Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

No more E-ticketing, so MoviePass is dead to me now. It's AMC A-List from now on.
Old 12-22-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, they don't want people to demand refunds when they change the terms again.
11 months into our subscription and Costco gave us a full refund
Old 12-22-18, 02:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
11 months into our subscription and Costco gave us a full refund
I only got a partial refund. Am tempted to complain for more, but I’d rather save my karma for potential bigger battles in the future.
Old 12-22-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

http://www.businessinsider.com/nasda...-stock-2018-12

The Nasdaq warned Helios and Matheson on Wednesday that it plans to suspend trading in the company's shares on December 28 and will move to have them delisted, Helios and Matheson disclosed Friday in a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The company plans to delay and potentially head off the delisting by appealing the exchange's decision.

But the company's chances of winning an appeal could be slim. The Nasdaq already decided that it won't give Helios and Matheson a 180-day extension to get its stock back above $1 a share, the standard which it has failed to meet since May of this year.

Helios and Matheson "received a written notice from [Nasdaq's] staff that the company has not regained compliance with [Nasdaq's listing standards] and is not eligible for a second 180-day period because the staff determined that it does not appear that it is possible for the company to cure the deficiency," the company said in its regulatory filing.
Old 12-22-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I wonder how many on the NASDAQ are pissed-off subscribers.
Old 12-22-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow ...

MoviePass got rid of a consultant accused of inappropriate behavior toward women after executives threatened to quit. His quiet return has shaken the company.

http://www.businessinsider.com/movie...-women-2018-12
Old 01-18-19, 01:06 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Man... they have really been spamming the hell out of me to sign up at these new prices. Sometimes twice a day.
Old 01-18-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I haven't heard a peep since I unsubscribed to email.
Old 01-18-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've been getting quite a few messages as well, but haven't unsubscribed.

What I found strange about the numerous attempts to get me to sign up is recalling that you can't do so for a number of months after you cancel. So I figured I'm not eligible based on that.
Old 01-18-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've been getting quite a few messages as well, but haven't unsubscribed.

What I found strange about the numerous attempts to get me to sign up is recalling that you can't do so for a number of months after you cancel. So I figured I'm not eligible based on that.
Oh, if you want to give them your bank account information I'm sure they'd happily let you.
Old 01-18-19, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Man... they have really been spamming the hell out of me to sign up at these new prices. Sometimes twice a day.
Same here. And I don't want to unsubscribe due to my suspicions that these assholes will sign me up again without notifying me.
Old 01-18-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

getting the same daily offers.
Old 01-18-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
^This ...

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Same here. And I don't want to unsubscribe due to my suspicions that these assholes will sign me up again without notifying me.
... and that^.
Old 01-18-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those e-mails feel like death throws ...

Yesterday HMNY filed paperwork with the SEC signaling it intends to spin MoviePass off into its own company. That company would be a “wholly owned subsidiary” of HMNY. (Two companies = twice the junk stock to sell!)

Today they filed paperwork with the SEC stating they intend to approach another reverse-split to bring up their share prices.

The de-listing appeal will be heard January 31st.

Closing price today: 1.3 cents.
Old 01-18-19, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
This is why I haven't, but I ended up doing it today. Just too much.
Old 01-18-19, 10:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the same twice-daily emails. I don’t understand why, because I’m still a member.
Old 01-19-19, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Movie Pass work again? I’d resign up if I can actually watch movies.
Old 01-19-19, 08:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Cube
Does Movie Pass work again? I’d resign up if I can actually watch movies.
You’d give them your bank account info? You’re braver than me.
Old 01-19-19, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You’d give them your bank account info? You’re braver than me.
Oh forget Movie Pass then. I was thinking they accepted credit cards.
Old 01-19-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow, i guess I got blackballed. I think I've gotten maybe 2 emails since cancelling last year. I did keep an eye on my card, didn't see any weird activity.
Old 01-24-19, 10:50 AM

The beleaguered ticketing service is trying to shake off its troubled image as a subscription company in a perpetual state of chaos and near collapse with a new marketing campaign and a fresh array of offerings that are being rolled out this month. The campaign, which includes print ads and a billboard in Times Square, contains images of enraptured moviegoers staring up at a big screen alongside the tagline “let’s go to the movies.”

