Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 04-04-18, 07:27 PM
  #1026  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 29,225
Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yes. Either that or a heck of a coincidence. Two cards buying one ticket each, both declined on the kiosk then accepted at the counter. Only one was a movie pass.
Did the kiosk ask for a zip code? I’ve used an AMC kiosk twice and it asked for my zip code (for the “credit” card) both times. Worked just fine.
Old 04-04-18, 11:35 PM
  #1027  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

We’ve now used our cards at both kiosks and “human counters” (regular box office windows). No problems at either. The kiosks did ask for our ZIP code.
Old 04-05-18, 08:11 AM
  #1028  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,793
Received 805 Likes on 594 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I just signed up today for the 9.95 a month plan. I missed out on the cheaper plans, but everyone at work has been talking about Movie Pass so I thought I'd try it since Summer movie season is coming up.
Old 04-05-18, 08:22 AM
  #1029  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44,988
Likes: 0
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

MoviePass Acquires Moviefone In Move To Lure Subscribers & Increase Ad Revenue
http://deadline.com/2018/04/moviepas...ne-1202358902/
Old 04-05-18, 08:30 AM
  #1030  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,121
Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

They opened it back up to the "blocked" AMC theaters:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/mo...ut-1202744076/

Gotta get that Marvel money...

I'm not even sure what service MovieFone provides at this point.
Old 04-05-18, 09:19 AM
  #1031  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,521
Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I received a reply to my second attempt today. They advised me the theater I am wanting to use is not “an approved theater” and instead provided me with three alternative theaters to visit ... all in California.
Recently, I've had success with calling them at 855-336-3632.

I had an issue with reservations not being issued for an e-ticketing theater on Monday, and they were able to check me in manually so that I could use my card.
Old 04-05-18, 12:16 PM
  #1032  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,139
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I just signed up today for the 9.95 a month plan. I missed out on the cheaper plans, but everyone at work has been talking about Movie Pass so I thought I'd try it since Summer movie season is coming up.
So, we're chopped liver compared to your co-workers
Old 04-05-18, 03:13 PM
  #1033  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Did the kiosk ask for a zip code? I’ve used an AMC kiosk twice and it asked for my zip code (for the “credit” card) both times. Worked just fine.
It didn't ask for a zip code. That could have been the problem, I guess. The zip code that the Movie Pass app gave me to use was not the same as the zip code of the theater I was using it at, if that matters. Maybe the machine defaults to the local zip code? I was not asked for a zip code at the human counter. Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever had to enter a zip code for a Movie Pass transaction.
Old 04-05-18, 03:17 PM
  #1034  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not even sure what service MovieFone provides at this point.
I honestly didnt know they were even still around. I remember calling the number years ago to get showtimes before there was Fandango and when I didnt have access to the local newspaper. I always got a chuckle from the announcer voice answering "Thanks for calling MovieFone!".
Old 04-05-18, 03:29 PM
  #1035  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,612
Received 6,150 Likes on 4,185 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Requisite Seinfeld clip :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qM79_itR0Nc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-05-18, 03:33 PM
  #1036  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,191
Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I ordered my advanced ticket for Rampage via Sinemia. Now if I want to make another advanced ticket purchase I would have to see Rampage first. The system lets you buy only one advanced ticket at a time. If I wanted to watch another film before then, with Sinemia, I have to do what I do with Movie Pass and physically check in at the theater, without purchasing anything at home. I have the Sinemia 3-tickets per month deal.
Old 04-05-18, 05:51 PM
  #1037  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,139
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by jjcool
It didn't ask for a zip code. That could have been the problem, I guess. The zip code that the Movie Pass app gave me to use was not the same as the zip code of the theater I was using it at, if that matters. Maybe the machine defaults to the local zip code? I was not asked for a zip code at the human counter. Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever had to enter a zip code for a Movie Pass transaction.
The kiosk at AMC asked me for zip code of the card before I ever used MoviePass.
Old 04-06-18, 10:24 AM
  #1038  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,401
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Anyone have issues with AMC Stubs on the kiosk? Purchased tickets this morning and it couldn't find my email so I had to enter my AMC Stubs number. After my transaction I didn't get a print out of my point balance like I usually do and I didn't have "pending points" when I checked on the AMC app.

