Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Skyscraper and Hotel Trans are showing for me. I plan on seeing Skyscraper tonight.
Old 08-02-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

It appears I can only see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom today.
Old 08-02-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I cancelled the other day and I guess the last day of my sub was yesterday. But I will continue to watch the carnage.

From the AMC investor call yesterday:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edite...172908209.html

But my, my, how time flies when you're having fun. The A-List member count last night at midnight was 181,790. As we speak at this moment, it is exactly 182,275, which means that in 24 hours, we enrolled more than 7,000 people. Multiply 7,000 times 365, these are huge numbers. Now obviously that pace can't continue or we wouldn't think it could continue.
I'm sure they've had a huge surge in sign ups these past few days, but man rubbing it in MP's face there.
Old 08-02-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I literally can't see a thing playing at my top four theaters right now. Everything is grayed out....
Old 08-02-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
New Terms & Conditions for MoviePass:

1.) The first rule of MoviePass is do not use your MoviePass.
2.) The second rule of MoviePass is do not use your MoviePass.
3.) Do not use MoviePass after midnight — or before midnight.
4.) Do not get MoviePass wet.
5.) Do not expose MoviePass to bright light.
6.) Do not ingest MoviePass.
7.) MoviePass is not valid outside the United States.
8.) MoviePass is not valid in all 50 states.
9.) MoviePass is not valid in any state.
10.) [Flip coin, insert term here.]
These are still reasonable terms for my money. I'm sticking with it!!
Old 08-02-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Haha, these posts make it sound like it's a game now. Let's guess what the app will let me see today!
Old 08-02-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

All of the showtimes are in effect in my area with exception to MI6 and Christopher Robin. The Sorry to Bother You showing at my indie theater is back on and listed.
Old 08-02-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

MoviePass put out a press release today:

August 02, 2018 10:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--MoviePass™, the nation’s premier movie theater subscription service and a majority-owned subsidiary of Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (Nasdaq:HMNY) (“Helios”), today pushed back on comments by some in the theater industry who have predicted, and in some cases declared, its passing.

Exhibitors know that without MoviePass they will be able to continue to charge exorbitant prices for theater tickets and gouge customers with overpriced concessions. This is exactly the attitude the taxicab industry took when Uber entered their market.

Furthermore, any crowing about the uptick in box office receipts this summer season should include the fact that a significant percentage of that total is directly attributable to MoviePass subscribers.

Here’s just a sample:

MoviePass contributed nearly one-fourth of the domestic box office receipts for Lionsgate’s “Blindspotting” through the first Tuesday after its release.
MoviePass ticket purchases represented nearly 17 percent of Thursday night previews for Paramount’s “Book Club.”
For Warner Bros.’ “Tag,” which MoviePass promoted in-app, its purchases represented 13 percent of the film’s opening weekend domestic box office totals
MoviePass ticket purchases accounted for about 12 percent of the entire theatrical run for Magnolia Pictures’ runaway documentary hit “RGB.”
Overall, we believe as much as 6 percent of the industry’s total box office receipts can be traced to our loyal subscribers. It’s clear that because of MoviePass, more people are seeing more movies at fair prices. Instead of wishing us away, the industry, particularly the independent film producers, should be congratulating and supporting us. Absent MoviePass, exhibitors are fighting to preserve profits in a declining box office environment. That’s the doomed strategy.

Yes, we’re going through a rough patch not unlike what other disruptive enterprises experienced in their early days. Much of our issues can be attributed to the unprecedented growth in a business that just 12 months ago did not exist.
Old 08-02-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting how that doesn't mention the fact that as soon as a subscriber sees their 2nd movie in a month, the company loses money. That is not sustainable unless they start a pyramid scheme with investors.
Old 08-02-18, 01:50 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I just got a survey from AMC asking me about M:I Fallout and if I was ever a MP member, did I quit, plan to quit, etc.
Old 08-02-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They basically released the exact same press release yesterday, but they felt they had to include more language about how people should be congratulating and supporting them because AMC took a shot at them yesterday in their earnings call.

