Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
29.27%
32.93%
28.05%
7.32%
2.44%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
I'd rather see Harry Plowher and the Deathly Swallows.
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Finally caught this and while I rated it 4 stars, thinking about it some more i'd probably drop it another half star. It was a very good conclusion to the series, and I'm most impressed at the quality of all the films over the last decade. Very entertaining. My problem was mostly not remembering much from Part 1 or the books, so I was a bit lost in the beginning. The action was a bit of a letdown; I think I expected a grander scale during the Hogwarts showdown, although funny enough the quick shots of those that died didn't bother me since that's how I felt it occurred in the books.

I liked the epilogue, but just wish they did a better job aging the actors.
Old 08-14-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Yates, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Speaking of aging the actors, couldn't they have used the guy that played Harry's dad and then modified his face to look more like Harry? That actor is probably about the right age anyway and people do look different when they're older. Taking a 20 year old that still looks like he's 14 and trying to make him look almost 40 just doesn't work.

I actually thought the 2 girls looked ok as young looking women in their mid 30's but trying to pass off Harry and Ron as almost 40 failed miserably.
Old 08-14-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rather enjoyed it.

I have to say, though, Emma Watson is rather an awful actress, unfortunately.

Truly, they have make a miniseries to have all the content from the books, and these movies were basically stripped down "bare metal" so that the kiddies don't have to go to the bathroom more than once.
Old 08-15-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
I have to say, though, Emma Watson is rather an awful actress, unfortunately.
Yes but my son still has my permission to marry her. She's cute and rich, who needs talent?
Old 09-08-11, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
It was essence of ditenty (sp?) the stuff that re-grew ron's skin in pt. 1.

Spoiler:
In the book, they had the picture of the Slyterin headmaster in their bag. He told Snape that they were in the forest of Dean.
Another thing that my wife pointed out that was a pretty glaring omission from the book:
Spoiler:
The left out the relationship between Dumbledore and Grindalwald and the sister's death.
It seems like that was a pretty big reveal in the book and gave a lot of insight into Dumbledore.
Spoiler:
The part about snape sending the patronis really confused me. It has been awhile since I read the book, but doesn't he send the stag to Harry circa events from Pt. 1? Yet, he is talking to an alive Dumbledore??? This confused me.
Old 05-27-12, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Spoiler:
...Harry returned from King's Cross. The final battle as conceived by Rowling was damn near perfect. Harry defeats Voldemort with everyone watching in awe. Then, an eruption of triumph. The teachers and the students deserved to see with their own eyes the end of this most-feared enemy, and Rowling knew that. Had the film depicted it that way, it would have been orgasmic.

Instead, no one sees anything. Voldemort disintegrates into shreds, and in the next scene, everyone is sitting around trading battle stories. There's no sense of euphoria. The mood suggests nonchalance. "Well, that's that." Someone might as well have said to Harry, "Well done, chap," and patted him on the back.

I had no feeling that anyone regarded Harry's achievement-- destroying the greatest threat the wizarding world had ever known-- as anything special. Hell, they practically ignored him as he walked through the Great Hall. It was all so anti-climactic. It lacked the punch the book delivered in spades.

How breathtaking to have watched Harry defeat Voldemort out in that courtyard with all of Hogwarts gathered around. Voldemort's curse rebounds, Harry catches the Elder wand, Voldemort dies by his own sword, and everyone explodes in absolute delight. Now that would have been an ending.

Now that I think about it, they didn't even have to do it that way. The death of Voldemort could have happened exactly as they filmed it. And then, to the sound of "Reunion of Friends" from the Chamber of Secrets score (beginning at the 3:28 mark), Harry enters the Great Hall to thunderous applause.

That, for me, is where the film dropped the ball.

There are a hundred little things they could have done throughout the series to enrich the overall story and give us something more coherent. I wish they had added a touch more here and there. Would have made the ending that much more fulfilling.

But, I love Harry Potter, and I've loved the journey over the past ten years. Eight features with the same cast. No one in 2001 would have believed that. A truly historic accomplishment. My great thanks to everyone involved for a beautiful, magical adventure.

--THX
I caught this on HBO OnDemand last night. I've seen all the previous movies and have not read any of the books.

This was my thought exactly. When Harry was walking through the great hall I was confused because I thought although people had died in the fight there would be more excitement that Harry won. I actually said out loud when they were on the bridge, "it can't end here?" I know a few have mentioned that would have been a perfect place to end it, but for someone who was't invested in the books and knew all the other details the 19 years later was a better way.

But if the book had Hogwarts around during the battle the movie should have also. The definitely dropped the ball there. The spoiler above hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by kantonburg; 05-27-12 at 08:57 AM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 05-27-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg

I do have one question. Was Snape Harry's real father (or was this mentioned somewhere else and I just missed it) or did he just love Harry's mother greatly after all these years?
Harry looks just like his father but has his mother's eyes. I think that's mentioned in just about every chapter of the series. Snape is projecting his anger at James for taking Lily away because of how much Harry looks like him.