DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/592595-harry-potter-deathly-hallows-part-ii-yates-2011-%97-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 07-11-11 08:46 AM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" (Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Alan Rickman)

Release Date:
7/15/2011

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense battle sequences, and blood is seen on clothes of the characters, dead and alive, but there is no clear sight of injury of these characters, one use of the word "bitch" which is delivered to a character, aggressively. Some mild language is present such as "bloody hell", battles between wizards, witches, students, and Deatheaters throughout)

Running Time:
130min. (2h. 10m.)

Budget:
$250 million (includes 1st part)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The final chapter begins as Harry, Ron, and Hermione continue their quest of finding and destroying the Dark Lord's three remaining Horcruxes, the magical items responsible for his immortality. But as the mystical Deathly Hallows are uncovered, and Voldemort finds out about their mission, the biggest battle begins and life as they know it will never be the same again.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.7 (9,944 votes as of 7/16/11)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:212 Rotten:06 (97% as of 7/16/11)

Metacritic:
87 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 7/16/11)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="363"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/39208"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/39208" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="363"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://comicbook.com/files/2011/06/h...vie-poster.jpg

RichC2 07-11-11 08:56 AM

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

The two negative reviews are from different critics on the same site. Rest of the reviews are pretty great.

al_bundy 07-11-11 08:58 AM

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

If this gets good reviews I might go back and watch the others. I saw the first or second in the theater and it bored me

CharlieK 07-11-11 09:13 AM

Where does that rating description come from? It sure is mighty detailed.

TGM 07-11-11 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10849286)
If this gets good reviews I might go back and watch the others. I saw the first or second in the theater and it bored me

the first two are very "kiddie" oriented... it's part three where the series shifted into more adult themes, with a much darker tone.

RichC2 07-11-11 09:49 AM

#3 was the first one that felt like an actual movie and not a mini-series crammed into movie format.

OldBoy 07-11-11 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 10849300)
Where does that rating description come from? It sure is mighty detailed.

combo of me and IMDb.

looking forward to this after plowing through the last few and really enjoying Part I.

orangecrush 07-11-11 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10849468)
combo of me and IMDb.

looking forward to this after plowing through the last few and really enjoying Part I.

It would be awesome if that was the official wording. I am super excited for this. We will probably be seeing it monday.

asianxcore 07-11-11 01:57 PM

So excited to see this. Hopefully my g/f and I can catch a showing this weekend.

GuessWho 07-11-11 02:18 PM

WGN-TV's reviewer said thias morning that it's the best film of the year so far

Quake1028 07-11-11 02:25 PM

Best friend and I are catching this at least 2 times this weekend, once in IMAX and once regular. I expect nothing less than a ***** effort.

CharlieK 07-11-11 04:04 PM

Let's say this movie kicks a lot of ass, maintains the critical acclaim, and makes a shit ton of money - what do you think the chances are that it gets the Best Picture Oscar to reward the series, a la Return of the King? How about just a nomination for the effort?

Kal-El 07-11-11 04:13 PM

My wife and I already got midnight tickets for Thursday night. We were going to the Part 1&2 marathon but we figured we can just watch Part 1 in line on the iPad. :-)

david12 07-11-11 06:11 PM

Based on all the reviews that are coming out, I do think the movie deserves Best Picture consideration. Aside from Star Trek (only one that's popping into my mind) has there been a series of movies this expansive or long? The fact that the quality of the movies never dipped, interest never waned, and that they have been so f'n good...the academy shouldn't look past it because it's 'kids stuff.' Sounds like they have capped the series with the best film they could make. Can't wait to watch.

DeanoBKN 07-11-11 06:18 PM

I already have my midnight tickets.

GreenVulture 07-11-11 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 10849814)
Let's say this movie kicks a lot of ass, maintains the critical acclaim, and makes a shit ton of money - what do you think the chances are that it gets the Best Picture Oscar to reward the series, a la Return of the King? How about just a nomination for the effort?

