Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 05-31-18, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tanman
It's frustrating that they keep being distracted by these vanity projects. How long did Netflix exist as a company before they ventured in to their own producing?
I believe Netflix was at least profitable. They certainly weren't losing money like Moviepass is. I can remember when Netflix started, it's biggest obstacle was the internet's selling discs at such a loss it made rental an afterthought. Once the business model changed and there weren't dozens of e-tailers all competing to see how low they could sell a movie, rentals became more of a thing. Movies have their business model.
Old 05-31-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Plus, you can at least see the synergy of Netflix producing their own content to drive subscriptions. I don't understand how MoviePass creating their own content is supposed to drive more subscribers to their core business of movie tickets.
Old 05-31-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I believe Netflix was at least profitable. They certainly weren't losing money like Moviepass is. I can remember when Netflix started, it's biggest obstacle was the internet's selling discs at such a loss it made rental an afterthought. Once the business model changed and there weren't dozens of e-tailers all competing to see how low they could sell a movie, rentals became more of a thing. Movies have their business model.
That's my point. Netflix focused and figured out their business model first before becoming a content creator. Anyone that remembers the days of the DVD rental mailers knows it's come a long way. Moviepass needs to focus on it's core business model first.
Old 05-31-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBang
Plus, you can at least see the synergy of Netflix producing their own content to drive subscriptions. I don't understand how MoviePass creating their own content is supposed to drive more subscribers to their core business of movie tickets.
Excellent point. That's why I called it a vanity project.
Old 05-31-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

It's frustrating that they keep being distracted by these vanity projects. How long did Netflix exist as a company before they ventured in to their own producing?

Get your house in order first. Hire some statisticians and PR people to really go after the studios and theaters and show how valuable you are to them as a company and a game changer. Then hammer out a deal where everyone can profit and be happy and we can keep seeing movies for cheep.
This is one of the problems they are having in trying to show shareholder value -- they don't have any clear vision of their future. If you read their SEC filings, it is a whole bunch of throwing everything against the wall and seeing if they can get lucky with anything sticking.

Vanity projects seems right ... seems as if Mitch is just trying to duplicate what he learned at Netflix without fully understanding any of it.
Old 05-31-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Movie Pass needs to get their finances and accounting in order so they can survive the summer than do these bullshit side investments.

If they can figure out how to be a sustainable business, then maybe these projects would make sense. Seems like a waste of time and money for a company that's rumored to be a dead service walking.
Old 05-31-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
This is one of the problems they are having in trying to show shareholder value -- they don't have any clear vision of their future. If you read their SEC filings, it is a whole bunch of throwing everything against the wall and seeing if they can get lucky with anything sticking.

Vanity projects seems right ... seems as if Mitch is just trying to duplicate what he learned at Netflix without fully understanding any of it.
Exactly. Now I believe that this company is doomed but not necessarily from their business model but from their leadership.
Old 05-31-18, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Exactly. Now I believe that this company is doomed but not necessarily from their business model but from their leadership.
The thing Farnsworth is probably most famous for is founding the Psychic Discover Network, the one where LaToya Jackson told you to call a hotline to get psychic advice. The dude has a lot of experience in penny stocks and forcing companies into becoming penny stocks.

Here's an article from last year:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...peouts-in-past

Farnsworth said he had major success in the ’90s as the founder of the Psychic Discovery Network, which touted its nationwide network of psychics in TV ads, charging callers through a 900 number. A 1996 filing says Farnsworth produced an infomercial featuring La Toya Jackson to promote a psychic network. A 1998 bulletin from the Federal Trade Commission warned about abusive pay-per-call services and listed Farnsworth’s company as one that had received more than 50 complaints. Farnsworth said he knew of no complaints from the FTC.

Farnsworth said he’s held stakes in more than 30 ventures with various partners. “These ventures were extremely successful and allowed me to become an angel investor in multiple private companies,” he said in an email. The entrepreneur, who spends time in Israel and California, said he eventually sold his stake in the psychic business.

