have desperately hoped she could change things - that things could have worked out differently - in reality one cannot take back what has already been done, one cannot change the past. When she sees her double - something that pretty much confirms that events played out nearly identically on the other Earth - she realizes that she will finally have to deal with the full brunt of what she did, with no hope that somehow, somewhere things were different.
Really? I just saw this last night and I would have to disagree.
Spoiler:
That final shot shows us that E-2 Rhoda used her ticket and did not give it away to John as she did on E-1. This tells me that events did NOT play out the same way on E-2. If events played out identically, wouldn't that have been E-2 John in the final shot? In fact if events wer playing out identically, one would never be able to see oneself because if E-1 self travelled to E-2, E-2 self would be travelling to E-1 syncronously. I was led to believe by the way E-2 Rhoda was dressed and looked in that final shot that E-2 Rhoda did not experience the crash and prison that E-1 Rhoda did. The beauty of the ending is it's left up to viewer speculation. But this was my reaction. I think maybe even E-1 John found Rhoda on E-2 and sent her back to tell E-1 Rhoda that his family is alive on E-2...but that may be reaching a bit too far.

Edited to add:
Furthermore...
Spoiler:
Rhoda had already been dealing with the brunt of what she did. She had been dealing with it for 4 years and the whole movie. She only got that glimmer of hope that things could be different on the other earth at the very end of the film. Up until that time she was just wanting escape.

Last edited by taa455; 01-17-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taa455
Really? I just saw this last night and I would have to disagree.
Spoiler:
That final shot shows us that E-2 Rhoda used her ticket and did not give it away to John as she did on E-1. This tells me that events did NOT play out the same way on E-2. If events played out identically, wouldn't that have been E-2 John in the final shot? In fact if events wer playing out identically, one would never be able to see oneself because if E-1 self travelled to E-2, E-2 self would be travelling to E-1 syncronously. I was led to believe by the way E-2 Rhoda was dressed and looked in that final shot that E-2 Rhoda did not experience the crash and prison that E-1 Rhoda did. The beauty of the ending is it's left up to viewer speculation. But this was my reaction. I think maybe even E-1 John found Rhoda on E-2 and sent her back to tell E-1 Rhoda that his family is alive on E-2...but that may be reaching a bit too far.

Edited to add:
Furthermore...
Spoiler:
Rhoda had already been dealing with the brunt of what she did. She had been dealing with it for 4 years and the whole movie. She only got that glimmer of hope that things could be different on the other earth at the very end of the film. Up until that time she was just wanting escape.

Spoiler:
I felt the same way when I first saw it. I thought that E-2 Rhoda never got into the car accident and she went on the trip as an astrophysicist and not a tourist.

However, I think the other explanation makes more sense but like you said it's up for interpretation.
Old 01-29-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just saw this and was thoroughly disappointed. I think it was basically the poor acting of the lead actress that did it. I never felt anything for the character and her struggles.

Oh well at least there's still another great movie from last year that deals with a new planet approaching Earth.
Old 01-29-12, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the DVD not too long ago, I think I'll watch it soon.
Old 01-29-12, 05:32 PM

I thought Brit Marling did a fine job as the lead.
Old 01-29-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, wasn't too impressed by Tom Cruise's cousin's acting, though.
Old 11-13-12, 11:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked the movie. The other earth played a very minor part, but still added a critical "spice" to the film.
Old 06-10-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another Earth

Has anyone watched this? I've been waiting for it to be available for rental on iTunes and it finally did a few weeks ago. I just watched it this last weekend and I *really* liked it a lot. I'm a big fan of sci-fi movies where the sci-fi takes a backseat to the story, but adds an interesting element that allows the movie to pose philosophical questions. Gattaca is the prime example of a movie like this.

Anyhow, great acting, good storyline, and well-paced. My sister actually went to school with Brit Marling at Georgetown. She's talented enough that I think she's going to start getting into pretty big roles in Hollywood. Interestingly, she co-wrote the script for this movie.
Old 06-10-13, 11:09 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...her-earth.html

I know the search engine is shitty but there's already a thread about this flick. Which is fantastic bt-dubs. Although it hasn't been posted in in a while.
Old 06-10-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah yeah, I did a search but didn't see it. Thanks. I guess anyone who would've watched this, already watched it long ago. Oh well.