Seriously, check out the August 1 press release compared to today's one:
https://www.hmny.com/press-release/
Old 08-02-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Interesting how that doesn't mention the fact that as soon as a subscriber sees their 2nd movie in a month, the company loses money. That is not sustainable unless they start a pyramid scheme with investors.
In many cases, they lose money as soon as the subscriber uses MoviePass once.
Old 08-02-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They claim they make something like 6 to 8 bucks in non subscription revenue per user, so they probably break even on the first ticket unless somebody has like 19 dollar tickets. But yeah, still not great.
Old 08-02-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

OMG. Peak pricing is back. Mama Mia, Equalizer and Teen Titans go to the movies have red bolts for late afternoon shows for some theaters. $8 surcharge. Dude fuck this company
Old 08-02-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For $8 I'd rather pay full ticket price and not give MP my business, even if I had the card. I'd much rather see the "surcharge" go to the theater.
Old 08-02-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
For $8 I'd rather pay full ticket price and not give MP my business, even if I had the card. I'd much rather see the "surcharge" go to the theater.
Uh... the theater gets the same amount of money either way (unless you're talking eticketing, but I don't think there's surge pricing on eticketing). So you're basically just wasting money. Plus if you really wanted to screw moviepass, you'd use their service (counterintuitive, I know, which is part of the problem of their business plan).
Old 08-02-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Well not really. I know it seems that way but don't forget they are making money by pushing certain films and sharing user data. If you think the emails you are getting from them pushing you go to see this or that movie is being done out of the kindness of their hearts.. think again.

Having said that.. obviously they are losing money much faster than making it so obviously those things aren't paying off as well as they would like but they are trying to position themselves as a huge player in the market. I think if they can survive the next few months they may actually find themselves there and I think some of these folks jumping out of Moviepass right now might find themselves coming back to it at $14.95 instead of the $9.95 they had before. But I guess we'll see.. it's going to be a rough road..
Old 08-02-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife told me last week, “Don’t let those MoviePass people keep you from seeing movies for your reviews. Just use your senior discount!” LOL Love that woman...
Old 08-02-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Well not really. I know it seems that way but don't forget they are making money by pushing certain films and sharing user data. If you think the emails you are getting from them pushing you go to see this or that movie is being done out of the kindness of their hearts.. think again.

Having said that.. obviously they are losing money much faster than making it so obviously those things aren't paying off as well as they would like but they are trying to position themselves as a huge player in the market. I think if they can survive the next few months they may actually find themselves there and I think some of these folks jumping out of Moviepass right now might find themselves coming back to it at $14.95 instead of the $9.95 they had before. But I guess we'll see.. it's going to be a rough road..
I would say the strategy to try to direct users to smaller movies is a decent one if they can get studios to bite and give them some money, but the fact you can't be sure a movie will even be listed when you want to go is a huge huge problem. They already ruined people's expectations of how much they should pay and what they should get, plus if there's an AMC in your general area there's no universe where this is a better deal at 15 bucks. Also their stock tanking like I've never seen before means they can't raise any more money.

I said it before but in an earlier investor call they said they make approximately 6 to 8 bucks in non sub rev per user

But if it comes back, it comes back, and I highly highly doubt they will really prevent people from coming back onboard for 9 months like their TOS says. Since you won't be grandfathered into an old rate if you stay, if you want to jump ship and not deal with these shenanigans I don't think anything is stopping you.
Old 08-02-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by fujishig
But if it comes back, it comes back, and I highly highly doubt they will really prevent people from coming back onboard for 9 months like their TOS says. Since you won't be grandfathered into an old rate if you stay, if you want to jump ship and not deal with these shenanigans I don't think anything is stopping you.
Yep I don't disagree with that. I think they'll have to keep changing the model as it goes to keep afloat. For folks like me I don't have an AMC theater anywhere close by some MP is my only best choice - at least for now.

Having said that we only went to the movies 3-4 times a year before but since MP we've seen about 2 movies per month. So that was getting us in more and, of course, my wife can't possibly ever go to a movie without $15 in snacks. So I think it's been a big win for the theaters. Still seems odd to me they didn't embrace it a bit more.
Old 08-02-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

I checked the app earlier this afternoon and some showtimes were already missing, but no surge pricing yet. Surprisingly, there were options for The Spy Who Dumped Me available for late tonight. So I stopped by the theater and pre-purchased a ticket. Take that, MoviePass!
Old 08-02-18, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Look at what these motherfuckers at MP are doing now:

MoviePass subscribers are complaining they can't cancel the service, but there's a simple solution
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-button-2018-8
Old 08-02-18, 04:14 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

MoviePass subscribers are complaining they can't cancel the service, but there's a simple solution
They aren’t doing anything. People are dumb and don’t look at the drop down that says required. They just want to complain about everything. I cancelled and it as simple as can be.
Old 08-02-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

Wow. Those people are real idiots if they cant figure out the difference between "required" and "optional".
Old 08-02-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, their UI is atrocious. It says reason for cancellation required, then has a little arrow which is actually a dropdown but also points directly at a textbox that says additional comments. If you just look at it real quick (and miss that optional text), it looks like you have to put in a reason for cancellation in the text box and submit. And it shows no error or anything, it just doesn't do anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.