By 2001, he had gotten into penny stocks. Shares of three companies Farnsworth led dropped 99 percent during his tenure despite a steady stream of press releases about their ambitious plans.

The first was XStream Beverage Network Inc., which Farnsworth founded in 2001. He announced a deal to buy a European energy drink brand called Dark Dog, which he claimed was second to Red Bull in brand recognition. “They’re like head-to-head. It’s like a Pepsi, Coke-type thing,” Farnsworth told Bloomberg in a 2002 interview. The deal was never completed. By the time Farnsworth resigned as chairman in November 2007, XStream’s stock had dropped 99 percent.

The next month, Farnsworth reappeared as the CEO of Purple Beverage Co. and announced that the antioxidant-rich drink maker was going public in a reverse merger with a film company. The stock climbed as high as $3.24 in April 2008 as Farnsworth promoted it by signing up celebrity spokespeople, such as Chaka Khan. Sales didn’t take off, and the stock dropped 99 percent by the time Farnsworth resigned a year later.

By 2012, Farnsworth was chairman of LTS Nutraceuticals Inc., a multilevel-marketing vitamin company. The firm’s shares, which traded as high as $4.85 in 2011, fell 99 percent the next year and now trade for less than a penny. It isn’t clear when he left that firm because it didn’t make periodic regulatory filings.

In an email, Farnsworth said he invested his own money in LTS and XStream and took a seat on each company’s board “but did not run the day-to-day operations.”

Purple Beverage “was bad timing. Purple was a premium health beverage and we could not make it through the worst recession to hit the country since the 1930s,” he said in an email.

“I lost money in that investment for sure -- my own money,” he said separately in an interview. “I never sold stock. It wasn’t like I walked away with money or got stocks going and then dumped the stock.”

He said he’d learned from his mistakes, and had other successful investments. “I don’t know one entrepreneur out there that’s had all wins.”

Farnsworth later founded an app maker that developed a crime map called RedZone Maps. That firm merged with Helios & Matheson, a money-losing information technology firm with about 19 employees at the end of last year. Helios & Matheson says on its website it consults for clients including TD Ameritrade and BMW.
Old 06-01-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You missed a part of that article that needed to be in bold:

The next month, Farnsworth reappeared as the CEO of Purple Beverage Co. and announced that the antioxidant-rich drink maker was going public in a reverse merger with a film company.
Vanity projects indeed. Farnsworth has been trying to find a way into show business. MoviePass is his ticket. Explains a lot.

For what this is worth, the RedZone business is trying to be spun off into its own publicly-traded company.
Old 06-01-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, I didn't know anything about Farnsworth's past, but he always sounded like a huckster in the interviews and articles about MoviePass and their plans. I guess there was a reason why. That makes me have no confidence in MoviePass as a going concern, so I guess I'd better get my money's worth while I can.
Old 06-10-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I got the Picture email yesterday, so I guess I'm in the ever expanding Beta group for that "feature".
I honestly never thought that people seeing the same movie multiple times would be that much of a burden on them. (I never did that.)
I think Moviepass really could be "disruptive" to the industry, in a net positive way, but it's really tough to see what they're doing well long-term.
Old 06-10-18, 08:39 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

I used my MP for the 5th time yesterday and still have yet to receive the "email" yet. Soon though. I'll be seeing a movie a week for the next few months, so we'll see if my increased use will spark their attention.
Old 06-10-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I honestly never thought that people seeing the same movie multiple times would be that much of a burden on them. (I never did that.)
Purely anecdotal, but I've seen about 45 movies with MP since mid-December and I only did one repeat viewing, for Black Panther. However, I think summer lends itself to the type of movie you can see multiple times, to either go on the "ride" again, look for details/laughs you missed the first time, join friends for a viewing. I guarantee that if the restriction wasn't in place I would've seen Avengers and Deadpool again. Maybe even Solo.