Well, on one hand the movie will likely be just like the previous installments--reliably mediocre. But on the other hand, considering that the past 7 and a half months have been pretty poor and there are 10 Best Picture slots to fill, I'd say there's a decent chance that it will get nominated.

RichC2 07-12-11 10:11 AM

The movie currently has 45 reviews on rottentomatoese, 43 are positive and 2 are mildly negative.

The average overall score is an 8.4 out of 10 (4.2 out of 5).

Looks like this will be the most highly rated Potter since Azkaban and overall.

terrycloth 07-12-11 10:30 AM

i love this series and imo one of the few series that imo get better with each installment which is quite impressive considering. im waiting on reviews for 3d to decide how im seeing this film in either imax 3d or regular 2d

pinata242 07-12-11 10:46 AM

My kids and I started our marathon Friday night doing one movie a night. We'll see HBP tomorrow night and then the double-feature at Cinemark at 9pm Thursday culminating in the midnight premiere. We are all ridiculously excited. We've got our costumes ready.

This will be the first midnight showing my kids (10 and 7) attend and I'm going to make sure they do it right. It's the end of an era and there won't be anything like this for a long, long time - if ever. I just hope the movie lives up to my expectations, though I have zero doubts. Part 1 was probably my favorite movie of the series to-date. This should exceed that.

Deftones 07-12-11 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 10849322)
the first two are very "kiddie" oriented... it's part three where the series shifted into more adult themes, with a much darker tone.

and this is what really turned me off from them. i've not seen a single one of the movies. i'll probably wait until this last one is on blu ray and then blow through them all.

terrycloth 07-12-11 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10850789)
My kids and I started our marathon Friday night doing one movie a night. We'll see HBP tomorrow night and then the double-feature at Cinemark at 9pm Thursday culminating in the midnight premiere. We are all ridiculously excited. We've got our costumes ready.

This will be the first midnight showing my kids (10 and 7) attend and I'm going to make sure they do it right. It's the end of an era and there won't be anything like this for a long, long time - if ever. I just hope the movie lives up to my expectations, though I have zero doubts. Part 1 was probably my favorite movie of the series to-date. This should exceed that.

i took my nieces to theyre first midnite showing for part 1 was alot more fun then id have thought, I figured it be mostly younger kids but turned out to be a nice mix and could tell they were all diehard fans and made the exp worth it.

and kudos to you for doing it right an going all out itll give em a great memory. im taking my nieces to theyre first zombie walk and we have gone all out.

Ash Ketchum 07-12-11 11:17 AM

Not a lot of reviews in the "Reviews" thread, are there?

covenant 07-12-11 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10850806)
and this is what really turned me off from them. i've not seen a single one of the movies. i'll probably wait until this last one is on blu ray and then blow through them all.

My wife has been catching up with the series and she couldn't get into the first one for the same reason. So I skipped forward to the third movie. Gary Oldman and the more mature tone drew her in.

Goat3001 07-12-11 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 10849814)

A nomination maybe... but as a whole there wasn't a single movie in this series that was even close to being on par with any of the LOTR movies. The HP series has been very enjoyable... but those LOTR movies were all epic and each one deserved it's Best Pic Nod. Considering that none of the HP movies got one I don't think this one will outright win just because the series was good.

But I haven't seen this yet (I have my midnight tix like the rest of you) so maybe this one will be THAT DAMN GOOD and deserve a Oscar Nomination in it's own right. It's certainly possible.

mhg83 07-12-11 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 10851230)
A nomination maybe... but as a whole there wasn't a single movie in this series that was even close to being on par with any of the LOTR movies. The HP series has been very enjoyable... but those LOTR movies were all epic and each one deserved it's Best Pic Nod. Considering that none of the HP movies got one I don't think this one will outright win just because the series was good.

But I haven't seen this yet (I have my midnight tix like the rest of you) so maybe this one will be THAT DAMN GOOD and deserve a Oscar Nomination in it's own right. It's certainly possible.

If they are faithful to the book most definitely yes.