“It’s a tribute to our friends in exhibition,” said Khalid Itum, executive VP of MoviePass, in an interview. “We’re saying that the best place to see a movie is a movie theater. That’s means getting off your couch and going to one. That’s sort of a story of human triumph fulfilled, as well as a story of our company fulfilling our promise to you as a consumer.”

It was a promise that Itum and his team acknowledge MoviePass frequently failed to keep. As the service struggled to stay solvent, it kept changing its offering. When MoviePass slashed its price to $9.99 a month for a plan that let customers see as many movies as they wanted, the company attracted millions of subscribers. But the offer was too good to be true, and MoviePass kept adding new restrictions and pricing plans, frustrating its users.

But the company believes it has found a break-even model that will allow it to improve its service and continue to operate. This month, MoviePass introduced a new series of plans, which vary in price depending on location. In the middle of the country, where tickets are cheaper, a monthly deal stars at $9.95 and allows customers to see three movies per month at some point during their theatrical run. That plan has been christened “select.” The most expensive plan, known as “red carpet,” costs $19.95 lets people see any three movies of their choosing at any time and in IMAX, 3D, and other premium formats. In major cities, where tickets are more expensive, costs range from $14.95 for the “select” plan to $24.95 for the “red carpet” package. Next week, Itum said MoviePass plans to reintroduce some sort of unlimited program that would enable users to see as many movies as they wanted each month. He did not reveal pricing for that plan.

After losing customers steadily, MoviePass says it has started to regain subscribers. It has also seen consumer sentiment improve. Prior to launching the new plans, only 44% of customers had a positive feeling towards MoviePass, according to data collected by NetBase. Last week, that rose to 59% of respondents having a positive view.

“I feel like we’re turning a corner,” said Itum .

When MoviePass first started making waves, many theater chains cried foul, with many major exhibitors such as AMC and Regal, refusing to work directly with the service. MoviePass was able to get around their objections because it paid full price for tickets and gave customers debit cards to make their purchase. Now the company is trying a less confrontational approach. Itum has been meeting with theater owners in recent weeks, and he’s introducing new offerings he hopes will be more widely embraced.

At one point, MoviePass predicted it would be able to make money by taking a cut of any concessions it helped sell. That enraged some theater owners, because products such as soda and popcorn are heavily marked up and are a major source of profits. The company is abandoning that kind of revenue sharing model and will only charge a small service fee for items it sells. Moreover, it is also abandoning a previous plan to ask theaters to give MoviePass a discount on the tickets that it sells, which was another source of friction. Beyond that, Itum and his team are working to introduce what it is calling a “red label” solution for exhibitors. It would enable them to launch their own subscription programs using MoviePass’s platform and technology. Instead of casting itself as a disruptor, MoviePass is striking, in Itum’s words, a “more humble” posture.

“Our new business strategy is stabilize , optimize, and grow,” he said.

The question is whether or not MoviePass has enough runway to make this change. MoviePass’s parent company, data firm Helios and Matheson Analytics, has lost hundreds of millions of dollars over the past year and its stock is about to be delisted for failing to meet Nasdaq’s $1-a-share price requirement. The company is exploring a possible spin-off as a way of hanging on to its publicly traded status, but the issues it faces are manifold and serious. Itum declined to comment on MoviePass’ parent company’s travails.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/m...H2orwlgFTeDleY
Old 01-24-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The most promising thing about that article is the part where they talk about using the platform to allow theater chains to launch their own subscription programs. But that does nothing for actual Moviepass subscribers. And if I were a theater chain (or at least a decently sized one) there's no way I'd give up all that data to them.

Other than that I still don't see a valid business plan, nor do I see why their approval rating somehow went up or their claim that subscribers are coming back. In fact they are removing more eticketing theaters, which is basically the only reason to subscribe.

I just looked at their stock price, well below a penny now.
Old 01-24-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

$24.95 a month for any three movies at any time is actually appealing to me. That's cheaper than buying three tickets.
Old 01-24-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

So they're switching it over to the Sinemia plan?
Old 01-24-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So they're switching it over to the Sinemia plan?
I would have signed up for Sinemia but don't they require it to be billed annually? No thanks, I only want month to month. It does seem like a great deal though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.