I don't know how much of an effect that would have on MP, but it would probably hasten its inevitable demise by a few weeks.
Old 06-10-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Between the car coming out of storage, getting my woodworking ready for the craft shows, trying to get the pool ready, Golf, the trip to Paris and of course work, I've only seen one in a couple months. Deadpool on opening day. In this weather if I scoot from work on a Friday I'd rather hit the golf course than a movie theater. I'm not even getting my one movie a month but I hate to give up the deal. I keep thinking I'll go soon. I'm sure I'll go see Jurassic World if the reviews are anything but terrible.
Old 06-11-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I have had my Movie Pass for two months and have only seen two movies with it, but I got the picture email today....
Old 06-11-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Everyone should be part of the ticket verification within a couple weeks.

Last edited by TomOpus; 06-11-18 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah they announced they're rolling it out to everyone now.
Old 06-11-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Closed at 38 cents today ... been as low as 36. I need to shit or get off the pot with my notion of throwing some money at them — I guess I’ll try the Robin Hood app mentioned earlier.
Old 06-12-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Photo Verification has been pretty easy. It's only a hindrance when I visit theaters that are in areas where my phone gets a poor signal.

I've had MoviePass since February and I'm averaging about 4-6 films a month.
Old 06-12-18, 06:56 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I've had a few instances where I've closed the app before taking the picture of my stub. I've then gone to take the picture a little bit later and it is no longer requiring me to take it. I'm pretty sure I read that it wouldn't let you use the app to check in on the next movie until you take the picture even if you did close it, so not sure what is going on there.
Old 06-12-18, 01:55 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The Guy Who Owns MoviePass Says Losing Money Was the Plan All Along

Ted Farnsworth, the head of MoviePass's parent company, talked us through the controversial business model and explained what the app does with your data.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...ource=vicefbus
Old 06-12-18, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
The Guy Who Owns MoviePass Says Losing Money Was the Plan All Along

Ted Farnsworth, the head of MoviePass's parent company, talked us through the controversial business model and explained what the app does with your data.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...ource=vicefbus
Again, the ideas are good and the business model could work but they have a LONG way to go. And they keep talking about using data to help the theater and studio but I haven't seen ANY evidence of it whatsoever. They need to do more to convince theaters, focus on one of the big chains and the rest will follow. That way they stop the bleeding of cash.

Also comments like comparing Movie Pass to Orbitz with hotels or Uber with Taxis? Uh...Uber absolutely destroyed the taxi industry. Probably not the right comparison you're going for.
Old 06-13-18, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

His interviews still make little sense to me.

How do those theater deals work? Are theaters locked into the deal for a specific amount of time?
The contracts can be anywhere from a testing period of a year to five years. The theater is actually giving us a discount. That can go anywhere from 15 to 25 percent on the ticket. They’ll give us discounts, but we’ll also push people into the theater, give them more traffic, because they’re a partner theater.
I have seen no indication of them pushing partner theaters over other theaters. Any idea what he's talking about?

My whole thing was that you get the subscription side to break even, or a little bit of loss, while you’re making money in the other areas, the advertising side of it. When we came out everybody thought it was all about the subscription service, that that’s the only way we’re going to make money. We never really corrected that, because we didn’t want to, if only because we wanted to have the runway to where we could build this up with millions of subscribers with nobody else coming into the space, without giving away our little trade secrets.
Sounds like BS. He should have corrected it a long time ago if he cared about investors. What trade secrets? That they can invest in smallish movies? They're still losing money on every ticket sold to their own movie. Also a small loss?

Do you have a break-even point for subscriptions where you’ll be in the black?
It’s always been pretty much 5 million subscribers. That’s when we’re cash flow–positive. We’ve always said we’ll hit that by the end of this year, and I believe we’ll hit it before the end of this year.
I would love to see the math or the curve or whatever where more users makes them cash flow positive.
Old 06-13-18, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

For a company that’s in the red, I wonder how they can afford to charter a private jet and sponsor a big premiere event for what is essentially a low budget Indie film for Travolta.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-13-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://instagram.com/p/Bjus87ADb7W/

For a company that’s in the red, I guess they can afford to charter a private jet and sponsor a big premiere event for what is essentially a low budget Indie film for Travolta.
Every single part of this sentence is just bizarre.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.