Wondering if AMC figured out a way to detect Moviepass cards, I believe the first 8 digits of the credit card is the same for all Moviepass cards.
Old 04-06-18, 10:32 AM
  #1039  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44,988
Likes: 0
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by outcastja
Anyone have issues with AMC Stubs on the kiosk? Purchased tickets this morning and it couldn't find my email so I had to enter my AMC Stubs number. After my transaction I didn't get a print out of my point balance like I usually do and I didn't have "pending points" when I checked on the AMC app.

Wondering if AMC figured out a way to detect Moviepass cards, I believe the first 8 digits of the credit card is the same for all Moviepass cards.
No issue using mine last night. I use the kiosk every time I go.
Old 04-06-18, 11:12 AM
  #1040  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,139
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by outcastja
Wondering if AMC figured out a way to detect Moviepass cards, I believe the first 8 digits of the credit card is the same for all Moviepass cards.
Are people posting MP cards now? I know the first four numbers denotes whether it's a Visa or MasterCard, etc.
Old 04-06-18, 12:12 PM
  #1041  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,401
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Are people posting MP cards now? I know the first four numbers denotes whether it's a Visa or MasterCard, etc.
I have two MP cards for my girlfriend and I, and both cards have the same first 8 numbers. I recall a thread on reddit about this topic, but do not know if it was accurate or not.
Old 04-06-18, 01:07 PM
  #1042  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44,988
Likes: 0
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

We're so excited to announce that E-Ticketing is now available at Landmark Theatres in Manhattan!

You're now able to purchase your ticket ahead of time and from any location. You don't need to bring your MoviePass to the theater. Once you purchase your ticket, you'll be given a confirmation code. Use this code as your ticket
I also just read Landmark is up for sale.
Old 04-06-18, 02:12 PM
  #1043  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Are people posting MP cards now? I know the first four numbers denotes whether it's a Visa or MasterCard, etc.
I thought it was just the first number that denoted the type of card. 3 for Amex, 4 for Visa, 5 for mastercard. I thought the first 4 were the same for all same type cards issued by the same bank, but my Chase visa cards have different first 4 digits, while both starting with a 4. My bank cards always start with the same first 4 digits.
Old 04-07-18, 12:08 AM
  #1044  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,912
Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

So anyone get asked to scan movie tickets yet? I wonder if it was just an empty threat. I would think they would want to get that squared away before the big summer movie season starts.
Old 04-07-18, 12:21 AM
  #1045  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 269
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tanman
So anyone get asked to scan movie tickets yet? I wonder if it was just an empty threat. I would think they would want to get that squared away before the big summer movie season starts.
I’ve been taking pictures and submitting my tickets for the last few weeks. I guess I “lucked out” and was chosen for the test run. It’s fairly easy, but annoying regardless.
Old 04-07-18, 12:45 AM
  #1046  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,912
Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by nasesco417
I’ve been taking pictures and submitting my tickets for the last few weeks. I guess I “lucked out” and was chosen for the test run. It’s fairly easy, but annoying regardless.
Oh really? That's interesting.
Old 04-07-18, 11:46 AM
  #1047  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,521
Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I also have to take pictures now when I buy tickets with the card. If I use it at an e-ticketing theater, I don't have to take a pic, which makes sense because when you do e-ticketing, they buy the ticket directly for you. There's no chance of you using the funds for something that you're not supposed to.
Old 04-07-18, 08:18 PM
  #1048  
Moderator
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 19,187
Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Just got my card in the mail today... gonna use it Tuesday.
Old 04-07-18, 11:24 PM
  #1049  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,912
Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I also have to take pictures now when I buy tickets with the card. If I use it at an e-ticketing theater, I don't have to take a pic, which makes sense because when you do e-ticketing, they buy the ticket directly for you. There's no chance of you using the funds for something that you're not supposed to.
Interesting. When does it notify you that you need to take a picture? Just worried if I've been somehow missing it.
Old 04-07-18, 11:41 PM
  #1050  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 269
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tanman
Interesting. When does it notify you that you need to take a picture? Just worried if I've been somehow missing it.
You’ll get an email stating that you’ll need to start submitting tickets as proof of purchase. Your app will update and it will automatically request that you submit your ticket prior to watching your next movie. I find it easiest to just go ahead and submit the ticket immediately after I buy it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.